Fate of Paper Money

Old June 29th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Fate of Paper Money

This is very good, though I might quibble with some of his dating
(like on the "Mexican Silver Peso" expiring in 1992)...

http://www.safehaven.com/article-10637.htm

I am throwing this up as a historical reference ONLY...

any further inferences that you wish to make are your own.

oly
Old June 29th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"oly" wrote in message
This is very good, though I might quibble with some of his dating
(like on the "Mexican Silver Peso" expiring in 1992)...

http://www.safehaven.com/article-10637.htm

I am throwing this up as a historical reference ONLY...

any further inferences that you wish to make are your own.

Who was that guy who wrote all the books back around 1975, advocating the
buying up of gold? I remember it was a short name, four or five letters
maybe. He became very popular, then disappeared from view.

James

Old June 29th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 4:12*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

This is very good, though I might quibble with some of his dating
(like on the "Mexican Silver Peso" expiring in 1992)...

http://www.safehaven.com/article-10637.htm

I am throwing this up as a historical reference ONLY...

any further inferences that you wish to make are your own.

Who was that guy who wrote all the books back around 1975, advocating the
buying up of gold? *I remember it was a short name, four or five letters
maybe. *He became very popular, then disappeared from view.

James

The biggies then were Jim Dines, Harry Browne, Howard Ruff and my
favorite was Donald Hoppe. Three of these four men are still around,
though Mr. Hoppe must be rather old now. Mr. Browne is deceased. Of
course, there were many many others.

I have recently come accross two or three copies of Hoppe's book on
Gold coins, which was and is one of the best things ever written on
the subject. Very scholarly, insightful and entertaining. Mr. Hoppe
was recommending gold sovereigns when they cost $12 each. I got my
first copy off of a book bargain table at the Smithsonian Institute in
the summer of 1975.

oly

Old June 29th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, it was Ruff. What's he up to these days?

Old June 29th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, it was Ruff. *What's he up to these days?- Hide quoted text -

Mr. Ruff is going at it strong, very strong and has recently geared up
his writing. He has about 90 grandchildren to take care of.

oly
Old June 29th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Hello

On your posting below.

Coin Money, in the United States has always had the
protection under the U.S. Constitution under
section-eight (clause five and six).

LINK:
http://www.house.gov/house/Constitut...stitution.html

Paper Money, in the United States did not start until
1861 during the U.S. Civil War. It printed currency, revenue
stamps (postage stamps), government obligations, and other
security documents.

Link:
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/2/314

Currently the "Bureau of Engraving and Printing", lost on
a court rulling on paper money and the blind. (See Below).
I do not know if this is bing appealed to the U.S.
Supreme Court.

SNIP ---------------------- SNIP

FROM:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ign-a-setback/

Nevertheless, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
said a currency that does not accommodate the special needs
of the blind means the government is discriminating against
them based on their disability, which violates the 1973
Rehabilitation Act.

Unless the U.S. Supreme Court overturns the 2-to-1 decision,
U.S. currency is likely to have a different look and feel to
it within a few years that includes raised bumps or different
materials for each bill.

The Washington-based American Council of the Blind sued the
Treasury Department, which argued that a redesign of the U.S.
currency created an unreasonable burden on the U.S. government.
The National Federation of the Blind filed an amicus brief in
support of the Treasury Department.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing hired a research firm
to determine the costs and best methods for redesigning the
currency. Their report is due early next year.

Old June 29th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 29, 5:30*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Thanks, it was Ruff. *What's he up to these days?- Hide quoted text -

Ruff is still bullish on gold.
You can find links to his articles on kitco.com

Old June 29th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

FROM:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...y-redesign-a-s...

"oly" wrote in message

This is very good, though I might quibble with some of his dating
(like on the "Mexican Silver Peso" expiring in 1992)...

http://www.safehaven.com/article-10637.htm

I am throwing this up as a historical reference ONLY...

any further inferences that you wish to make are your own.

oly- Hide quoted text -

I'm really not into the arguments about what U.S. money or shouldn't
be.

If you want to buy gold with your greenies, it's legal to do so. You
don't have to change the freakin' world. Just buy it.

oly
Old June 29th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:30:31 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I got my
first copy off of a book bargain table at the Smithsonian Institute in
the summer of 1975.

It's actually the Smithsonian Institution.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida