My Quest for Gold Dollars from local banks

Old April 10th 04, 09:59 PM
PCameron

Default My Quest for Gold Dollars from local banks

I decided to get some gold dollars and start using them, dammit. I have
recently been promoted to a technical lead for the sales force at my
company. With the change in roles I will be working with a lot of new
people. From reading this NG it occurred to me that using gold dollars as
tips for meals will help to stand out and be remembered. I did not feel
like paying more than $1 per coin so I went to the bank rather than order
from the US Mint or buy online at e-Bay.

I went to the nearest branch bank for TCF (Twin Cities Federal). I needed
to deposit a check and as the clerk was handling the deposit I asked
casually if they had gold dollars. He said he did not think so but
immediately asked the manager if they had any. The lady looked up from her
work and I noticed immediately that she seemed to be annoyed by the
question. She said, "No we don't". She turned to me and explained that
when they order from the mint they have to buy $2000 worth at a time and
that it takes a year to "get rid of them all". She went on further to
explain that she gets real sick of having to count them all the time. She
mumbled a couple other branch banks I might try.

My second attempt was at a US Bank in Roseville. The line was huge and the
place look real small so I decided to not bother waiting.

My third bank was another TCF down the road from the US Bank. This bank was
larger than the first branch bank. I did not have to wait in line as there
was a cashier waiting. I asked her if she had any gold dollars. She said
no and apologized. I asked if she knew where I could get some. She turned
to the cashier next to her and asked about them. The second cashier said
she had *2* gold dollars and seven Susan B. Anthony Dollars. I told her I
would take them. After handing her a ten and collecting my change I thanked
the teller. She looked at me as if I thanked her for trading me dog ****
for chocolate and said "No, thank you".

So now I have actually been able to find more SBAs then gold dollars. Odd.

I made one last attempt and went to a massive TCF branch bank in a northern
suburb of Saint Paul. I did not have to wait in line and when I asked the
cashier about gold dollars she said they have four rolls of dollar coins but
they were mixed rolls of Susan B. Anthony and gold dollars. I bought all
four rolls. They look funny with a SBA head on one end and a Sascagawea
head on the other. Another has a Sac head and SBA tail.

In conclusion I have to say that at least around the Minneapolis/St. Paul
area not only are gold dollars seldom used but banks are glad to have you
take them off their hands.

--
CIA DEA DIA FBI KGB NSA WMD TLA

Old April 10th 04, 10:13 PM
Fred Shecter

Ask for "Golden Dollars" instead of "Gold Dollars". They are not gold. They are golden.
Like the retriever.

If you plan to use them regularly, then ask a bank "vault teller" (aka "merchant
teller") to order a box of 1000 when they place their regular order of quarters, dimes,
nickels, etc. If they order and have them delivered as part of a regular order, there is
no special delivery fee (i.e. they don't have to send out a special truck to make the
delivery). Then get $200 to $500 per week (or get the whole box if you can). You will
show the tellers that they won't sit around forever and any other customers who ask for
them can have some as well.

--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:

To reply by e-mail, remove zorch two places.

Old April 10th 04, 10:59 PM
PCameron

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ask for "Golden Dollars" instead of "Gold Dollars". They are not gold.

They are golden.
Like the retriever.

OK. Got it. But everyone knew what I was talking about in this story,
FWIW.

Old April 11th 04, 04:24 PM
Bsh316

Last year I gave my kids the golden dollars to use for High school &Jr. High
school lunch money and man did that **** the lunch ladies off ,I thought I
could get 6 new coins moving everyday all I did was get my kids marked as the
ones with the pain in the ass money so after a few months we stopped (no need
to make the people who feeds your kid mad) They do not like the SBA's or the
Half Dollars any better.
Old April 11th 04, 04:54 PM
PCameron

"Bsh316" wrote in message
Last year I gave my kids the golden dollars to use for High school &Jr.

High
school lunch money and man did that **** the lunch ladies off ,I thought I
could get 6 new coins moving everyday all I did was get my kids marked as

the
ones with the pain in the ass money so after a few months we stopped (no

need
to make the people who feeds your kid mad) They do not like the SBA's or

the
Half Dollars any better.

If people whine thats too bad, IMO. It is legal tender and they are
obligated to accept it. Now if it was going to the person feeding me I
could probably change my spending habits to accomodate them as well :-)

Old April 11th 04, 11:43 PM
Christian Feldhaus

PCameron wrote:

It is legal tender and they are
obligated to accept it.

Only if you pay a debt.

Christian
Old April 12th 04, 05:10 AM
PCameron

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
PCameron wrote:

It is legal tender and they are
obligated to accept it.

Only if you pay a debt.

Well, uh, why would I be paying them if there was no debt? I am not in the
habit of giving money away!

Old April 12th 04, 05:31 AM
Andrew W Applegarth

"PCameron" wrote in
:

PCameron wrote:

It is legal tender and they are
obligated to accept it.

Only if you pay a debt.

Well, uh, why would I be paying them if there was no debt? I am not
in the habit of giving money away!

If you go to McDonald's and order a Happy Meal, you have to pay before
you receive the Happy Meal. This is NOT considered a debt! Same thing
with eBay since the seller collects payment before shipping the item. No
credit is extended, and thus no debt exists.

When your credit card company covers your purchases and you agree to
pay them back later, that is a debt.

I'm not sure what it is considered if you go to a sit down restaurant
where you pay on your way out. Technically, since they provided the
goods prior to your presenting payment, I believe it would be considered
a debt and subject to legal tender obligations.

As I understand it, the reasoning for legal tender is to protect the
purchaser. If payment is made in advance, either side can walk away if
the form of payment is not acceptable. Once a debt exists, it must be
paid, and it's too late to find out that the lender only accepts some
obscure form of payment you don't have, so you get arrested for not
paying...

Andrew W Applegarth