German Stamp ID

Old October 25th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Treacan

Default German Stamp ID

I cant find this stamp in Scott. I think the overprint reads Gastarbeit
but I'm not sure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CF/Grm-ARB.jpg

Old October 25th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

Hi Treacan,

it is "Postgebiet Ob(erbefehlshaber) Ost. 1916

Michel # 10 , catalogue value 8.00 ?.

These stamps were used in Lithuania and Kurland.

Kind regards

Gerhard

oups.com...

Old October 26th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Gerhard Reichert a écrit :
Hi Treacan,

it is "Postgebiet Ob(erbefehlshaber) Ost. 1916

Michel # 10 , catalogue value 8.00 ?.

These stamps were used in Lithuania and Kurland.

Kind regards

Gerhard

Hi Treacan and Gerhard,

With the help of Gerhard's answer I found it in Scott.

The # is IN10 (design A16)
40 pf lake & blk
[end of Lithuania chapter
"Occupation stamps"
"Issued under German Occupation"]

BTW, why this name "lake" for this colour ???
On Treacan's scan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CF/Grm-ARB.jpg
I see what I would name a carmine colour.

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old October 26th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

Pierre Courtiade wrote:

With the help of Gerhard's answer I found it in Scott.

The # is IN10 (design A16)
40 pf lake & blk
[end of Lithuania chapter
"Occupation stamps"
"Issued under German Occupation"]

BTW, why this name "lake" for this colour ???
On Treacan's scan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CF/Grm-ARB.jpg
I see what I would name a carmine colour.

In the Scott catalogues, lake is darker in colour than carmine.
Here's an eBay guide which attempts to show the difference.

http://tinyurl.com/yb5n3l

The $1 Queen Victoria Jubilee issue from Canada is listed in Scott
and Unitrade as "lake" in colour.

http://tinyurl.com/yhby5t

My old Stanley Gibbons Colour Guide also considers lake to be
darker than carmine.

Ryan

Old October 26th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Default Carmine versus lake [was German Stamp ID]

Ryan Davenport wrote :

In the Scott catalogues, lake is darker in colour than carmine.
Here's an eBay guide which attempts to show the difference.

http://tinyurl.com/yb5n3l

The $1 Queen Victoria Jubilee issue from Canada is listed in Scott
and Unitrade as "lake" in colour.

http://tinyurl.com/yhby5t

My old Stanley Gibbons Colour Guide also considers lake to be
darker than carmine.

Ryan

Many thanks Ryan for your quick and very helpful answer.
Now I can see the difference between the two colours.

This led me to another question : why this word "lake" which (at least
in my poor knowledge of English) was only meaning a large pond.

I found the answer on the Merriam-Webster on-line dictionnary site :
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: 2 lake
Function: noun
Etymology: French laque lac, from Old Occitan laca, from Arabic lakk --
more at LACQUER
1 a : a purplish red pigment prepared from lac or cochineal
b : any of numerous usually bright translucent organic pigments
composed essentially of a soluble dye absorbed on or combined
with an inorganic carrier
2 : CARMINE 2

I will remember that the lake colour is at litlle bit more purplish than
the carmine one.

Thanks again Ryan.