Fate of Paper Money

Old June 29th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Fate of Paper Money

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:30:31 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I got my
first copy off of a book bargain table at the Smithsonian Institute in
the summer of 1975.

It's actually the Smithsonian Institution.

For the record, I didn't write that, oly did. For some reason that still
mystifies, sometimes I have to separate my reply to him and others
with --------------- and sometimes I don't. There's no consistency.

James

Old June 30th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 5:59*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote in message

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:30:31 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I got my
first copy off of a book bargain table at the Smithsonian Institute in
the summer of 1975.

It's actually the Smithsonian Institution.

For the record, I didn't write that, oly did. *For some reason that still
mystifies, sometimes I have to separate my reply to him and others
with --------------- and sometimes I don't. *There's no consistency.

James

I was aware of the error upon subequent read, but there's no way to
correct it after it's up. We were just there in March 2008 (The Mueum
of American History is closed for renovations! Perhaps it is reopened
by now.).

oly
Old June 30th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:19:45 -0700 (PDT), oly wrote:

On Jun 29, 5:59*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote in message

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:30:31 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I got my
first copy off of a book bargain table at the Smithsonian Institute in
the summer of 1975.

It's actually the Smithsonian Institution.

For the record, I didn't write that, oly did. *For some reason that still
mystifies, sometimes I have to separate my reply to him and others
with --------------- and sometimes I don't. *There's no consistency.

James

I was aware of the error upon subequent read, but there's no way to
correct it after it's up. We were just there in March 2008 (The Mueum
of American History is closed for renovations! Perhaps it is reopened
by now.).

It's actually a "Museum". The "s" was added by an anonymous donor who
made millions selling coins by calling them "just a whisker away from"
a higher grade.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 30th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

[...]

I distinctly remember that the word being bandied about was "whisper." And
that anonymous donor has turned out to be none other than John Beresford
Tipton.

James

Old June 30th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 7:58*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Yes, "whisper". And I distinctly recall that the implication that the
mark-ups were so razor-thin (to damn near non-existent) that our
benefactor is practically running a numismatic eleemosynary
institution. I guess the trick when losing money on a sale is to make
it up on volume. Wonderful Mr. Tipton.

It may take a while to buy that million-dollar letter "s".

The Mueum of Natural History had a wonderful piece of Yap Stone Money
in their basement & cafeteria area. The tag on that exhibit went all
out of its way to establish the provenance of the "coin" and that a
German purchased it directly from a Island Chieftan and that the
shamans gave their blessing before the "coin" left the island in
1904. These Mueums are being very very careful nowadays.

oly
Old June 30th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 29, 9:27*pm, oly wrote:

The Mueum of Natural History had a wonderful piece of Yap Stone Money
in their basement & cafeteria area. *The tag on that exhibit went all
out of its way to establish the provenance of the "coin" and that a
German purchased it directly from a Island Chieftan and that the
shamans gave their blessing before the "coin" left the island in
1904. *These Mueums are being very very careful nowadays.

Many years ago one of the major NY banks (I think it was Chase) had a
money museum in mid-town Manhattan and the Yap stone money was a major
draw there.
Old June 30th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 8:41*pm, RF wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:27*pm, oly wrote:

The Mueum of Natural History had a wonderful piece of Yap Stone Money
in their basement & cafeteria area. *The tag on that exhibit went all
out of its way to establish the provenance of the "coin" and that a
German purchased it directly from a Island Chieftan and that the
shamans gave their blessing before the "coin" left the island in
1904. *These Mueums are being very very careful nowadays.

Many years ago one of the major NY banks (I think it was Chase) had a
money museum in mid-town Manhattan and the Yap stone money was a major
draw there.

That sounds right, though I never saw that mueum before it closed.

oly
Old June 30th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 8:47*pm, oly wrote:
On Jun 29, 8:41*pm, RF wrote:

On Jun 29, 9:27*pm, oly wrote:

The Mueum of Natural History had a wonderful piece of Yap Stone Money
in their basement & cafeteria area. *The tag on that exhibit went all
out of its way to establish the provenance of the "coin" and that a
German purchased it directly from a Island Chieftan and that the
shamans gave their blessing before the "coin" left the island in
1904. *These Mueums are being very very careful nowadays.

Many years ago one of the major NY banks (I think it was Chase) had a
money museum in mid-town Manhattan and the Yap stone money was a major
draw there.

That sounds right, though I never saw that mueum before it closed.

oly

P.S. I forgot to mention it, but the Mueum of Natural History hasn't
had their Yap Stone Money slabbed - yet. I suppose some people simply
won't look at it if it is "raw".

Who is more liberal when it comes to grading and slabbing Yap Stone
Money??? PCGS or NGC??? Probably NCG, I bet, but I don't follow this
the way a dealer would.

oly

Old June 30th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 29, 9:59*pm, oly wrote:
On Jun 29, 8:47*pm, oly wrote:

On Jun 29, 8:41*pm, RF wrote:

On Jun 29, 9:27*pm, oly wrote:

[...]

Personally I wouldn't buy one without a CAC sticker!

Old June 30th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 9:08*pm, RF wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:59*pm, oly wrote:

On Jun 29, 8:47*pm, oly wrote:

On Jun 29, 8:41*pm, RF wrote:

On Jun 29, 9:27*pm, oly wrote:

[...]

Personally I wouldn't buy one without a CAC sticker!- Hide quoted text -

Ditto, gotta have a sticker. Man, these are probably S.O.B.s to do a
crackout on.

oly