Old checks....

Old September 3rd 03, 11:59 PM
Anonymous Joe

Default Old checks....

Do old checks from the 1850s-1870s have any numistical value?

Not that I have any, but I worked at a college that had maybe about 100+ of
these old checks, not that they would be willing to sell them, since they
are part of the history.

FWIW, they are all in excellent condition, in terms of a grade like paper
money, AU would be fair.

Old September 4th 03, 12:07 AM
JSTONE9352

Do old checks from the 1850s-1870s have any numistical value?

Not that I have any, but I worked at a college that had maybe about 100+ of
these old checks, not that they would be willing to sell them, since they
are part of the history.

FWIW, they are all in excellent condition, in terms of a grade like paper
money, AU would be fair.

It depends. Some that have revenue

stamps on them have value due to the
stamp. I don't know enough about
revenue stamps to give you any advice
on that. Checks from famous companies or signed by famous people
usually have some value, also checks
with nice vignettes (illustrations) are
preferred over plain looking checks.

I would check in Ebay to get an idea of
what various kinds of checks are bringing. Its a highly specialized field and
values are hard to predict.

Old September 4th 03, 12:16 AM
Coin Saver

From: "Anonymous Joe"

Do old checks from the 1850s-1870s have any numistical value? a college had

100+ of these old checks, they are part of the history.

I think that you answered your own question.

FWIW, anything authentic, original, official, and dated, that is over 100 years
old, will have *some* elements of collector value.

P.S. Nit pick: it's 'numismatic value'.

8-/
Coin Saver
Old September 4th 03, 10:19 PM
Anonymous Joe

From: "Anonymous Joe"

Do old checks from the 1850s-1870s have any numistical value? a college

had
100+ of these old checks, they are part of the history.

I think that you answered your own question.

FWIW, anything authentic, original, official, and dated, that is over 100

years
old, will have *some* elements of collector value.

P.S. Nit pick: it's 'numismatic value'.

8-/
Coin Saver

Hmm...interesting. They are quite plain looking, and most are written for
paying teachers. Although some have paid for other things, various
companies services provided, for example, photographs, as to which there are
also many that I have found when going through an old archive room that was
forgotten about. Regardless, they won't be sold, but still interesting to
see the wages people would get for teaching at a college (then a normal
school, actually the 2nd normal school in the country, I believe...either
country or state).

Old September 5th 03, 09:13 PM
Anonymous Joe

From: "Anonymous Joe"

most are written for paying teachers. Although some have paid for other

things, various companies services provided, for example, photographs, as

which there are also many that I have found when going through an old

archive
room that was forgotten about.

One of the best places for finding 'treasures'. Here's an interesting
thought...
Sometimes people find treasure, not knowing what they're looking at. For
example, perhaps a research might show one of those teachers to have moved

on
to be someone important, like a Govenor or Senator. Or maybe something
interesting happened to one of those businesses ... even if not, those

photos,
like the documents, may be of historic value.

8-/
Coin Saver

Well, how's an honorary collegiate degree for the president of the college??

That was in there....

Old September 6th 03, 01:56 PM
Cal493

See the American Society of Check Collectors website -

http://members.aol.com/asccinfo

"Check 21" Scaupaug1 Pens & Pencils 1 December 4th 04 04:08 AM
NSF CHECKS DONDI3 Coins 13 July 20th 03 07:59 PM
Finds from Penny roll checks - weird canadian penny find Ron Coins 0 July 11th 03 07:52 AM
Lucille Ball checks price? Wanda Autographs 0 June 29th 03 06:33 AM