Looking For an Ink Recommendation

Old July 15th 04, 12:01 AM
Nancy Handy

Jeremy wrote:
I live in Philadelphia, and we have an art
supply company, Pearl Art Supply, that might carry some of these inks in
stock. Too bad I can't sample them before I buy, somewhat like trying out
colognes with those tester bottles at department stores . . .

The Pearl Art by me has none of those inks that were mentioned. They
don't carry Noodler's or Private Reserve or Omas. They might have
Skrip, Quink, Waterman, or Pelikan which are all run-of-the-mill safe
(but not exciting) inks.

I think Skrip and Quink are watered down, safe versions, that don't
look like anything special. They're the safest inks in town, but I
guess I like to live more dangerously than that. Yeah, I'm an ink rebel!
I was surprised someone mentioned Montblanc blue. Ugh, pass the barf
bag! And I think Aurora is pretty, but too purple. I agree, however,
that Levengers is a pretty blue even if it takes the patience of Job to
wait for it to dry.

Be daring, man, go for the gusto of inks - Private Reserve American
Blue or its conterpart, Private Reserve 2003 DC Supershow Blue. I heard
that the 2004 DC Supershow Blue was lighter, but I have hoarded enough
of the other to last for some time. I stopped counting my inks when
they got to over 100, but I have at least one pen filled with the
stunningly brilliant Private Reserve 2003 Supershow Blue (equivalent of
PR American Blue) every single day.

Check around for prices. I think Sam from www.pendemonium.com has some
for you and probably some other fine vendors as well such as Chuck
Swisher and AnnMarie from Ink Palette.

Nancy
Old July 15th 04, 01:15 AM
Jeremy

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
. ..
Jeremy wrote:
[...]

Surely you don't flush inks from your pens and replace them with different
colors! You must have a ton of pens.

I have few opportunities to use mine for more than signatures right now,
although I send out a lot of business correspondence (unfortunately mostly
by email, fax and word processor). I remember when I embraced all this
modern stuff. That was before I had to restore from backups after my
computer system crashed several dozen times (the most recent being due to
an email-infected virus).

Now I yearn for simpler times again. I never got, or gave, a virus with a
handwritten note . . .

Thanks for the recommendations.

Old July 15th 04, 04:03 AM
Nancy Handy

Jeremy wrote:

Surely you don't flush inks from your pens and replace them with different
colors!

No. I fill a pen and use the pen till it runs dry. Then I flush some
water in if I want to change the color.

You must have a ton of pens.

I've got a few.

I have few opportunities to use mine for more than signatures right now,

Hopefully you will start writing to your old aunt Gertrude or someone
else who would be glad to hear from you.

Nancy
Old July 15th 04, 05:57 AM
Dave

Though it isn't one of Nancy's "glamorous" inks, all of which are good
choices, Waterman Florida Blue (which is Waterman's ordinary shade of
blue, by the way) has a good blue colour, not greenish at all, and is
usually fairly easy to find in stock at ordinary stores (which the
others may not be).

Nancy's suggestions are easy to get by web or mail order, but you won't
find them as easily when you go for a walk.

(Waterman black, on the other hand, is fuzzy grey and not really
black-looking at all.)

David
Old July 15th 04, 05:35 PM
Nancy Handy

Dave wrote:

Though it isn't one of Nancy's "glamorous" inks, all of which are good
choices, Waterman Florida Blue (which is Waterman's ordinary shade of
blue, by the way) has a good blue colour, not greenish at all, and is
usually fairly easy to find

I loved Waterman Florida blue for years and years till I fell in love
with the LE ink (geez I hate when they limit an ink) called Omas Roma
2000 Blue. Then I stockpiled that one till they came out with the
remarkable LE ink (again, I hate the LE ink idea) Private Reserve 2003
DC Supershow Blue. Private Reserve smartened up and introduced PR
American Blue permanently into their line which is hard to distinguish
from the LE version. Now there's this new LE ink called Diamine
Tropical Blue 2004, which I didn't want to get suckered into buying but
I did at FPH on Tuesday. It's kind of nice, but I'll stick with the PR
2003 DC SS Blue and the PR American Blue when it runs out.

Waterman Florida Blue is quite nice and you can still be an ink rebel if
you use it. Only Quink and Skrip users dot all their i's and cross all
their t's and make full stops plus an extra ten seconds at stop signs.
LOL

Nancy

Old July 15th 04, 05:45 PM
Bluesea

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

...That was before I had to restore from backups after my
computer system crashed several dozen times (the most recent being due to
an email-infected virus).

Now I yearn for simpler times again. I never got, or gave, a virus with a
handwritten note . . .

Yeah, the world was easier when viruses, trojans, etc. were confined to
attachments and all we had to do was refrain from opening them.

You're using OE, right? Are you aware that if you go to Tools - Options -
Read and check the box next to Read all messages in plain text, it will
prevent any html-borne nasties from working? Of course, you won't be able to
see all the fancy stationery, fonts, and such that people are getting into,
but after the pain of clearing your machine of a virus, do you really care?
You can always uncheck the box to see an individual message as the creator
intended and then recheck it again.

You will continue to be able to see photos as usual so changing your
settings won't make viewing .jpg files from family and friends any more of
an inconvenience than before.

Of course, this is addition to your firewall and anti-virus software and MS
security updates that you keep current.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 15th 04, 08:31 PM
Jeremy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

You're using OE, right? Are you aware that if you go to Tools - Options -
Read and check the box next to Read all messages in plain text, it will
prevent any html-borne nasties from working?

