Roclola 442 missing write in cartridge

Old March 8th 04, 01:57 AM

Default Roclola 442 missing write in cartridge

Hi all

I;ve got a rock-ola 442 160 selection box. After poking around in it
for a bit (and looking at a parts manual) I noticed that it had only
one write in cartridge. It seems that someone along the way needed
one more than I did. Its been removed and the wiper arms bent back.

From reading the parts manual, and service manual, it looks like it
should function ok althougth the write in would take longer because
the remaining cartridge would have to travel further. I am having
some write in problems, however the cartridge always stops at the
correct pin, it just doesn't seem to fire.

My question is, should it work with only one cartridge? If not,
anyone out there got a spare?

Thanks

Pinwz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Old March 8th 04, 05:15 AM
HCV

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:57:09 GMT, wrote:

Hi all

I;ve got a rock-ola 442 160 selection box. After poking around in it
for a bit (and looking at a parts manual) I noticed that it had only
one write in cartridge. It seems that someone along the way needed
one more than I did. Its been removed and the wiper arms bent back.

From reading the parts manual, and service manual, it looks like it
should function ok althougth the write in would take longer because
the remaining cartridge would have to travel further. I am having
some write in problems, however the cartridge always stops at the
correct pin, it just doesn't seem to fire.

My question is, should it work with only one cartridge? If not,
anyone out there got a spare?

Thanks

Pinwz

I believe it should work fine - but like you said will take longer to
complete write in cycle. I will look in my parts bin and see if I
have one (will email if so). The problem with not firing is most
likely that one of the components in the write in cycle is not
working. The most likely culprits are the subtract coil in the credit
unit or the switch that is activated when the subtract coil fires. I
don't remember what the 442 credit unit is like exactly, but I think
it is the same or nearly so as the later 454/460/470 units. The
subtract coil on the Rockola credit units are prone to frying (closed
up in the little box??)

Open up your credit unit, and support the part(s) so nothing shorts.
Put the unit through a write in cycle, and see if the subtract coil
(separate coil in the unit) fires. It should pull in the plunger,
thereby removing a credit, and at the same time activating a switch
that allows the write in coil to fire. If the coil fires OK, check
the switch.

Also check that the wiper leading to each individual coil in the write
in head in making good contact with the drum contact strip.

If you have to go through the box, to find any other parts of this
circuit, it is a good idea to have a schematic handy.

Irwin

Old March 8th 04, 04:43 PM
drnec

Irwin:

Thanks for confirming that it should work. Do you know offhand what
voltage the coils fire at. I'm thinking of making a testlight to
trace the circut backwards from the coils.

Thanks,