(RCSD) Inane, Whimsical and Maybe Funny Philatelic Quandaries #3 - Overprint

Old August 29th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) Inane, Whimsical and Maybe Funny Philatelic Quandaries #3 - Overprint

Lama? Bien sūr que oui!

www.adirondack-pc.com/lama.jpg

*****

Well, yes, that's the French translation of llama. This lama,
however, has a snout like a wombat. That's not too bad, considering
the stamp is from OMAN. Waitaminnit - wombats are from Australia.

OK, why are there llamas (les lama) in OMAN? Even that is almost
believable, but I can't figure out why the artist thought that the
background flora should a be southwestern U.S. motif? (Hint, green is
the color.)

I don't think there's any of these ______ (fill in the blank) in Peru
or Bolivia, but then again, I've never been to those places.

What it looks like is that the artist had a wee bit too much Fennec
Tea (tm) or SNA "special sauce". We'll have top put a stop to that
type of postal trafficking. The FDC (c) have been put on notice.

Tracy
Old August 29th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 29, 8:34 am, wrote:
Lama? Bien sūr que oui!
Well, yes, that's the French translation of llama. This lama,
however, has a snout like a wombat. That's not too bad,

Here's your full set....

A Sanglier, an Elan, An Okapi......but, No Fennec.

http://cjoint.com/data/iDjf0w7l4p.htm

Old August 29th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 29, 8:34 am, wrote:

the stamp is from OMAN. Waitaminnit - wombats are from Australia.

State of...Oman and Australia are common,
in that they share a bicameral government.

To really spin you out,

Oman has also an enclave in an exclave (phew!)
(Nahwa) 40 houses and a phone xchange.

Old August 29th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 29, 3:09 am, Rod wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:34 am, wrote:

Lama? Bien sūr que oui!
Well, yes, that's the French translation of llama. This lama,
however, has a snout like a wombat. That's not too bad,

Here's your full set....

A Sanglier, an Elan, An Okapi......but, No Fennec.

http://cjoint.com/data/iDjf0w7l4p.htm

sanglier = wild boar (tastes very good 8*) ) ;
élan (with accent) is a moose.(a bit tougher + gamier) ;
okapi = okapi.

I suspect that these were printed in Beirut or Damascus.

Blair

Old August 29th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild[_3_]

Default (RCSD) Inane, Whimsical and Maybe Funny Philatelic Quandaries #3 - Llambat

Tracy--the United Network of Philatelic Art WorkerS (UNPAWS for short) licenses all stamp designers. Your gentle blend
of wombat, horse, and llama is merely an example of that artistic license.

Whenever ship flags are blowin' (into) the wind, when canoes sail with no one in them, even when Curtiss Jennys fly
upside down, look for the UNPAWS license holder as a possible reason.

Stan

Old August 29th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 29, 4:08 am, Rod wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:34 am, wrote:

the stamp is from OMAN. Waitaminnit - wombats are from Australia.

State of...Oman and Australia are common,
in that they share a bicameral government.

To really spin you out,

Oman has also an enclave in an exclave (phew!)
(Nahwa) 40 houses and a phone xchange.

Rod:

Don't confuse the bogus "State of Oman" or Dhufar
(Oman Imamate State) with the legitimate sultanate
of Muscat and Oman (now known as just Oman).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultanate_of_Oman

Stamps of the Sultanate of Oman
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx/oosc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imamate_of_Oman

Stamps of "State of Oman" and Dhufar
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Oman_stamp.JPG
http://www.animalstamps.com/basset/badhufar.jpg

http://www.oman.org/phil8.htm
http://www.oman.org/phil85.htm

Other reading:

