Found:Old Book about Gold Coins

Old October 2nd 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
SteveH

Default Found:Old Book about Gold Coins

Went to the local Goodwill today and found a book titled "Golden
Profits from Olden Coins:How to Build Your Own Gold Coin Collection"
by Ira U. Cobleigh, Economist, from 1974

It tells of gold reaching as high as $188/oz in March 1974, and could
reach $300/oz by 1980. Which it was still that cheap. Of course back
in 1974 I was a mere 5 years old and had no idea.

Just thought that was interesting

Steve
Old October 2nd 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

SteveH wrote:
Went to the local Goodwill today and found a book titled "Golden
Profits from Olden Coins:How to Build Your Own Gold Coin Collection"
by Ira U. Cobleigh, Economist, from 1974

It tells of gold reaching as high as $188/oz in March 1974, and could
reach $300/oz by 1980. Which it was still that cheap. Of course back
in 1974 I was a mere 5 years old and had no idea.

Don't feel bad, both then and now and, in fact, throughout all of history,
the only people who have ever "had ideas" about the future of gold prices
have been the hucksters.

Of course, our point of view here in 2009 will show that gold left that $300
number in the dust around 1980, but then when the accumulators and hoarders
were exposed, crashed back down again. I can remember lines at a coin shop
in a nearby mall that went halfway down the commons, full of people selling
everything gold they could get their hands on, including such weird things
as gold dental inlays.

Hindsight and all that, eh what?

James the Prognosticator