Austria: Next Year's Coins

Old June 18th 04, 12:18 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Default Austria: Next Year's Coins

The Austrian Mint published its program for 2005. Issue dates are
subject to change, of course, but niobium collectors may already want to
note that date in March :-)

Jan 26: ¤5 (ag) 100 yrs Skiing
Feb 16: ¤50 (Au) Composers: Beethoven (125th birthday)
Mar 9: ¤25 (Ag-Nb) 50 yrs ORF Television
May 11: ¤5 (Ag) Beethoven - European Anthem
¤10 (Ag) 60 yrs Second Republic
¤2 (*) 50 yrs Staatsvertrag
BU (hgh) mint set
Jun 8: ¤20 Maritime History: Polar Expedition
Sep 14: ¤20 Maritime History: SMS St.Georg
Oct 12: ¤10 50 yrs Reopening of the Federal Theaters
Oct 12: Proof (PP) mint set
Nov 9: ¤100 Vienna Jugendstil: Steinhof Church

(*) That is a circulating commemorative, like the Greek "Athens
Olympics" coin issued earlier this year. It looks like a regular ¤2 coin
except that the country specific is different. Unlike the collectors
coins, this one is legal tender in all euro countries. (That
Staatsvertrag was the treaty that formally ended the occupation.)

And by the way, that "Federal Theaters" jubilee is interesting, from a
collector's point of view, for more than one reason: The first post-war
Austrian commemorative, issued in 1955, was dedicated to that very
reopening ...

Christian
Old June 19th 04, 02:01 AM
Dale Hallmark

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
[...]

The 1955 "Wiederoffnung Der Bundestheater" is a nice Twenty-Five Schilling
coin, 0.800 Silver, weighs 13g, and has a diameter of 30mm.

The obverse design is by Adolf Hofmann and was used after his death which
occured in 1953. So the reopening was certainly planned well in advance.
It was a BIG deal!
http://www.austriancoins.com/images/...lings/1955.jpg

The 2005 ¤10 will make a nice companion coin :-)

Dale

Old June 19th 04, 06:32 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Dale Hallmark wrote:

The obverse design is by Adolf Hofmann and was used after his death which
occured in 1953. So the reopening was certainly planned well in advance.

Yes, it had indeed been planned for a while, but that (about the
designer) I did not know. Thanks!

By the way, next year's niobium coin will probably have a red central
part. While that is from the Rumors and Gossip Dept., the info that the
2 euro coin will not be available from the Austrian Mint except in mint
sets is better founded ...

Christian
Old June 19th 04, 07:50 PM
Dale Hallmark

Dale Hallmark wrote:

The obverse design is by Adolf Hofmann and was used after his death

which
occured in 1953. So the reopening was certainly planned well in

advance.

Yes, it had indeed been planned for a while, but that (about the
designer) I did not know. Thanks!

By the way, next year's niobium coin will probably have a red central
part. While that is from the Rumors and Gossip Dept., the info that the
2 euro coin will not be available from the Austrian Mint except in mint
sets is better founded ...

Christian

Red Niobium hummmmm..... Where will it end? :-)
Hope they make several but wonder if over they years they all might
eventually tone to a common grey or blackish color.

the 2 euro, I usually get the mint set but not the proof.
I am not a huge fan of proof coins but with proof only issue
I have no choice.

Dale

Old June 19th 04, 09:18 PM
Dale Hallmark

Dale Hallmark wrote:

The obverse design is by Adolf Hofmann and was used after his death

which
occured in 1953. So the reopening was certainly planned well in

advance.

Yes, it had indeed been planned for a while, but that (about the
designer) I did not know. Thanks!

By the way, next year's niobium coin will probably have a red central
part. While that is from the Rumors and Gossip Dept., the info that the
2 euro coin will not be available from the Austrian Mint except in mint
sets is better founded ...

Christian

BTW
Which side of the 25 Schilling is considered oficially to be the front?

Dale

Old June 20th 04, 11:03 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Dale Hallmark wrote:

Red Niobium hummmmm..... Where will it end? :-)
Hope they make several but wonder if over they years they all might
eventually tone to a common grey or blackish color.

Good question ... The blue and green of the actual coins look darker
than in the printed images anyway, but still very nice. And if they turn
gray in a hundred years or so, I don't really care ;-)

the 2 euro, I usually get the mint set but not the proof.
I am not a huge fan of proof coins but with proof only issue
I have no choice.

With some proof coins a partly polished and partly frosted surface looks
neat, I have to admit, but other than that, I find such pieces too, hmm,
artificial. For example, I find that Australian Holey Dollar issued on
the occasion of the 2006 FIFA world cup quite intriguing: Two coins in
one, the "ring" (with football players) is one dollar, the detachable
core/dump (with the ball) is 25 cents. But heck, how am I supposed to
"play" with a proof piece? :-)

Christian
Old June 20th 04, 12:24 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Dale Hallmark wrote:

Which side of the 25 Schilling is considered oficially to be the front?

Tough. First, I do not know whether there is an Austrian law or other
official regulation that says which side is what. Apart from that ...

Some collectors, including myself, consider the side with the face value
the obverse - which is difficult if the value is indicated on both
sides. Others say that the side which determines the issuing country is
the front.

The Jaeger catalog makes a distinction between circulation coins (value
side = front) and commemorative/collectors coins (occasion side = front;
CoA always on the back). And as for the euro and cent circulation coin,
for example, the Commission and Council consider the country specific
side the obverse.

Pick any definition ;-)

Christian
Old June 21st 04, 10:41 PM
gogu

? "Christian Feldhaus" ?????? ??? ??????
Dale Hallmark wrote:

Which side of the 25 Schilling is considered oficially to be the front?

Tough. First, I do not know whether there is an Austrian law or other
official regulation that says which side is what. Apart from that ...

Some collectors, including myself, consider the side with the face value
the obverse - which is difficult if the value is indicated on both
sides. Others say that the side which determines the issuing country is
the front.

I believe that the face with the value is the reverse.
At least, this is the way the Red Book says...

--
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old June 22nd 04, 10:44 AM
Christian Feldhaus

gogu wrote:

I believe that the face with the value is the reverse.
At least, this is the way the Red Book says...

May well be so; I don't have one ... But I doubt there is a common,
globally accepted standard for what is the obverse and what is the
reverse. (Another example - what in the US is called coin alignment is
certainly not "coin alignment" is most of Europe g.) Best thing to do
is use terms like the one side and the other side ;-)

Christian
Old June 22nd 04, 11:02 PM
gogu

? "Christian Feldhaus" ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote:

I believe that the face with the value is the reverse.
At least, this is the way the Red Book says...

May well be so; I don't have one ... But I doubt there is a common,
globally accepted standard for what is the obverse and what is the
reverse.

Ah, that's for sure!

(Another example - what in the US is called coin alignment is
certainly not "coin alignment" is most of Europe g.) Best thing to do
is use terms like the one side and the other side ;-)

That reminds me when I was a young boy, we used to refer to the obv and rev
as "crown" and "letters" :-)
"Crown" was for the part with the head of our former king and "letters" was
for the "numbers" = value ...

BTW, the Austrian Mint has charged my credit card with 98 euros for the
first coin and the wooden chest of the Sea series we were discussing a few
weeks ago!
As soon as I receive it, I'll put a picture in my site.

--
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Christian

Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 2 January 31st 04 09:29 PM
Will raw coins become less or more popular this year? Paul Robertz Coins 4 January 11th 04 05:30 AM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Coin grading/authentication services -- periodic post Linda Coins 6 August 8th 03 06:25 AM