Bookcase Suggestions Needed

Old September 21st 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
PX700

Default Bookcase Suggestions Needed

Hi RCB'ers,

I will have a wall-to-wall bookcase made.

Its dimensions are 130"x84"x14".

I wonder whether you could let me know what kind of wood to use to
avoid sagging, i.e. maple, oak, etc.; what finish without leaving
stains on the books, as well as any other recommendations in having a
nice bookcase.

Thank you.

Calvin
Old September 21st 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

PX700 wrote:
Hi RCB'ers,

I will have a wall-to-wall bookcase made.

Its dimensions are 130"x84"x14".

I wonder whether you could let me know what kind of wood to use to
avoid sagging, i.e. maple, oak, etc.; what finish without leaving
stains on the books, as well as any other recommendations in having a
nice bookcase.

Thank you.

Calvin

You want a wood with a high modulus of elasticity. See
www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/publications/ch04.pdf

That would argue for any of the following:

Black Cherry
Ash
Red Oak
White Oak

Also, the length of the unsupported span and the dead weight
of the load are important in calculating the likelihood of
sagging. You should have vertical supports for the books no
more than every 36", and if you are intending that the
shelves will bear heavy loads, e.g., art books, then reduce
the spans to 30" or even 24".

If you are using a good wood, staining is not desirable
[except that sometimes with Cherry, some staining is
necessary to make the heartwood and sapwood consistent]. As
to finishing, I have always used a hand-rubbed tung oil
finish for my shelves. Be sure to let the finish sit for
about a week before putting books on the wood.

Francis A. Miniter
Old September 21st 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"William Tell" wrote in message
All wood shelves will eventually sag under the weight of books, unless you
are only storing lightweight paperbacks. For that reason, you are better
off using removable shelves, so you can remove the books and flip the
shelves over about once per year.

Since only the front edge of bookshelves show, why not construct
the bookcase of solid wood *except* for the shelves themselves.
The prefab shelves with white or woodgrain laminate covering
will never stain your books with oil, are washable, and can
bear heavier loads. They are also easily replaceable, in case
one gets damaged.

The books themselves are what you are showing off, not the
bookcase. The plainer, the better.

And....make the shelves adjustable so you can move things
around, take out shelves, put in new shelves to store more, etc.

Kris

Old September 21st 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

I will have a wall-to-wall bookcase made.

Its dimensions are 130"x84"x14".

I wonder whether you could let me know what kind of wood to use to
avoid sagging, i.e. maple, oak, etc.; what finish without leaving
stains on the books, as well as any other recommendations in having a
nice bookcase.

That's helluva deep. Do you collect atlases?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Old September 21st 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Sep 21, 5:06*pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
I will have a wall-to-wall bookcase made.

Its dimensions are 130"x84"x14".

I wonder whether you could let me know what kind of wood to use to
avoid sagging, i.e. maple, oak, etc.; what finish without leaving
stains on the books, as well as any other recommendations in having a
nice bookcase.

That's helluva deep. *Do you collect atlases?

Well, it certainly would allow plenty of room for double-shelving his
books!