Foreign Coins

Old July 22nd 03, 08:28 PM
Jason Ditz

Default Foreign Coins

I bought one of those "1 Troy Pound" of miscellaneous foreign silver
things off of eBay (I know, I'm a sucker). Anyhow, here's what I got

1942 Australian Threepence. Terribly circulated. Turning all brown
1943 Australian Threepence. Lightly Circulated, starting to lose its
shininess
1943 Australian Sixpence. Circulated
1958 Australian One Shilling. Lightly circulated, still nice and
shiny.
1960 Australian One Shilling. Even better, looks almost brand new.
1963 Australian One Shilling. Circulated, but not unduly.
1944 Australian Florin. Poor Condition
1930 Brazillian 2000 Reis, rough condition.
1912 Canadian Half-Dime. The whole coin is very blackened, but still
quite readable
1943 Canadian Dime. Terribly worn, hardly readable.
1944 Canadian Dime. Circulated but the images are still crisp.
1946 Canadian Dime. Circulated
1950 Canadian Dime. Circulated
1953 Canadian Dime. Getting brown, very bad shape.
1958 (?) Canadian Dime. If I can't really make a clear I.D. on the
date, that should give you some idea
1960 Canadian Dime. Terrible Shape, looks like it got stained on the
back with something
1960 Canadian Dime. Circulated
1962 Canadian Dime. Circulated
1965 Canadian Dime. Shiny and not too circulated. A little blackening
around the face.
1965 Canadian Dime. About the same as the other '65.
1967 Canadian Dime. Similar to the '65s
1967 Canadian Dime. Circulated
1967 Canadian Dime. A little more circulated than the last one.
1968 Canadian Dime. Nearly uncirculated.
1958 Canadian Quarter. Uncirculated. Very pretty
1961 Canadian Quarter. Quite frankly looks like hell. Image and date
are barely readable.
1942 Canadian Half Dollar. Back looks almost uncirculated, but the
front is blackening up a bit (especially the face). Maybe it was in a
holder that kept the back out of the open air?
1958 Canadian Half Dollar. Some blackening of writing and image,
relatively lightly circulated
1965 Canadian Half Dollar. A little worse shape than the '58,
starting to look a lot less shiny in its old age.
1965 Canadian Silver Dollar. Nice Condition, very Lightly Circulated.
Nice Lustre (this one went right in a plastic holder)
1917 French 50 centimes. Pretty circulated. Date is getting worn.
1937 Honduras (0.900) 50 centavos. Circulated. About what you'd
expect from a coin its age.
Two very circulated Japanese 100 Yen coins, can read the date, but
both are different
1920 Mexican (0.720) 50 centavos. Very circulated
1921 Mexican (0.720) 50 centavos. Very circulated
1934 Mexican (0.720) One Peso. Circulated, but still in pretty nice
shape.
1947 Mexican (0.500) One Peso. Very circulated.
1960 Moroccan 1 Dirham Piece. Good condition, doesn't look like it
saw much circulation.
1944 Netherlands 25 cents. Circulated.
1961 Panama 1/10 Balboa. Circulated
1940 Portugese 50 something-or-others. Turning all blue. No idea what
the denomination is supposed to be, looks like a dollar sign kind of.
About the size of a U.S. nickel.
1958 South African 5 Shilling Piece, Very large and comparatively
rare as I understand it, excellent shape. I wouldn't know where to
begin finding a holder for this thing, its huge (doesn't fit in a 1
OZ. Silver Round holder)
1892 Spanish 50 cent. Circulated, but not bad for a 110 year old
coin.
1914 Swedish 25 Ore. Circulated
1952 Swiss 1/2 Franc coin. lightly circulated, starting to look less
shiny.
1968 Swiss 1 Franc coin, lightly circulated
1931-B Swiss 5 Franc coin, somewhat circulated, but pretty nice for
its age
1917 U.K. Threepence. Circulated, but not badly for its age
1938 U.K. Threepence. Circulated
1941 U.K. Threepence. Circulated
1930 U.K. Sixpence. Circulated
1944 U.K. One Shilling. Circulated, and starting to brown up a bit.
1944 U.K. Two Shilling, circulated
1907 U.S. Phillipines One Peso, extremely circulated (looks like a
big war nickel, was there Mn in this?)
1944 U.S. Phillipines 10 centavos, barely readable
1944 U.S. Phillipines 50 centavos, circulated
1935 Venezuelan coin. Not sure what it is, smaller than a U.S. dime
and has a picture of Bolivar on it. Circulated

Now, besides the fact that it isn't even close to a Troy Pound of
silver, how did I do for $60?

Is there a good book out there to describe these coins and what they
might be worth? I've looked around a little online and can't really
find anything.
Other than the Canadian Silver Dollar and the South African 5 Shilling
nothing really stands out to me. Is there anything else worth putting
in a protective case? Oh, and what COULD I put the S.A. coin in? My
local coin shop doesn't seem to have any holders big enough for the
thing.
Old July 23rd 03, 03:25 AM
Jorg Lueke

On 22 Jul 2003 12:28:40 -0700, Jason Ditz wrote:

[...]

You'll want to go to a library or used book store and find a copy of the
Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins. Any from the past few years should
be sufficient to give you a feel for value.
/0873495934/qid=1058927069/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-0995393-
4350451?v=glance&s=books&n=507846detail/-/0873495934/qid=1058927069/sr=8-
1/ref=sr_8_1/002-0995393-4350451?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Value Guides Keith Tilley Coins 3 July 21st 03 07:50 AM
Cleaning old coins -how? Harri Annala Coins 2 July 16th 03 09:05 PM
FOREIGN COINS AVAILABLE. -NO EBAY! ZEVIM Coins 0 July 12th 03 03:54 PM
*** Coins for sale *** Wheeler Coins 0 July 3rd 03 07:08 AM
FOREIGN COINS AVAILABLE - NO EBAY! ZEVIM Coins 0 July 3rd 03 04:31 AM