Did I mention this is a great coin?

Old June 26th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Did I mention this is a great coin?

"PC" wrote in message

"Ira" wrote in message

The seller looks like a bombastic BSer to me too. I think that was
the main point of the OPs post.

If one actually looks at what I wrote, yes that was my point. The BS is
dripping off his auction text. I was thinking about buying the coin but
his approach turned me off. Many others saw what I saw. Phil is just
attacking me. It is quite transparent. He tried to dig up dirt about the
monitor thing too. Interesting hobby he has. Anyway, there is a proper
place for trolls...

May I chime in here about the 1921 Peace dollar? I know a thing or two
about these.

Yes, Ira please do. I consider a non-biased, informative response with no
alterior motives to be a breath of fresh air in this discussion.

Ira's take begin
First of all, the strike is a bit better than average, and strike
seems to be independent of the grade
assigned by PCGS. Coin has very few marks for the grade, but luster,
always problematic on the dished suraces of the high relief 1921 Peace
dollars, seems subdued even though it has other positive attributes.
I'd pay about $600 if I could see it in hand. That price does not mean
that's all it's worth. I'm a dealer that must resell it at a profit
and don't want it to languish in inventory. If the luster were
better, I'd probably pay $700 and try to sell it for $850. With eBay
and PayPal fees, I'd clear maybe $80. Not bad for about a half hour's
effort plus time spent in a long line at the PO waiting to mail it.
Ira's take end

I swear I had seen better detail on an MS63 and last night went scouring
my archives for the picture. I found it - and then realized it was a
1928. Oops!

I posted a photo of my 1921 on abpn on 5-26-08 and it's still up there. It
is a PCGS MS63 that appears to have a bit more hair detail than the one in
question. I'd like to think that a couple hits in the hair & crown kept it
from an MS64.

Old June 26th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Ira" wrote:

May I chime in here about the 1921 Peace dollar? I know a thing or two
about these. First of all, the strike is a bit better than average,
and strike seems to be independent of the grade assigned by PCGS.
Coin has very few marks for the grade, but luster, always problematic
on the dished suraces of the high relief 1921 Peace dollars, seems
subdued even though it has other positive attributes.

To be honest, I can't tell a thing about the luster from these
photographs. At first I thought the surface was grainy, but these
are sharpened to the point that the holder is grainy as well!

When I went shopping for a 1921 Peace, my budget put me firmly in
MS-63 territory. I don't know if it was just bad luck, but I
looked at half a dozen without seeing one which I felt was worthy
of that grade. I ended up with a solidly graded MS-62 instead.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Life isn't like a burrito: Even if it's really good, you still need a good

Old June 30th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"PC" wrote in message

Very nice of the seller to list the reserve at $100 less than the coin is
actually worth. In fact it is probably worth a lot more. Just ask him.

BIN was $850
high bid was $680
Reserve not met.

What does an auction cost a seller if the reserve is not met?
mk

Old June 30th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Jun 29, 10:18 pm, "MJKolodziej"
wrote:
"PC" wrote in message

Very nice of the seller to list the reserve at $100 less than the coin is
actually worth. In fact it is probably worth a lot more. Just ask him.

BIN was $850
high bid was $680
Reserve not met.

What does an auction cost a seller if the reserve is not met?
mk

Cost him about $5.40 for the listing plus 1% of the reserve amount,
with a maximum of $50 per listing, each time listed. In this case the
cost to seller was aboiut $12.50.

Ira
Old June 30th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message

"PC" wrote in message

Very nice of the seller to list the reserve at $100 less than the coin is
actually worth. In fact it is probably worth a lot more. Just ask him.

BIN was $850
high bid was $680
Reserve not met.

What does an auction cost a seller if the reserve is not met?

By and large bidders just plain avoid a reserve auction. Very few see the
value in spending any time with them.

Old June 30th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

It's back with an adjusted price. It just might sell this time around.

Old June 30th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message
. ..
It's back with an adjusted price. It just might sell this time around.

Same reserve, no?

James

Old June 30th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 30, 5:27*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"PC" wrote in message

. ..

It's back with an adjusted price. *It just might sell this time around..

Same reserve, no?

James

Yep
Old June 30th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"RF" wrote in message
On Jun 30, 5:27 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Same reserve, no?

James

Yep

BTW, what is the greysheet price?

Old June 30th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

"PC" wrote in message

Very nice of the seller to list the reserve at $100 less than the coin is
actually worth. In fact it is probably worth a lot more. Just ask him.

BIN was $850
high bid was $680
Reserve not met.

What does an auction cost a seller if the reserve is not met?

By and large bidders just plain avoid a reserve auction. Very few see the
value in spending any time with them.

This chap actually quoted what the reserve price was, which at least gives
bidders a minimum required if they really want it.

The relisting does not give that information.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :