How Things Have Changed

Old October 2nd 05, 11:12 AM
Juan

Default How Things Have Changed

2 or 3 years ago I used to check this group everytime I was online.
Now, a weekly check is enough to notice that there's just a few new
threads (if any).

To make things worse, most of the posts are about fountain pens I don't
like at all (and according to the posts, I'm not alone here), gel
refills, and the ever present post about a permanent brand of ink which
seems you have to love if you want to post here. What's so special
about a waterproof ink? Do regular users of fps really need that? Do
you work in a camp in the rainforest?. BTW, I find that the names of
some of the colors are simply put *bad taste* (Tiananmen, Iraqi
Indigo...).

Juan, missing the good old days

Old October 2nd 05, 12:25 PM
Bruce

"Juan" wrote in news:1128247950.205920.266350
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

2 or 3 years ago I used to check this group everytime I was online.
Now, a weekly check is enough to notice that there's just a few new
threads (if any).

To make things worse, most of the posts are about fountain pens I don't
like at all (and according to the posts, I'm not alone here), gel
refills, and the ever present post about a permanent brand of ink which
seems you have to love if you want to post here. What's so special
about a waterproof ink? Do regular users of fps really need that? Do
you work in a camp in the rainforest?. BTW, I find that the names of
some of the colors are simply put *bad taste* (Tiananmen, Iraqi
Indigo...).

Juan, missing the good old days

Waterproof ink is a security feature for those concerned about anyone who
might attampt to alter a legally binding document, or financial instrument:
such as a check.

Old October 2nd 05, 12:41 PM
Juan

Bruce wrote:
[...]

I see; and as millions of people are signing checks with fountain pens,
there a lots of people out there altering checks, right?

If you're concerned about having any legal document altered, avoid
black ink, and since you're at it, avoid also "flat" colour ink. IMHO,
any traditional fp blue ink with its waterwash look is harder to alter
than most of those Noodler inks.

One of the things I like about fountain pens is that what's written
*ages* in a nicely way. I've seen in some movies people writing with
dipping pens using brown ink. That's smoke and mirrors; when dipping
pens were the rule, people used black or blue ink which with time
turned brown because of oxidation.

Today, we have brown ink for that aged effect, but then it seems that
people want their documents to stay in pristine conditions for decades.
This is a strange world, huh?

Juan

Old October 2nd 05, 05:38 PM
Sally G. Waters

"Juan" wrote in news:1128247950.205920.266350
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

BTW, I find that the names of
some of the colors are simply put *bad taste* (Tiananmen, Iraqi
Indigo...).

Juan, missing the good old days

I agree about the ink names, as well as the names of some of the more
expensive, "collectable" pens. Have
long thought that an amusing (though quite tacky) contest would be to pick
the worst POTENTAL names for an ink
and for an expensive pen (esp. Krone, which loves to put some little piece
of an artifact relating to the honoree on
the pen itself, such as a piece of Babe Ruth's bat). Right off the bat (not
Babe Ruth's though), here are my
nominees:
For potential bad taste ink name: Katrina Mold Green
For potential bad taste pen: The Michael Jackson, honoring the singer, with
celluloid body that becomes
lighter with use and a tiny bit of Plastic Nose #3 encased in the cap.

Sally

Old October 2nd 05, 06:38 PM
*david*

Juan wrote:

2 or 3 years ago I used to check this group everytime I was online.
Now, a weekly check is enough to notice that there's just a few new
threads (if any).

I've been missing us as well. :-(

To make things worse, most of the posts are about fountain pens I don't
like at all (and according to the posts, I'm not alone here), gel
refills, and the ever present post about a permanent brand of ink which
seems you have to love if you want to post here. What's so special
about a waterproof ink? Do regular users of fps really need that? Do
you work in a camp in the rainforest?. BTW, I find that the names of
some of the colors are simply put *bad taste* (Tiananmen, Iraqi
Indigo...).

None of us "need" any of this - we could all just use a Bic.
I agree the names of Noodlers' ink might be in bad taste sometimes.
There's a fine line between unique/interesting and offensive, and it's
occasionally hard to tell which side of that line Nathan intends to be
on.

Bruce wrote:
Waterproof ink is a security feature for those concerned about anyone who
might attampt to alter a legally binding document, or financial instrument:
such as a check.

I see; and as millions of people are signing checks with fountain pens,
there a lots of people out there altering checks, right?

If you're concerned about having any legal document altered, avoid
black ink, and since you're at it, avoid also "flat" colour ink. IMHO,
any traditional fp blue ink with its waterwash look is harder to alter
than most of those Noodler inks.

Have you tried?
We're talking about removal, not alteration. Alteration is no longer
used as much by forgers, apparently, because complete removal of
everything except your signature is usually easy if one soaks the
cheque in the correct chemicals. They can then fill in whatever they
like. This is not hard for them to do with ballpoint ink.

Noodler's black ink might be relatively easy to add more black marks
on, because of its un-shaded colour, but it can't be removed without
damaging the paper. (Noodler's waterproof ink is also available in
other colours, which may have some shading to them.)

One of the things I like about fountain pens is that what's written
*ages* in a nicely way. I've seen in some movies people writing with
dipping pens using brown ink. That's smoke and mirrors; when dipping
pens were the rule, people used black or blue ink which with time
turned brown because of oxidation.

Today, we have brown ink for that aged effect, but then it seems that
people want their documents to stay in pristine conditions for decades.
This is a strange world, huh?

Absolutely. I'm sure the people who wrote those special old documents,
that we now see as pleasantly aged, were always trying for the darkest
most permanent black ink and the brightest, sharpest, smoothest white
paper they could get, and wanted their documents to stay in pristine
condition for decades also. I don't understand the wish for ink that
gives an aged effect, except for use in movies and so on.

Hoping more discussions come up
David

Old October 2nd 05, 07:48 PM
KCat

my apologies, Juan. - i accidently sent this to you in private email. meant
to post it

Waterproof ink is a security feature for those concerned about anyone

who
might attampt to alter a legally binding document, or financial

instrument:
such as a check.

I see; and as millions of people are signing checks with fountain pens,

millions? not sure. But there are a lot of Europeans and Asians donig so I
imagine since FPs are still quite popular to use there.

there a lots of people out there altering checks, right?

as far as altering checks. Yes, there are a lot of people who do that.
Mostly people who get said checks and wash them. I've actually seen a
documentary on the issue and it seems a lot of small-time crooks (largely
drug addicts?) have learned this rather simple technique and use it
regularly. maybe it's unique to US crime but it's certainly isn't rare. if
people get a little extra sense of security, what's wrong with that?

also - i've had letters sent to friends that got soaked due to
less-than-conscientous postal carriers and much of the letters were
illegible because I insist on using FPs instead of ballpoints or gels. That
saddens me and the recipient. but i'm not going to change to ballpoints as
my hands can't take the pain they inflict.

of course you don't have to worship the ink to post here but they are the
"latest thing" and therefore will get a lot of attention for a while. Just
as PR did when they first started production. i personally love about 4 of
the Noodler's inks and have not been overly fond of most of them. But I'm
thankful to have them. just as I'm thankful to have PR DC Blue. DIamine
Prussian blue...

i agree this group has lost it's luster, but we can't blame Nathan or ink
fanatics for that. my feeling has always been if you don't like the tone or
topics on a group, change it! Don't just whine about it then do nothing.
post more of the topics you're interested in and more of them might be
picked up on and discussion continued.

pens were the rule, people used black or blue ink which with time
turned brown because of oxidation.

and your point is? i don't expect to be around in 50 years when my writings
show that "aged" look. And i happen to like brown ink on ecru paper *as I
write*.

Today, we have brown ink for that aged effect, but then it seems that
people want their documents to stay in pristine conditions for decades.
This is a strange world, huh?

i don't care about the pristine condition thing - i do care about the
immediate condition and an appealing ink color that won't wash away because
some twit decided they don't care if my letter gets rainsoaked or some snail
friend accidently drops it in a puddle has value to me.

at any rate - you might try to be part of the group rather than just ragging
on it.

or for that matter, look around at the numerous other pen groups. if you
want to debate issues vehemently (but make sure you don't disagree with the
moderator) go to Lion & Pen. If you want to be part of a whacky community
that talks about pens paper and everything else in life, try the Fountain
Pen Network. If you want to be a part of a slighltly more serious group,
Rambling Snail is a good choice. If you want the high-speed, charged up
emotional atmosphere of Pentrace, then that's the place to be. or if you
like facets of all of these...

the truth is Usenet is losing it's luster as a whole. Some groups still
hold their value but with web forums becoming so popular and having the
ability to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak, Usenet simply isn't as
appealing to most people. the reason I don't post here often is mostly
because I prefer my pen talk light-hearted and mixed with a healthy dose of
real life but lacking in the sniping and crudity of some other non-moderated
boards. To each their own.

