Completely buffaloed on this one...

Old September 26th 05, 02:55 PM
Larry Louks

Default Completely buffaloed on this one...

....with the image of this coin, I mean. I bought this at a coin show a while
back simply because I've never seen another one that has the doubling around
the Indian's face from forehead to chin like this one has. Are there other
examples out there like this? (If you're on a dial-up connection, this image
is huge.)

http://www.freshonmymind.com/doubled/outlined.jpg

Larry
'happy to have it!'

Old September 26th 05, 03:15 PM

Larry Louks wrote:
...with the image of this coin, I mean. I bought this at a coin show a while
back simply because I've never seen another one that has the doubling around
the Indian's face from forehead to chin like this one has. Are there other
examples out there like this? (If you're on a dial-up connection, this image
is huge.)

http://www.freshonmymind.com/doubled/outlined.jpg

Good find and good picture. I noticed there was also some doubling in
the hair and feather, all doubled to the right. I've not seen such
distinct doubling before in buffaloes. The pictures I've seen of
doubled buffaloes are pictures of weak doubling in the date. I bet
there are more of these out there from the same run. It looks to me as
if the die and hub were misaligned.

Anita

Old September 26th 05, 03:50 PM
jcsuperstar

Looks like shelf doubling, also known as strike doubling or machine
doubling. It is common among Peace dollars; I have seen dozens of
1922-P ones. Generally, it is only evident on one side, here the
obverse, and can look truly remarkable. The doubling is not a hub
defect or extant on the die itself. Usually, there is no premium for
it. However, everything comes down to market dynamics, supply and
demand. If a really neat example like yours is uncommon for Buffs and
there is sufficient demand, it can demand a price beyond the normal
issue one. I'd put it back and wait. Clashed Morgans used to be
avoided and discounted. Now there is a growing following, an upcoming
reference book outlining the clash states, and a market for them to
follow.

Old September 26th 05, 04:30 PM
Larry Louks

came back with:
Good find and good picture. I noticed there was also some doubling in
the hair and feather, all doubled to the right. I've not seen such
distinct doubling before in buffaloes. The pictures I've seen of
doubled buffaloes are pictures of weak doubling in the date. I bet
there are more of these out there from the same run. It looks to me as
if the die and hub were misaligned.

Thank you for the reply, Anita. Yes, there are other areas on the coin that
exhibit doubling. I suspect that the doubling of the outline of the face is
quickest to catch the eye, since there is only empty field to the right of
that. Though it is not a high grade coin that possesses a significant "Wow!"
factor, I find it enjoyable to look at...

Larry
'maybe I'll run across another one like it'

Old September 26th 05, 04:36 PM
Larry Louks

"jcsuperstar" offered some insight into the matter:
Looks like shelf doubling, also known as strike doubling or machine
doubling. It is common among Peace dollars; I have seen dozens of
1922-P ones. Generally, it is only evident on one side, here the
obverse, and can look truly remarkable.

I appreciate the reply. There is no evidence of doubling on the reverse.

If a really neat example like yours is uncommon for Buffs and
there is sufficient demand, it can demand a price beyond the normal
issue one. I'd put it back and wait.

I don't know how common it is, but for the $14 that I gave for this old
soldier, I suspect that it will still be in the family when I'm out there
somewhere on the prairie taking a dirt nap. It is a pleasant coin to admire
and to wonder whether FDR might have had it in his pocket as he hosted heads
of state in a gala ball back there somewhere... ;-)

Larry