Shill Bidding on eBay

Old January 31st 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Shill Bidding on eBay

I bought more than 200 eBay items in the last several years with no
problem until now.

This eBay seller had a reserve. When I asked him about the item
conditions, he told me the reserve was at, i.e. $300. I put in my
maximum bid at $311, considering the item value.

When the bidding closed, there were 2 other bidders, one at $120 and
the other one at $299. The second bidder has (0) bid history! He and
the seller signed up with eBay about 2 months apart, more than 2 years
ago. The seller did not have any eBay activities in the last 14
months.

Since this seems like a typical shill bidding, I reported the issue to
eBay 3 days ago and received an automatic reply from eBay saying they
consider shill bidding a "serious" violation and they will investigate
the report within 24 hours.

I sent eBay another email yesterday to check on the report status and
once again received the same automatic reply from eBay.

Two questions arise:

1. How do you folks handle eBay shill bidding problem ? If I do not
pay, the seller can leave me a negative feedback. My current feedback
is 100%.

2. What is your experience with eBay when you need their help ? Is
there anything else I can do ?

Thanx,

Calvin

Old January 31st 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

Calvin wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

This inquiry seems to confuse two issues.
#1 = This item. Calvin bid what he thought was a
fair price, and knew was 4 per cent over the reserve
price. He now considers declining to make the purchase.
#2 = Shill bidding.

However deplorable, if either of the other bids here was
from a shill, it could not have bought the item for sale,
because less than the reserve price. Calvin remains
the only bidder over the reserve price.

This means, if Calvin now is reluctant to compete the
purchase, he would need a reason acceptable to eBay.
Is he seeking the reason from RCB users?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 31st 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foaddoc

wrote in message
oups.com...

1. How do you folks handle eBay shill bidding

You might be better off posting this in a shill collecting group. We only
know about book bidding.

Old January 31st 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Jan 31, 9:12 am, "foaddoc" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

1. How do you folks handle eBay shill bidding

You might be better off posting this in a shill collecting group. We only
know about book bidding.

I am sorry for the confusion. "Shill bidding" is defined as an
artificial bidding to raise the price in favor of the seller. If the
bidder with (0) history bid at $298, my bid would come in at $299,
under the reserve price and NO ONE won that item, i.e. a rare book!

If you ever bid on eBay, how would you feel when you encounter shill
bidding ?

Old January 31st 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

This inquiry seems to confuse two issues.
#1 = This item. Calvin bid what he thought was a
#2 = Shill bidding.

However deplorable, if either of the other bids here was
from a shill, it could not have bought the item for sale,
because less than the reserve price. Calvin remains
the only bidder over the reserve price.

This means, if Calvin now is reluctant to compete the
purchase, he would need a reason acceptable to eBay.
Is he seeking the reason from RCB users?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)- Hide quoted text -

There was no confusion in the inquiry. Even though my maximum bid was
4% over the reserve price, if the shill bidding was not there, my bid
would come in at $121, $1 over the genuine bidding and well under the
reserve price. NO ONE won that item.

I've expected all biddings should be done with honesty. Would you
expect the same in the virtual world ?

Old January 31st 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

wrote:

There was no confusion in the inquiry. Even though my maximum bid
was 4% over the reserve price, if the shill bidding was not there,
my bid would come in at $121, $1 over the genuine bidding and well
under the reserve price. NO ONE won that item.

I think you're wrong about that. If your bid is lower than the reserve
then, yes, it will come out at just over the next highest bidder. But if
you break the reserve then it will come out at just higher than the reserve.

At least, I think that's the case; there doesn't seem much point in
there being a reserve if someone - like you - can meet it and still not
win the item. You could check this on alt.marketing.ebay.

I've expected all biddings should be done with honesty. Would you
expect the same in the virtual world ?

That's a different matter. You could check the bidding on other items by
this seller, to see if there's a pattern, but shill bidding is hard to
prove and (unless things have changed recently) eBay isn't that hot on
chasing up possible abuses.

I don't suppose you'll buy from that seller again, feeling as you do,
and you might not want to give positive feedback, but you valued the
item at $300+ and it seems only reasonable that, having bid on it and
won it, you now go ahead and pay for it.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old January 31st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
William M. Klimon

On Jan 31, 12:46 pm, "
wrote:

There was no confusion in the inquiry. Even though my maximum bid was
4% over the reserve price, if the shill bidding was not there, my bid
would come in at $121, $1 over the genuine bidding and well under the
reserve price. NO ONE won that item.

I've expected all biddings should be done with honesty. Would you
expect the same in the virtual world ?

The point is that even if there was shill bidding, if the shill
bidding was under the reserve price it has no effect on the outcome of
the auction.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com