WARNING: Noodler's Inks

Old May 29th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default WARNING: Noodler's Inks

"Robert Wiersema" wrote in
message
news:1hg3by0.1ce6vryud4u48N%robertwiersema@****hot ANDROCKINmail.com...
~****-magnet~ wrote:

These inks may not be the best for medium and/or fine nibbed pens.

have experienced drying and clogging of both a Waterman and Romet
medium, both newer pens. Because the higher concentration of

pigment
in Noodlers, the stroke-line looks better when used with fine and
medium nibs but be prepared for problems. Using the same two

Noodler's
inks in a broad-nib MB seems to be no problem with it's generous
ink-flow but I hesitate to load it into a Pelican since someone
complained to me that Noodler's totally ruined his Pelikan and

lead to
replacement. He didn't say what nib he was using but I heeded his
warning.

Noodler's inks are so striking in appearance so it is very
disappointing. It is certainly an opposite to the more watery

Pelican
inks so perhaps there is a reason.

-T

I use Noodler's exclusively in my half-dozen or so Pelikans. I keep
them all loaded, all the time. I will sometimes go weeks without

using
one or another. I've not had ANY problems with the pens or the ink.
They all start immediately, flow well and write like a dream.

I'm happy for you Robert. I simply have 2 particular pens that aren't
compatible with the ink. I'd like to explore why this to be the case
but I doubt if there is anyone here willing to help me explore the
issue. It seems it is easier to discount what I say in total
self-denial rather than be helpful. In any event, I appreciate your
response.

Old May 30th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

In article , "~****-magnet~" wrote:
I find this NG to be hostile and overly self-defensive and have better

IMOPO, most of you people are "tight-assed" loyalists displaying not
even a hint of open-mindedness. [snip]

i also find a lot people on Usenet are "casually rude"

regards,

==========
Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two mutually exclusive concepts.
Old May 30th 06, 08:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Mr./Ms. S. Magnet,

I very seldom have anything to say in public newsgroups but I
find participation as a lurker very helpful. Please allow me to
express my opinion that is neutral and hopefully openminded, based
soley on observation.

First of all, you stamp yourself (or allow yourself to be) with
a username that at the very least is impolite. At worst, it casts a
negative "first impression" suggesting that you may be looking for
trouble. You explained the reason but I ponder why you couldn't have
taken a moment to temporarily modify it to a more innocuous version.

Secondly, I assume you are a virtual stranger in this group. In
other words, people don't know who you are or what your motives may
be. There is a lot of "trolling" that occurs everywhere. This is cause
to be naturally suspicious of anything that may seem irregular.

It is my nature to give people a benefit of doubt until they
have demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt that they are not
presenting themselves in good faith. You impressed me as a person that
seemed alarmed by an experience and that you attempted to communicate
in good faith. I wasn't suspicious because in my 48 years of
experience with fountain pens, I know that under many circumstances,
any pen can be incompatible to all degrees with any ink. One simple
test with ink is observing if an ink beads up on a nib or remains
uniformly coated. If you find the situation to be the latter, it is a
good indication that the ink may be too viscous for some pens. You can
not judge a pen by it's maker since all pens have variations.

I believe there was no cause for your credibility or motivation
to be openly questioned or attacked but I can see where others were
unnecessarily being rude and preferring to bicker rather than offer
help. There again, you have to understand that there are small
enclaves of people that too quickly defend others. Although some of it
I believe is through a genuine innocent act of loyalty, the
"gun-jumpers" may be "bandwagoning" in the hope of "getting a better
deal" somewhere down the pike. Collecting pens can be a passion, and
an expensive one at that, so although as disingenuous as some may be,
and biting as they may have been to you, it could offer an advantage
when landing that "must have" pen or purchasing a bottle of ink. Also
there are certain personality types, sort of the "high-strung old
biting queen" kind that have to pick at everything. No offense
intended, I'm also an old queen, but the more mellow gentle sort.
Please don't leave the group thinking everyone are assholes (please
excuse the expression.) There are a lot of good people here as well as
most other ngs. I wouldn't take anything personally.

I applaud you for not "taking the bait" and participating in
another war thread. Except for the user name, you came out the bigger
one. If you continue to experience problems with some of your pens, if
you email me, I'd be happy to walk you through a simple five step
diagnostic procedure to determine what may be ailing the two of your
pens. It is usually better but perhaps not easier to modify the pen
rather than fool around with the inks.

-Calvin

"~****-magnet~" wrote in message
. com...
These inks may not be the best for medium and/or fine nibbed pens. I

Old May 30th 06, 08:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:10:28 GMT, Calvin Romanoff wrote:

snip

Excellent post, Calvin. Good to see the voice of reason and common sense
prevailing at last.
--
Sem
Old May 30th 06, 12:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Semolina Pilchard" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:10:28 GMT, Calvin Romanoff wrote:

snip

Excellent post, Calvin. Good to see the voice of reason and common

sense
prevailing at last.
--
Sem

I agree with you Sem. Calvin, you certainly hit the head of the nail
and managed to not leave a stone unturned. I have thought exactly the
same about some of the regs in here but just didn't know how to bring
it to words.
generic

Old May 30th 06, 12:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default WARNING: Noodler's Inks [P.S.]

"~generic~" wrote in message
om...

"Semolina Pilchard" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:10:28 GMT, Calvin Romanoff wrote:

snip

Excellent post, Calvin. Good to see the voice of reason and

common
sense
prevailing at last.
--
Sem

I agree with you Sem. Calvin, you certainly hit the head of the

nail
and managed to not leave a stone unturned. I have thought exactly

the
same about some of the regs in here but just didn't know how to

bring
it to words.
generic

I had to change my name temporarily (gosh it was easy) because some of
these biddies hold grudges if you disagree with them. I do business
where my comment would seriously negatively impact some of the
business I do in the industry.

