Ink Question

Old April 22nd 04, 03:40 AM
john cline ii

I am a lover of Aurora Black but also use Waterman Black, which might
better be called charcoal.

I also have purchased, but not yet tried, Nathan's Noodlers Black,
which I am told is virtually waterproof.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

john cline ii, whose ink tastes run to black, blue-black and blue, for
the most part, with an occasional bottle of PR Tanzanite thown in for
good measure.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:24 AM
Jolyon Wright

john cline ii wrote:

I also have purchased, but not yet tried, Nathan's Noodlers Black,
which I am told is virtually waterproof.

I have a bottle of Noodlers black on order & was hoping that someone on this
thread had tried it; we must be ink pioneers!

jolyon

Old April 22nd 04, 08:35 AM
Nancy Handy

BLandolf wrote:

I've used both inks (Quink and Aurora) and lots of other different
blacks, and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between text
written in Quink Black and text written in Aurora Black

I thought the Quink looked a little bit grayish when I tried it. I
didn't like it and got rid of it.

Aurora Black has never damaged a pen of mine. Have you heard of it
damaging a pen?

I use Aurora Black. I never heard of it damaging a pen, but I know that
Frank used to rave about Quink and Skrip so often that I assume it does
less damage than any other inks. I think they are more watery and less
dye-intensive. BUT I'm still sticking with Aurora when I want a deep
black ink.

Nancy
Old April 22nd 04, 05:22 PM
Chuck Swisher

Jolyon wrote:

I have a bottle of Noodlers black on order & was hoping that someone on

this
thread had tried it; we must be ink pioneers!

We sell this ink (and most of the others mentioned) and I liked it so much
we put our company name on the bottles. I took my once favorite Aurora
Black, Parker Quink Black and Nathan's Noodler's Black (this will soon be
sold on our web site
under the Swisher Pens label) and addressed an envelope with each ink. I
then let them set for about 5 minutes and submerged all three in water for
over 20 minutes. In the following scan you can see that one of the inks
turned blue, another ran somewhat and one did just about nothing (which is
very good).

http://www.swisherpens.com/swisherpe...elope_Test.jpg

The second test consisted of using the same ink in writing 3 checks. Again,
the amount of drying time and soaking in water was the same as before. As
you can see in the following scan the results were again very similar:

http://www.swisherpens.com/swisherpe...Check_Test.jpg

I'm not saying that Nathan's ink is some kind of miracle ink, only that I am
very impressed with how durable I found it in these unscientific tests. I
have always tried to persuade customers and friends from using fountain pen
ink for addressing envelopes.

At this time the black ink is the only color that Nathan calls "Extremely
Water Resistant" but testing is being done at this moment on a Blue that
will also hold up under this type of water testing. Unfortunately, the blue
ink is going to be considerably more expensive than the black and somewhat
more difficult to clean from certain types of pens (works great in piston
fill, button fill, lever fill and converters).

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher at

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 539-2209
TF: 1-888-340-PENS (7367)
Fax: (757) 925-2787

Old April 23rd 04, 12:41 AM
JP

After going through the rainbow experience with PR and Herbin
I became totally enamored with the crispness and high contrast of black on
the page.
I've got Penman, Pelikan, Skrip, Quink, Montblanc, Aurora and Waterman's.
I would agree that the Aurora is the blackest.

After I first read about the water test a few months ago I tried it on all
my inks,
two to three minutes to dry and then under the kitchen sprayer.
All will result in a surviving address, though the montblanc fades badly,
the pelikan not quite as bad.

I was having trouble with a vintage watermans that was dripping ink through
the
feed if I paused too long to think. The maven who adjusted it suggested I
switch to
Watermans or Skrip, in his view those inks are closest to what my 80 year
old pen
was designed to be filled with, he felt Aurora is a thinner modern ink.
Whether it was the adjustment or the ink switch the drip stopped.
When I tested the Skrip I was impressed with its water resistance.
Much better than Pelikan or Aurora.

Since I read about the creation of Noodler's I have wanted to buy it.
As if I needed it.
I'm forcing myself to wait though until I at least finish another bottle of
ink.
Is it heresy to discard PR?

JP

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 23rd 04, 05:13 AM
Garglemonster

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:41:14 GMT, "JP"
said:

JP Is it heresy to discard PR?

assuming there's nothing growing in it, that would a bit of a waste.
in any case, it's certainly not a heresy.

--

Gibble, Gobble, we ACCEPT YOU ...
Old April 23rd 04, 04:45 PM
KCat

"BLandolf" wrote in message
siDetRaked wrote:

How about Pelikan 4001 black ink?

I've only tried 4001 blue black which is a great ink *colour* - but the flow
is rather stingy. If you have a very wet-writing nib you'd like to slow
down, than it's a good choice. Their black and blue inks may be different -
can't make a direct comparison.

I never liked WM black to be honest - too uh.. "subtle" for my tastes. Yet
I love other WM colours.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:49 PM
KCat

of course "value" is subjective to some degree - if you dislike the ink and
won't use it.. than it's still wasted $.

OTOH - the nice thing about the pen community is if you buy the ink and
decide you hate it (regardless of the brand) then you could probably find
someone who will trade inks with you. Some people say they pour inks down
the drain after deciding they're worthless. It's not in my nature to do
this so I still have the darn Raven black sitting in an old skrip bottle as
if I'll ever use it.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:57 PM
KCat

Is it heresy to discard PR?

JP

yes!

but more seriously - I just mentioned such behavior above and it is
distasteful to me. :-) Not being judgmental, just that it makes my stomach
lurch when someone wants to dump ink that someone else might enjoy using.

Consider putting it on the various boards as a sale or trade - Rambling
Snail has a Trade/Sell board with a "permanent" ink swap thread at the top
(so you can contribute at any time and the trade requests stays visible
until you say the ink is gone.)

And of course, I know some of us regularly scan Pentrace's Market board for
ink sales and trades.

Rather than flushing an ink - consider seeking a trade first - on this group
or elsewhere.

Old April 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
PENMART01

"KCat"

Rather than flushing an ink - consider seeking a trade first - on this group
or elsewhere.

Only a friggin' imbecile would risk pens costing hundreds, even thousands by
using second hand ink from a total stranger, off the internet no less. Granted
most folks are fairly honest but it only takes a mere few sicko douche bags
who'd just as easily tear the legs off bugs as they would contaminate ink for
kicks. And what about all those imbeciles just like you who'd
unknowingly/unwittingly mishandle ink pretty much the same as they do most
everything else passing through their grubby fingered paws. Again, ink is
cheap... in fact for years I've been imploring ink manufacturers to adopt
tamper proof packaging... I've no idea why they refuse, can't cost that much
extra, why I can buy a hermatically sealed 19¢ BIC. I for one don't want your
stinkin' used ink any more than I want a bite of your slobbered on sandwich.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon