Mont Blanc Blue Black opinions?

Old June 19th 08, 02:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

Default Mont Blanc Blue Black opinions?

Hey all,

What do you think of Mont Blanc's Blue Black ink? I have been using sepia
for a while, and figured that I needed a permanent ink (since I've had a
few runny accidents) and I wanted a change of color. I haven't quite
formed an opinion of it yet, but I thought I would ask here to see if
anyone thought anything of it? I found it interesting as an ink in that
it is the only ink Mont Blanc sells that has gall in it.

Sincerely,
Aaron Hsu
--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: | WWW: http://www.sacrideo.us
Old June 19th 08, 06:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
Hey all,

What do you think of Mont Blanc's Blue Black ink? I have been using sepia
for a while, and figured that I needed a permanent ink (since I've had a
few runny accidents) and I wanted a change of color. I haven't quite
formed an opinion of it yet, but I thought I would ask here to see if
anyone thought anything of it? I found it interesting as an ink in that
it is the only ink Mont Blanc sells that has gall in it.

It's the one ink that I immediately poured down the sink without hesitation
when I bought several MB inks for the bottles.

If you google this group, you'll find that it'll eat holes in your paper
after awhile; not the best thing if you're looking for permanency.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old June 19th 08, 07:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
The Drunken Lord wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:49:13 -0500, l (Aaron W.
Hsu) wrote:

What do you think of Mont Blanc's Blue Black ink? I have been using sepia
for a while, and figured that I needed a permanent ink (since I've had a
few runny accidents) and I wanted a change of color. I haven't quite
formed an opinion of it yet, but I thought I would ask here to see if
anyone thought anything of it? I found it interesting as an ink in that
it is the only ink Mont Blanc sells that has gall in it.

How do you like it and how does it compare to other blue blacks? And
how does MontBlanc's Sepia compare?

Well, hard to say. I can take a picture of a little sample for your own
perusal, but other than that, I don't try a lot of inks. I just get ink
when I need it for my pens, so I have a black Waterman, Mont Blanc Sepia
and Mont Blanc Blue Black. I also have some Schaeffer inks that are blue
and black, I believe.

As for the Schaeffers, yuck. I didn't like the quality of their ink at
all. I haven't seen the Sepia color around, and I know some people who
like it and others who hate it. I have a French professor who loved it
because it reminded her of old photographs, which is kind of the idea,
but I know others who just call it a muddy brown. Then there are others
who think it has too much red in it and that the ink looks more like a
red correction than a normal Ink. For myself, I think it accomplishes
the goal well enough, and I like it.

Looking back on the forums, it seems like a lot of people don't like
Mont Blanc inks because of their dry characteristics or their less
vibrant nature. I can't call Sepia or Blue Black vibrant, for sure, but
I see this as a good thing. They do not look washed out, but just
normal. I really dislike the burn your eyes bright that many pens have
these days, and I like a color that's a little less harsh. I think it
feels and looks nicer to have a little more texture in the ink, and so I
like the way the Mont Blanc inks change shades slightly throughout the
stroke. I think this is a result of their more watery nature, that
others call washed out.

The one exception to this would be the black inks. I like my blacks to
be solid. I haven't tried Mont Blanc black in my own pens, but I know
that all the blacks I have tried at the store here have been very rich
and very solid. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between
it and my Encre Authentique inks, which I consider pretty hard.

As for my personal analysis of the Mont Blanc Blue Black, at the moment,
I am happy with it, and I will be using it as my color until I run out
of it and need to buy some more ink. It's professional enough of a color
that I feel I could use it in most arenas, and yet it is unique enough
that I won't feel like I'm too boring.

As for the issue of drying up and aging...I write a lot, and I clean my
pens pretty religiously when they are in active use, so...I'm not too
worried about that.

I would be interested in your opinion, since you have not tried it yet,
I think others have already given their opinions of it. I think most of
the people here tend to like a little wetter pen with lots of color.

I don't have either; I've never seen either.

I could take a picture of them, though you might not get the most
accurate quality.

Sincerely,
Aaron Hsu
Old June 19th 08, 07:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
m...

What do you think of Mont Blanc's Blue Black ink? I have been using sepia
for a while, and figured that I needed a permanent ink (since I've had a
few runny accidents) and I wanted a change of color. I haven't quite
formed an opinion of it yet, but I thought I would ask here to see if
anyone thought anything of it? I found it interesting as an ink in that
it is the only ink Mont Blanc sells that has gall in it.

It's the one ink that I immediately poured down the sink without hesitation
when I bought several MB inks for the bottles.

If you google this group, you'll find that it'll eat holes in your paper
after awhile; not the best thing if you're looking for permanency.

I would be interested in seeing some of this; I could not find anything
about damaging paper in the archives. I could find a lot of people not
so happy about the color or the gall. Would you mind providing an
article id?

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

On the other hand, I don't like ink eating through my paper, either, but
I haven't seen anything about this.

Sincerely,
Aaron Hsu

Old June 19th 08, 07:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
om...

[...]

What were you searching on? Use "blue-black holes" and you'll get some.

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

Oh.

Old June 19th 08, 08:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

Have you soaked a piece of writing that uses it? How did it fare?

Old June 19th 08, 08:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
news:Wb2dnRSxSLSEJsTVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@giganews. com...

[...]

Ah, I see, found it. I'll check these links out.

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

Oh.

I have other inks that I think would work better for the archival quality
stuff.
Old June 19th 08, 08:14 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
m...

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

Have you soaked a piece of writing that uses it? How did it fare?

I'll get a sample out, take some photos of before and after.

Aaron Hsu
Old June 19th 08, 08:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

Oh.

I have other inks that I think would work better for the archival quality
stuff.

Are they fountain pen inks? Which ones?

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Mont Blanc #139 [email protected] Pens & Pencils 3 August 16th 06 08:49 AM
Black Mont Blanc fountain pen Ink appears BROWN on page Blarney Pens & Pencils 20 December 2nd 04 03:51 AM
Mont Blanc Jeffrey Pens & Pencils 3 September 29th 04 11:27 AM
WTB: Mont Blanc Nib Only Michael Pens & Pencils 3 May 24th 04 06:39 AM
Want Nib Only -- Mont Blanc Michael Pens & Pencils 13 January 29th 04 11:44 PM