Old May 30th 06, 12:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:24:32 -0400, ~generic~ wrote:
I had to change my name temporarily (gosh it was easy) because some of
these biddies hold grudges if you disagree with them. I do business
where my comment would seriously negatively impact some of the
business I do in the industry.

It's the advocacy mindset that's the problem. I've seen it before. The
linux groups used to be helpful and informative until the narrow-minded,
tub-thumping advocates took over. a.c.p-p is well on the way to becoming
the Noodler's advocacy group, at which point sensible discussion ends.

It's ink, not a sacred cow.

--
Sem
Old May 30th 06, 04:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Sem wrote:

It's the advocacy mindset that's the problem. I've seen it before. The
linux groups used to be helpful and informative until the narrow-minded,
tub-thumping advocates took over. a.c.p-p is well on the way to becoming
the Noodler's advocacy group, at which point sensible discussion ends.

It's ink, not a sacred cow.

Yes, it's just ink, but it's also a major part of one man's livelihood and
to say things like it damaged a nib beyond repair without providing any
proof, is nothing more than hearsay. My problem wasn't with him commenting
about the ink flow, it was the reporting of information about a damaged nib
that he/she hadn't actually seen. He/she indicated that he/she was "told"
by an individual that Noodler's ink ruined a nib and that this person had to
replace this nib so I offered to have this nib repaired at my expense if
he/she would just have it sent to one of the repairpersons listed on our web
site. I gave him a suggestion on how to fix the problem with the poor flow
problem in these two pens. I don't see where there was any "tub-thumping"
going on in my post. I really resent the fact that folks feel they can post
anything on this group and not expect anything to go unchallenged. It
appears to me that based on the number of responses about how this ink has
performed in so many other types of pens (especially Pelikans) that there
may in fact be something wrong with these two pens and not the ink. Again,
if adding a little distilled water to this ink doesn't correct the problem
then the ink flow would probably need to be adjusted to allow the use of
these heavier dye concentrated inks. If the ink works okay in the
Montblanc, then that should have told him/her that there was nothing wrong
with this ink. I still would like to hear from a professional (or very
experienced) pen repairperson on this claim that Noodler's ink has somehow
damaged a Pelikan nib beyond repair. So no, this ink isn't a sacred cow,
but it does put food on the table and clothes on the back of a very good
friend of mine. If it were me, I would ask to see proof of this damage
before spouting slanderous accusations on a newsgroup for the world to read.
I wasn't attacking anyone, just asking for proof that Noodler's ink did in
fact damage a Pelikan nib beyond repair. Give me this proof and you can say
anything you like about this ink, until then I will continue to challenge
anyone that makes these claims on a public forum without proof to back-up
these claims. The offer still stands, if this individual will send this nib
to one of the folks listed on our Vintage Pen Repair page and have them
confirm that this Pelikan nib was in fact damaged beyond repair then I will
buy this individual a replacement nib.

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 539-2209, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

Old May 30th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Semolina Pilchard" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:24:32 -0400, ~generic~ wrote:
I had to change my name temporarily (gosh it was easy) because

some of
these biddies hold grudges if you disagree with them. I do

business
where my comment would seriously negatively impact some of the
business I do in the industry.

It's the advocacy mindset that's the problem. I've seen it before.

The
linux groups used to be helpful and informative until the

narrow-minded,
tub-thumping advocates took over. a.c.p-p is well on the way to

becoming
the Noodler's advocacy group, at which point sensible discussion

ends.

It's ink, not a sacred cow.

--
Sem

I did a search of Noodler's in backlog for 1 year. You're right. There
were previous posts that were basically complaints about Noods ranging
from clogging pens to one of it's new ink being outragious in cost.
These people got the same reception - like 8 or 10 pit-bulls suddenly
appearing out of nowhere attacking the complaintants. Perhaps there is
a "conspiracy" where the Noodle gang is converting the group for free
commercial promotion. (lol) I certainly don't see such aggressive
response from other products that are openly criticized.

I can understand why there might be misgivings toward myself as an
unknown. But the guy that had the bad example of Noodles ruining his
Pelly I believe to be an expert regarding fountain pens. Unless he is
in direct competition with Noodles with his own line of ink products,
that I doubt, I would have had no reason to question his veracity. He
seemed like a very knowledgable reasonable guy.

Before anyone considers loading a precious pen with Noodles, perhaps
they should email him and ask why he doesn't like Noodles inks. His
addy is travisATpens-more.com.

In context, he expressed an opinion in response to my question of what
his favorite pen(s) and ink(s) were. His opinion did not preclude me
from using Noodles I had just received shortly before my new Pelly
M1000 arrived. He impressed me enough where I decided not to use it in
my new Pelly, but I still loaded it my two least expensive pens. After
all, I liked the ink otherwise. It's good that I caught those 2 pens
that did dry out even with chambers nearly full. The Romet purged
without resistance but the Waterman initially required slight force
that I couldn't produce with the onboard converter. I used an old
ultrasonic cleaning machine that I fortunately had from one of my
dad's jewelry store. A few minutes in an ultrasonic bath of detergent
and water did the trick. No damage done.

Old May 30th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Chuck Swisher" wrote in message
Sem wrote:

[...]

Mr. Swisher: Please contact Travis, the owner of Pens-More [
.] He is an expert and (in his professional
opinion) he believes his Pelican was totally ruined by Noodlers ink.
I'm no professional and my pens were rescued without permanent damage
so I am not the one to challenge. Still, I don't always have time to
wash my pens every week or dilute the ink so I will continue to enjoy
your product in my broad nibs. The medium and fine nibs are ill and
the doctor has prescribed 2% formula since cream is too rich for their
well-being.