State of Oman

"State of Oman issues" in Gibbons - Whitman Stamp Monthly, no. 14,
December 1968, p. 85
Duester, Joachim: "Briefmarken mit dem Aufdruck 'State of Oman'
" [Postage stamps inscribed 'State of Oman']. - in DBZ Deutsche
Zeitung für Briefmarkenkunde [Bad Ems, Germany]; Volume 44, No. 12 (20
June 1969), p. 2446
"British 'Traders' Look At Staffa, Yafa, Oman" in Linn's Stamp News,
vol. 44, no. 7, 2 February 1971, p. 25. Conclusion was that issues of
the State of Oman were propaganda labels.
" 'State of Oman' Issues Are Bogus Claims Sultanate's PTT Director" in
Linn's Stamp News, vol. 44, no, 22, 31 May 1971, pp 37, 42
Duester, Joachim: "'State of Oman' oder das Geschaeft mit wertlosen
Vignetten" ['State of Oman' or the business with worthless labels]. -
in Briefmarken-Mauritius [Murnau, Germany]; No. 48 (30 September
1971), pp 4 - 5, 18
Duester, Joachim: "Muenzpraegungen 'State of Oman' " [Coins minted for
'State of Oman']. in Geldgeschichtliche Nachrichten [Frankfurt am
Main, Germany]; Volume 7, No. 29 (May 1972), p. 123
Duester, Joachim: "State of Oman: Schwindelbriefmarken und -muenzen
omanischer Exilrebellen" [State of Oman: bogus stamps and coins by
Omani rebels in exile]. in Sammler-Dienst [Coburg, Germany]; vol. 23
no. 17 (August 19, 1972), pp 1243 - 1244
Qatar

Dhufar

"Dhofar - How Far?" in The Philatelic Trader, 23 June 1972, pp 295,
307
"And Now Dhufar" in Journal of Arabian Philately, no. 2, Summer 1972,
pp 6 - 7, 15
Chaplin, M.L.: "Stamp Publications Expose Truth About Dhufar Issues"
in Linn's Stamp News, 7 August 1972, p. 18. His conclusion was that
the stamps should be considered labels for the present, but their
status could change in the future - depending on the outcome of the
conflict in that area of Oman.
Note: According to Joachim Duester, the Dhufar issues were actually
commissioned by the Imam of Oman, not by the Dhufaris.
"Sultanate of Oman Nixes Adhesives of Dhufar" in The American
Philatelist, October 1972, p. 915

Blair

Old August 29th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 29, 8:10 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

Don't confuse the bogus "State of Oman" or Dhufar

Thanks Blair,
I hadn't confused them, but they do still confuse
me to a degree as a whole. UAE
The "State of Oman" is just a stub on Wiki.

Here is the view of "Oman" in 1973 philatelically
in Australia.

Note: Dhufar (Dofar or whatever)
is the world's centre of Frankincense

http://cjoint.com/data/iDpuNJH6C7.htm

Old August 29th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:56:26 GMT, "Stan Fairchild"
wrote:

Tracy--the United Network of Philatelic Art WorkerS (UNPAWS for short) licenses all stamp designers. Your gentle blend
of wombat, horse, and llama is merely an example of that artistic license.

Uhoh... where's Victor? We may have a new philatelic war soon! SNA
will not be discouraged! UNPAWS? Cool...

Whenever ship flags are blowin' (into) the wind, when canoes sail with no one in them, even when Curtiss Jennys fly
upside down, look for the UNPAWS license holder as a possible reason.

OK, only on stamps.

Old August 29th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:09:43 -0700, Rod
wrote:

On Aug 29, 8:34 am, wrote:
Lama? Bien sūr que oui!
Well, yes, that's the French translation of llama. This lama,
however, has a snout like a wombat. That's not too bad,

Here's your full set....

A Sanglier, an Elan, An Okapi......but, No Fennec.

http://cjoint.com/data/iDjf0w7l4p.htm

Uh oh... you pre-empted me for yet another episode of the whimsical!
The last stamp, Mr. Polar Bear was a future episode.

Hmmm... I wonder where they keep the snow in Oman? further, why
would a polar bear want to live in such heat? Maybe he needs a shave,
because that fur may be terribly hefty on him down there. To add to
that, I'm not sure the fish are any better near the sheikdom ports.
Considering all of the brou-haha happening nearby, I'd think Mr. Polar
Bear would like to be away from the IED's and camel flak.

Tracy
Old August 29th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 04:30:40 -0700, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

On Aug 29, 3:09 am, Rod wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:34 am, wrote:

Lama? Bien sūr que oui!
Well, yes, that's the French translation of llama. This lama,
however, has a snout like a wombat. That's not too bad,

Here's your full set....

A Sanglier, an Elan, An Okapi......but, No Fennec.

http://cjoint.com/data/iDjf0w7l4p.htm

sanglier = wild boar (tastes very good 8*) ) ;
élan (with accent) is a moose.(a bit tougher + gamier) ;
okapi = okapi.

I suspect that these were printed in Beirut or Damascus.

Hmmm... Western propaganda! :^P