I have, from necessity, become quite the advanced amateur when it comes to
malware, spyware and viruses.

I have set up my Security Zone to maximum, for IE6, OE and Outlook 2000.
All of my emails are in text only--no html.

I run several different types of spyware/malware scanners: SpyBot Search &
Destroy, AdAware, A-Square, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, CWShredder. I
run AVG Anti-Virus and I update the signatures at least once daily. My
email server at EarthLink also scans all incoming emails with Symantec
Anti-Virus and anything containing a virus doesn't get into my email box.

I have spam control turned on, and BrightMail provides the spam signatures.
I have encrypted all of my data files, using professional encryption
software from PC Guardian.

I use ZoneAlarm as my personal firewall, and I have it set to close all
ports whenever my screensaver activates (after 10 minutes of no activity),
just to be sure that nothing gets by me if I leave my computer for a break.

I use dial-up internet, not broadband, so I don't have an "always on"
connection.

Finally, I use the Anonymizer cloaking service, to strip out all JavaScript,
ActiveX Controls, Cookies, pop-ups a,d all my browsing is via SSH
encryption. Even my ISP can't see where I browse, because everything goes
through the Anonymizer proxy.

My computer is so protected against intruders that one third of my system
resources are used up just running all that junk in the background!

And, you know what? I STILL get an occasional browser hijack or spyware
applet deposited on my hard drive (Stay away from the New York Times web
site--they always put spyware onto your computer--read their privacy
policy!).

When I got my first PC in 1990 (DOS 3.3), I embraced the prospect of
sophisticated technology. Now all I get are headaches when I try to use my
computer. It seems like everyone thinks they have the right to control my
computer remotely. And the big internet sites--the ones you would not
ordinarily suspect of abuse--are the worst ones of all.

Even Western Union is now SELLING your financial information--your bank
account number, dates and amounts of transactions, names of your
payees--when you use their funds transfer services to pay your car payment
or send money to relatives! Their disclosure statement says that they
reserve the right to sell the info to "neighborhood merchants, florists,
stock brokers and insurance salesmen."

Now contrast that with paying by the lowly checking account. 1: Your bank
is prohibited from selling your transaction information, by law. 2: Once
you seal the envelope and put a stamp on it, federal law and postal
regulations protect the confidentiality of its contents. 3: Unlike your
credit/debit cards, it is somewhat harder for a crook to forge your
signature or to get any of your blank checks. Certainly, no kid in Bulgaria
can steal your checks the same way he can hack into your computer and steal
your identity. 4: You can't get a virus in snailmail. Not even the AIDS
virus (it dies quickly in the air)!! 5: You don't need a digital ID (which
can be stolen from your computer if you're not careful) to establish who you
are. In fact, if you use any special inks, your handwritten signature is
that much more distinctive and secure. 6: So it takes some time to sit down
and write notes and checks. Email and electronic transactions are faster.
But, once one takes into account all the money spent on maintaining an
Internet connection, and buying all that antivirus/malware/encryption
software, and the TIME it takes to scan one's system each day, does having
electronic access really result in one's having any more time? Not for me!

When I mail a note, the contents are protected both by federal law and by
thousands of dedicated postal workers, who understand my right to privacy.
When I send an email, it passes to the recipient over a dozen different
networks, and can be read or intercepted and blocked, without my knowledge.

That $.37 stamp doesn't look so expensive by comparison anymore.

Cheers.

Old July 15th 04, 08:38 PM
Dave

Nancy Handy wrote:

Private Reserve smartened up and introduced PR American Blue permanently into
their line which is hard to distinguish from the LE version.

I haven't tried American Blue - how does its colour compare to
Waterman's? (I know it'll be much more saturated - but (for instance) I
don't like Lake Placid Blue because it's too greenish. I actually like
the look of Tanzanite better, but it really is purplish purple, not
purplish blue.) :-)

To my eyes, Waterman comes pretty close to
not-green-not-purple-just-Blue.

Waterman Florida Blue is quite nice and you can still be an ink rebel if you
use it. Only Quink and Skrip users dot all their i's and cross all their t's
and make full stops plus an extra ten seconds at stop signs.
LOL

I didn't know there was a roving band of ink rebels! Where do I sign up?
(and with what? - REAL ink rebels would sign up using India ink in a
priceless vintage pen, but I'm more of a milquetoast-y kind of rebel,
thinking of buying orange ink one day and no further than that.)

David
Old July 15th 04, 08:46 PM
Jeremy

"Dave" wrote in message
Nancy Handy wrote:

[...]

My ideal blue is one that looks "blue" on ecru paper. That is why I want a
saturated color ink. I don't think I'd be sp picky if I was intending to
use the ink on white paper.

I did forget one other item: I want an ink that will not fade over time, or
fade in the sun. One recommendation I received for Black was to use
Pelikan, because it was very deep black, and because it was available in 1
litre bottles, not just the 1 or 2 ounce sizes. It is supposedly also
somewhat thicker and smoother than the Scrip that I am now using.

As black is the color of choice for all formal correspondence, I want to
settle on a good black ink, too. But I must confess that I like blue better
for signatures on business letters. I might just try a dipping pen for use
with all the other colors--so I don't have to flush out a pen when I feel
like changing colors.

Too bad about Scrip blue--it looks so weak when it dries.

Old July 15th 04, 09:24 PM
Dave

My question got lost in my goofing around. Here it is, no mustard no
pickles:

Is PR American Blue greener than Waterman, purpler than Waterman, or
about the same?

Thanks
David