How to Tind a Book Site

Old October 5th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default How to Tind a Book Site

There needs to be one. Someone could make good coin building one too.
I've looked for two books that I don't know the titles for 15 years on
ebay.

Such a site would show thumbnails of book covers listed by genre and
year. If anyone knows anything remotely close to this please post.
TIA.

Old October 6th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

wrote in message
There needs to be one. Someone could make good coin building one too.
I've looked for two books that I don't know the titles for 15 years on
ebay.

Such a site would show thumbnails of book covers listed by genre and
year. If anyone knows anything remotely close to this please post.
TIA.

.....and what ARE the books you can't find? Are you looking
for pictures, stories, or plots?

Kris

Old October 11th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Oct 6, 1:33*pm, "Kris Baker" wrote:
....and what ARE the books you can't find? * *Are you looking
for pictures, stories, or plots?

Two vintage early 60s childrens books i had as a toddler.
"Tind = Find"
Old October 12th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Andycat

wrote in message
On Oct 6, 1:33 pm, "Kris Baker" wrote:
....and what ARE the books you can't find? Are you looking
for pictures, stories, or plots?

Two vintage early 60s childrens books i had as a toddler.
"Tind = Find"

Any chance of being a little more specific -- like the storyline or a
character?

Old October 12th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Oct 11, 5:46*pm, "Andycat" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 6, 1:33 pm, "Kris Baker" wrote:

....and what ARE the books you can't find? Are you looking
for pictures, stories, or plots?

Two vintage early 60s childrens books i had as a toddler.
"Tind = Find"

Any chance of being a little more specific -- like the storyline or a
character?

I don't have much to go on. I was too young when these books
disappeared.

One was about a giant so strong that he could make water appear in his
hand by squeezing his fist. Can't remember the cover.

The other was a red cover with a big black hole in the ground in the
middle with bears (or monkeys?) lowering a lader and rope down into it
to rescue people (bears?) at the bottom.
Old October 12th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

lader = ladder
Old October 12th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

wrote in message

On Oct 6, 1:33 pm, "Kris Baker" wrote:

....and what ARE the books you can't find? Are you looking
for pictures, stories, or plots?

Two vintage early 60s childrens books i had as a toddler.
"Tind = Find"

Any chance of being a little more specific -- like the storyline or a
character?

I don't have much to go on. I was too young when these books
disappeared.

One was about a giant so strong that he could make water appear in his
hand by squeezing his fist. Can't remember the cover.

That's a familiar old fairy tale; the giant uses his first to
squeeze water out of stone (not out of his fist). There
are many versions, and it appears in many books.

Google is your friend:
http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm...gallant_tailor

The later version, most familiar to younger people, is from
Parents Magazine Press (Seven at One Blow)
http://fairytales4u.com/story/sevenat.htm

The other was a red cover with a big black hole in the ground in the
middle with bears (or monkeys?) lowering a lader and rope down into it
to rescue people (bears?) at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure that's a school text storybook. It's not Ginn or
Scott Foresman.
Look for Winston, Laidlaw, Lyons & Carnahan, etc, smaller
textbook publishers' primers and school storybooks.
Cover, IIRC is monkeys.

Kris

Old October 12th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

That's a familiar old fairy tale; the giant uses his first to
squeeze water out of stone (not out of his fist). * *There
are many versions, and it appears in many books.

Yes that's right! I think he also did it without stones too. Thanks!
Wow I never thought I'd get any response. Now to locate the exact
book. Thanks thanks thanks! I see a lot on ebay that date late 50s.
Mine was later, like 1963-4 area.

The other was a red cover with a big black hole in the ground in the
middle with bears (or monkeys?) lowering a lader and rope down into it
to rescue people (bears?) at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure that's a school text storybook. * It's not Ginn or
Scott Foresman.
Look for Winston, Laidlaw, Lyons & Carnahan, etc, smaller
textbook publishers' primers and school storybooks.
Cover, IIRC is monkeys.

It wasn't a text book. It was a thin 8X6" tell-a-tale type kid's book
with only one story in it from around 1963. The story was about these
bears (or monkeys) rescuing others in holes. There wasn't really much
of a story. I only want it for the novelty/sentimental value. I'd like
to narrow the search a little finer. Any further sugestions. TIA. On
the cover was a dozen or so bears(?) circled around this hole looking
down and one at the bottom. Something to that affect (bear in mind I
last seen this book like 40+ years ago) when I was still a toddler).

Old October 12th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.books.childrens
Kris Baker

(top-posting on purpose)

Reposting this so it will appear on rec.arts.books.childrens

wrote in message
[...]

-----------------------

http://www.tias.com/7760/InventoryPage/1512921/1.html

booksafari.com

Old October 12th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.books.childrens
[email protected]

Man this story spawned a few titles! Like try over a dozen!

"Brave Little Taylor" is as close to the book I had as I've found in
one hour of searching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-BRAVE-LITTLE...ayphotohosting

This cover jogged my memory because I now remember the giant on the
cover making a fist with water coming out like this cover shows.

I'll probably bid on it anyway.
Thanks Kris!

My Book Review Site [email protected] Books 0 October 8th 07 04:19 AM
A site with top 10 book lists [email protected] Books 2 November 9th 06 06:06 PM
Used Book Site Mike Hardy Books 0 November 23rd 04 06:42 AM
new book ccllecting site Alex Books 0 August 23rd 04 07:55 AM