N.J. governor signs gay civil unions law

Old December 23rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Default N.J. governor signs gay civil unions law

foadOC contributed to the dysfunctionality of our forum for the
discussion of issues relating to book-collecting thus:

A fellow in Michigan (or somewhere, I don't recall) was recently charged
with

[offensive and possibly spurious material snipped]

Roaky Swerked brightened up our Christmas season with the observation:

more proof that homo sapien is just one step above his gorilla ancestors

Thank you so much, both of you.

I wish you success in finding a forum where your enlightened views will
be appreciated and hope that once you do so you will leave this
newsgroup alone.

Season's greetings.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old December 23rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
foadOC contributed to the dysfunctionality of our forum for the
discussion of issues relating to book-collecting thus:

A fellow in Michigan (or somewhere, I don't recall) was recently

charged
with

[offensive and possibly spurious material snipped]

Roaky Swerked brightened up our Christmas season with the observation:

more proof that homo sapien is just one step above his gorilla ancestors

Thank you so much, both of you.

I wish you success in finding a forum where your enlightened views will
be appreciated and hope that once you do so you will leave this
newsgroup alone.

Season's greetings.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

And you.

Do you have Chrimbo, sorry Winter Festival, in Japan then ?
And New Year ?

michael adams

" All it takes for trolls to prevail is for good men to keep responding
to them "

Sorry couldn't resist. And not after Edmund Burke, who apparently
said no such thing. Ah the joys of Usenet.

Old December 23rd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

I wrote:

Season's greetings.

Michael replied:

And you.

Do you have Chrimbo, sorry Winter Festival, in Japan then ?
And New Year ?

Yes, Japan has a "Christmas". Just to be bookish (might as well, eh,
even if no one else is!), here's a picture of the cover of "The
Sheep-man's Christmas", an untranslated work by Haruki Murakami:

http://rarebooksinjapan.com/murakami...schristmas.gif

And, just to be chatty (unlike the trolls, I think we have earned that
right), the Japanese Christmas consists of endless piped music versions
of all those ghastly American tunes about hypocritical reindeer and good
old boys on sleighs, played in shopping malls, supermarkets, etc.; a
"Christmas cake" made with lashings of fresh cream and strawberries; and
all the love hotels being booked up on Christmas Eve (I kid you not!).

The day after Christmas all the piped music and decorations are put away
until next year and Japan gets in gear for New Year which, in complete
contrast to its Christmas, is a deeply religious festival and a time for
the family to be together.

" All it takes for trolls to prevail is for good men to keep responding
to them "

Well, maybe. But I believe the original was *not* an exhortation to
stand by and do nothing.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Neither could I. Basically, trolls just want to be kicked and called
"Bad troll". If that's what they want, I say give it to 'em - do a good
job and send 'em packing!

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old December 23rd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foadOC

http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/in...310.xml&coll=4

Feel free to **** off if you don't like it yamamoron.

Old December 23rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

foadOC wrote:

[unnecessary link snipped]

Oh, I know, I know. I'm just curious that there was supposed to be a
court hearing, but there's been no report of it. Several other minor
news sites report the alleged crime as fact when, until there's been a
trial, this is unproven. If the perpetrator, whom they name in full,
really exists could result in them being sued for libel. Some of them
give AP as a source, which appears to be wrong. And there's nothing at
all in any of the major news sources. All of which gives me cause to doubt.

On the other hand, the BC reporter and the blind judge who handled the
case are bona fide, so maybe it's true, but I'm not jumping to any
conclusions.

If I really wanted to get into all of that, though, I'd choose a
different newsgroup. I only wish you would do the same.

[offensive, unnecessary and unseasonal language snipped]

Those parts of your reply that I haven't quoted simply weren't worth
quoting. The rest of it was very good.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old December 23rd 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

I wrote:

Season's greetings.

Michael replied:

And you.

Do you have Chrimbo, sorry Winter Festival, in Japan then ?
And New Year ?

Yes, Japan has a "Christmas". Just to be bookish (might as well, eh,
even if no one else is!), here's a picture of the cover of "The
Sheep-man's Christmas", an untranslated work by Haruki Murakami:

http://rarebooksinjapan.com/murakami...schristmas.gif

---

He's very good. I suppose you have sheep in Japan like everyehere
else, in the more mounainous parts anyway. I like the snowman with
the carrot nose as well.

And just to be bookish too, here's the back cover of my first
ever manga which I recently bought from a favourite charity shop
haunt for 20p.

http://i17.tinypic.com/48zl2fl.jpg

Robot girl (I think)

The front cover is more boring fortunately. As there was one
of the typical little old ladies serving behind the counter.
The book is in mint condition, well produced, and quite thick
( to use the technical term ) and it's fun trying to follow the
stories just from the illustrations - around 10-20% in colour,

And, just to be chatty (unlike the trolls, I think we have earned that
right), the Japanese Christmas consists of endless piped music versions
of all those ghastly American tunes about hypocritical reindeer and good
old boys on sleighs, played in shopping malls, supermarkets, etc.; a
"Christmas cake" made with lashings of fresh cream and strawberries; and
all the love hotels being booked up on Christmas Eve (I kid you not!).

The image many Westerners have of Japan is people in Harris tweed
sports jackets, drinking Johhny Walker whisky, and playing Beatles
records. Working very hard and then going totally berserk for short
periods of recreation, so I suppose that image fits.

