Crayon Marks

Old July 19th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Crayon Marks

I have a book that has crayon marks on the dust jacket. Any
suggestions for removing them?

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 20th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Jul 19, 4:27*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:
I have a book that has crayon marks on the dust jacket. *Any
suggestions for removing them?

Francis A. Miniter

Goo Gone
Old July 21st 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Victor

wrote:
I have a book that has crayon marks on the dust jacket. Any
suggestions for removing them?

Francis A. Miniter

Goo Gone

Expert advice there Francis.

Over half of his stock has had crayon marks on it at sometime.

Victor

Old July 29th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

wrote:
I have a book that has crayon marks on the dust jacket. Any
suggestions for removing them?

Francis A. Miniter

Goo Gone

The dust jacket in question was paper, which presented some
problems. On one part of the marking, I used a pink eraser.
It was somewhat effective, but could not get all the
crayon out. On a second part, I used just Goo Gone, which
at first dissolved and spread the crayon marking. (I should
note that I first determined that I tested Goo Gone on a
piece of plain paper to determine that it left no stain
marks. It does not.) Repeated applications removed most
but not all the stain, and by itself, not as much as the
pink eraser. On a small, third portion, I first used the
pink eraser and then the Goo Gone, and that seemed to yield
the best results, though still not perfect.

The problem with the eraser is wearing away of the paper
density. The problem with the Goo Gone is the dispersion of
the stain into the fabric. A judicious use of the one to
limit crayon thickness, then the other to prevent excessive
paper wear, seems to be best.

A final try with Xylene did not improve the situation.

I note that Goo Gone works fine with dust jackets having a
coating over the paper.

The dust jacket is generally better than before I started.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 29th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

wrote:
[...]

Try applying the Goo Gone to a paper towel/tissue or cotton ball and
gently rub the mark.
Old August 5th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

I've had the best success with Thoro (dry-cleaning fluid).

If the crayon marks are heavy, I use a single-edge razor
blade, held flat against the surface, to lift as much of
the crayon off before attempting removal. Otherwise, I
end up with a bigger smear-stain than when I started.

While goo-gone/lighter fluid (naptha) will dissolve adhesives,
they are ineffective on the dyes/colors found in crayons.

K.
Old August 5th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Aug 5, 10:14*am, wrote:

While goo-gone/lighter fluid (naptha) will dissolve adhesives,
they are ineffective on the dyes/colors found in crayons.

From experience I can tell you that GooGone is effective on crayon
marks on coated stock, such as LP album covers and most DJs and
pictorial cover books.
Your suggestion about removing excessive crayon with a single edge
razor blade is a good one but you have to be VERY careful.

Where do die clash marks come from? Wayland Coins 10 January 2nd 07 03:51 PM
Clash marks mike browder Coins 10 November 9th 06 01:58 AM
Snipers, Take Your Marks... Jerry Dennis Coins 15 May 25th 04 04:12 AM
The Registered Letter Crayon. Rodney General Discussion 17 January 18th 04 09:39 PM
Ceramic Marks ? Peter Thompson General 0 October 4th 03 12:44 PM