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old October 2nd 05, 08:18 PM
Juan

Hi KCat. Glad to hear from you. There's nothng wrong with Noodler or
PReserve inks. The more inks, the best. But when all the talking is
about a couple of issues, things get boring. I've started some threads
in the last year or so, and the focus of attention of this group has
changed.

My only complain about Noodlers is the name of some inks. Period.

Now, I don't try to look like PC or anything (I'm probably the less P
Correct in town). But you have to admit that *one* of the things that
makes FP writing different lies in the ephimerous nature of ink. Now it
looks like people want to use a fp that writes like a gelpen. Sorry,
but one of the things I like fps is the nuances in colour, the
shadowing, waterwashing look, aging...

Juan

Old October 2nd 05, 09:46 PM
Sonam Dasara

On 2 Oct 2005 03:12:30 -0700, Juan typed:

. What's so special
about a waterproof ink? Do regular users of fps really need that? Do
you work in a camp in the rainforest?.

Juan, missing the good old days

Well, I have to agree with you there ; this waterproof thing eludes
me also. In the past 8 years (since I've banked electronically) I have
written exactly four checks. Yes, four, and I write them with a
ball-point. Perhaps many FP users are Luddites and don't bank
electronically???? Could this be???

In addition, I'm a lawyer, and sign all of my correspondence and
documents with a fountain pen, using my collection of, PR and Herbin
inks. No reason that I skip Noodlers, I just have enough of a supply
of my old favorites.
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/2/2005 4:41:56 PM
Old October 3rd 05, 01:36 AM
Viseguy

Juan wrote:
... But you have to admit that *one* of the things that
makes FP writing different lies in the ephimerous nature of ink. Now it
looks like people want to use a fp that writes like a gelpen. Sorry,
but one of the things I like fps is the nuances in colour, the
shadowing, waterwashing look, aging...

The Noodler's waterproof inks have all of those characteristics. They
are water-based, and the mixture of dyes with water is what produces
the nuances and shading. It has nothing to do with being ephemeral.
I, for one, don't see ephemerality as a virtue in an ink, except maybe
in a disappearing ink. ;-)

--
Viseguy

Old October 3rd 05, 02:22 AM
Viseguy

Sonam Dasara wrote:
Well, I have to agree with you there ; this waterproof thing eludes
me also. In the past 8 years (since I've banked electronically) I have
written exactly four checks. Yes, four, and I write them with a
ball-point. Perhaps many FP users are Luddites and don't bank
electronically???? Could this be???

Hmmm, I wouldn't equate not banking electronically with being a
Luddite. I know more than a few computer-savvy people who still prefer
to do their banking the old-fashioned way. I've been e-banking for 10+
years (longer than I've used FPs), and so I don't write many checks
either. But for the few I do write I'd much rather use Noodler's Black
than an ink that lacks its anti-fraud properties. To me, that's a
no-brainer.

In addition, I'm a lawyer, and sign all of my correspondence and
documents with a fountain pen, using my collection of, PR and Herbin
inks....

I use one or another of the Noodler's eternal inks for just about all
of my writing. On one level, I view the eternal qualities as something
like insurance. You hope you never need them, but having them you rest
easier. Beyond that, I find that the eternal inks hold up better than
regular FP inks under "battle conditions", e.g., inter-office notes
passed back and forth between colleagues. (And, yes, I do use e-mail
at work.) It's also nice to be able to use an FP to address an
envelope.

And I like the idea that FPs can better compete with non-water-based
pens in the area of permanence, something that the average person seems
to expect in a pen as a matter of course. You could argue that most
writing is ephemeral anyway, so what's the difference? But if it gives
FPs more of an edge in the marketplace, why not?

--
Viseguy