Speaking of which, there is quite a considerable Japanese enclave
in the part of West London where I live. There are Japanese food
shops, catering mainly for Japanese I assume, and also a shop selling
more general Japanese stuff saucepans crockery etc actually on the High
Street appealing to the locals as well. English, Irish, Polish, Indian
you name it. They've also taken over a very large former Grammar School
with extensive grounds - Haberdasher Aske or it may have been the Royal
Masonic. It's well hidden on a back road so I've only been past it the
once. Its intriguing to think they should want to travel half way
around the world, to live around here. Maybe it's in the hope of
seeing more tweed jackets.

The day after Christmas all the piped music and decorations are put away
until next year and Japan gets in gear for New Year which, in complete
contrast to its Christmas, is a deeply religious festival and a time for
the family to be together.

" All it takes for trolls to prevail is for good men to keep responding
to them "

Well, maybe. But I believe the original was *not* an exhortation to
stand by and do nothing.

I know. It was a deliberate reversal.

Old December 23rd 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

I wrote:

[...]

Er sorry. Just so as to avoid any possible misunderstanding.
As you will realise but others maybe won't, the back cover is in
fact the front cover, and the front cover is the back cover.
As you read it backwards.

Just so as to make things crystal clear.

Old December 24th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

michael adams wrote:

I suppose you have sheep in Japan like everyehere else, in
the more mounainous parts anyway.

Funnily enough, no, not in most areas. Most of the mountains are thickly
forested, which isn't exactly what sheep want. I believe there are sheep
in Hokkaido, and some other areas, but I've never seen one.

Most Japanese people seem to have this strange idea that lamb and mutton
are very smelly (perhaps the only time they've ever smelled it is going
past a greasy kebab house), so the meat's not much in demand.

It's just Murakami, really. He seems to have a thing about sheep. [No,
not that kind of thing. Bad troll!] One of his zaniest works is A Wild
Sheep Chase; read a summary he

http://www.naxosaudiobooks.com/PAGES/41412.htm

here's the back cover of my first ever manga which I recently
bought from a favourite charity shop haunt for 20p.

http://i17.tinypic.com/48zl2fl.jpg

Robot girl (I think)

Well, yes, sort of. She's got a human brain in a cyborg body. Her name's
Motoko Kusanagi, and she's a major in the Shell strike force, which is
struggling to keep the peace between the nations while information
technology is revolutionising the world. The story's set in the not-too
distant future, and is called Koukaku Kidoutai (The Ghost in the Shell).
The author is known in English as Shirow Masanume. You should be able to
google up enough information from those leads to tell you everything you
need to know about it.

the back cover is in fact the front cover, and the front cover
is the back cover. As you read it backwards.

According to my Japanese sources it is we westerners who read books
backwards, and they who are reading them properly.

The image many Westerners have of Japan is people in Harris tweed
sports jackets, drinking Johhny Walker whisky, and playing Beatles
records.

Funny, but that all somehow seems very congruent. My impression is that
everything's much more garbled than that. Just as an example, my
daughter and I stopped in at a noodle shop for sustenance while
Christmas shopping yesterday and they had a "Christmas set lunch",
consisting of noodles with egg and seaweed with green tea flavoured ice
cream to follow.

Working very hard and then going totally berserk for short
periods of recreation

People do work hard. In my opinion, they should go a bit more berserk a
bit more often but, yes, I guess you're right, it gets pretty wild on a
Friday night. Not in the kind of way that makes you fear for your skin -
outright aggression is pretty rare, unless you tread on a yakuza's toes
or something - but still pretty wild.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old December 24th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foadOC

foadOC wrote:

[unnecessary link snipped]

Oh, I know, I know. I'm just curious that there was supposed to be a court
hearing, but there's been no report of it.

Um, how could you "know" there was supposed to be a court hearing if there
was no report of a court hearing.

Several other minor news sites report the alleged crime as fact when,
until there's been a trial, this is unproven.

Well golly, that's quite an insight.

If the perpetrator, whom they name in full, really exists could result in
them being sued for libel.

As an attorney I really appreciate your tutorial on US libel law. However, I
might appreciate it more if you had the vaguest ****ing clue what you were
talking about. Which you don't.

Some of them give AP as a source, which appears to be wrong. And there's
nothing at all in any of the major news sources. All of which gives me
cause to doubt.

Perhaps if you had the same investigative resources I do you'd be able to
put your doubts to rest. Still, I wonder what your poast has to do with book
collecting. Whining, sure I see that. Net nannying ****headism, on point.
Hypocrisy, par for the course. However, it seems to me that your discussion
of the truth or falsity of a reported case of bestiality has nothing to do
with books and everything to do with bestiality.Which is odd, becase you
just chastised several people, including valued group member Jamp Campion -
by proxy obviously, you wouldn't dare attempt to bully him directly - for
partaking in the discussion on bestiality, and here you are partaking in the
same discussion. What a sad little man you are.

On the other hand, the BC reporter and the blind judge who handled the
case are bona fide, so maybe it's true, but I'm not jumping to any
conclusions.

If I really wanted to get into all of that, though, I'd choose a different
newsgroup. I only wish you would do the same.

Yes, well unfortunately for you the wishes of stultifyingly boring half
witted hypocritical used book sellers do not have the force of law here in
usenet, so you'll have to put up with thoughts and ideas that don't bear
your imprimatur.

John
http://DoasIsayinnotasIdoinjapan.com

Old December 25th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

foadOC wrote:

[snipped]

I am delighted that you have found an interest in life. All that remains
is for you to find a suitable forum in which to develop that interest.
This isn't it.

John