Connecting a Wall Box to a Seeburg 161???

Old November 2nd 11, 03:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tec-9

Default Connecting a Wall Box to a Seeburg 161???

Hey all-
I was wondering if it is possible to connect a wallbox to a
Seeburg 161?? If so, do I need to find a particular model wallbox, or
one that just plays 160 selections to match the jukebox?
-Mark
Old November 2nd 11, 04:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Tec-9 wrote:
Hey all-
I was wondering if it is possible to connect a wallbox to a
Seeburg 161?? If so, do I need to find a particular model wallbox, or
one that just plays 160 selections to match the jukebox?
-Mark

Your jukebox needs a Stepper that works. Then you find a Seeburg wallbox
that is 160 or more selections that is also working...

The manuals for both will explain how to set them up to work together.
If you need manuals then contact folks like victoryglass.com or others
(we have them in Canada for example) as long as you know the model
numbers of the wallbox.

Info for what wallbox will work with the stepper is on several sites,
but can't think of them offhand - do a search!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old November 3rd 11, 11:14 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson View Post
Tec-9 wrote:[color=blue][i]
Hi John,

You need to check Ebay and other outlets for a 1961 Seeburg Consolette wall box and of course a stepper if one is not already fitted in your 1958 jukebox.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old November 3rd 11, 05:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
pinballnut

Not sure if the consolette is the way to go, I think those might be
wired differently inside. Certainly not the wb that came out at the
time the 161 came out. I have a 161 and was lucky enought to have one
with a stepper in it. Open the back door and look on the selection
receiver, that is where it would be. Then you need a 160 select (or
more like stated above) to hook up the the stepper-- 3 wires, not
difficult. If you live anyhere near Vacaville, CA, give me a hller.
Brad

Old November 3rd 11, 10:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tec-9

Thanks for the input guys! I'm new to jukeboxes, but have a good
amount of experience with pins and vids. From what I gathered from you
guys and the group, it sounds like my jukebox needs to have a "stepper
unit" on the selection receiver. Mine does appear to have one, so I'm
guessing that I can hook this up to a wallbox. Is there any way to
test this stepper unit before I find a wallbox? It looks like it is
missing a tube to operate the stepper unit, and I have a empty socket
that looks like it is for wiring on J505.
Thanks!
Mark L
Old November 4th 11, 05:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
pinballnut

Just looked in the cab of mine. Not sure what the J505 socket is for,
it's empty on my juke and I am set-up with a working wallbox, a 3W
160-- look here to see one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXlaU2U31M
Yep, you need the 2050 tube.
3 wires come from the wallbox and wire in to the stepper onto the
terminal strip towards the bottom of the selec rec. I do not know of a
way to test the stepper. maybe someone else here does. I'd just buy a
wallbox and see if it works. Caution though, I am almost sure the
consolettes won't work with this juke.
I say just buy the wallbox!
Bill mayhave one:
http://www.jukebox-parts.com/

Brad, Vacaville, CA

Old November 5th 11, 04:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

The correct wallboxes for this a S-3W160 (simple, non-accumulating
credit unit) or D-3W160 (dual pricing unit).

The easiest to work on is the single pricing one -S-3W160.

You can also use the 200 selection boxes with the "9" and "0" pages
remaining empty.

Hook up is simple- three wires:

Orange=Chassis ground
Green= 25VAC
Blue= Signal.

---Do NOT buy a consolette, these use a totally different pulse train
and will not select the correct records. It is possible to modify the
machine's stepper and add speaker control to use consolettes, I did
this for a 222 commercial installation, but that is beyond what you
are asking here.

The stepper itself should be cleaned and among other things, the
large 5 MFD capacitor should be replaced. For this I use five, 1 mfd
mylar capacitors rated at 200 volts or more. There are a number of
relays and their contacts that must be cleaned and the stepper wheels
must turn freely.

You will need a 2050 tube.

I use these systems in commercial operation and do a number of
modifications to improve reliability, for home use a relatively simple
overhaul should be adequate.

Rob/NYC
Old November 5th 11, 09:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tec-9

Wow, thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it!! I am going
to try and find a nice wallbox and take it from there! I will update
this post as I acquire the parts to make this happen. Thanks again for
info! I'm hoping the stepper in my machine is working, I'm sure I'll
find out once I find a wallbox! This should be a fun project!
-Mark
Old November 5th 11, 04:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Pinballnut wrote:
Just looked in the cab of mine. Not sure what the J505 socket is for,
it's empty on my juke and I am set-up with a working wallbox, a 3W
160-- look here to see one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXlaU2U31M
Yep, you need the 2050 tube.
3 wires come from the wallbox and wire in to the stepper onto the
terminal strip towards the bottom of the selec rec. I do not know of a
way to test the stepper. maybe someone else here does. I'd just buy a
wallbox and see if it works. Caution though, I am almost sure the
consolettes won't work with this juke.
I say just buy the wallbox!
Bill mayhave one:
http://www.jukebox-parts.com/

Brad, Vacaville, CA

The socket is for a booster transformer - if you have more than 5 or 6
wallboxes attached to the machine.

As for 'testing' the stepper a simple test is to simply attach a wire to
the Signal terminal of the three pin plug to the wallbox, and tap it
rapidly to the metal chassis. The stepper should click a bunch of times
and write in a random selection - and then the mech should scan and play
a single record.

If you want you can watch the stepper units as you click the wire to the
chassis - if you first click rapidly a couple of times, then pause about
1/2 second then click rapidly again a few times and then stop you should
see one stepup unit increment a few steps, the transfer relay change
state and switch to the next stepup unit which then pulses, then the
click as the write-in happens.

John :-#)#

Old November 5th 11, 10:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
pinballnut

John-- my 161 works great with the wallbox, but when selecting from
the juke the mech moves a bit each time I make a selection, but
doesn't go search, unitl I select about 6 times, then it will finally
work. If I use the service button/lever, since it starts to move when
you hit the lever over it's already searching and picks up fine. It's
like a switch is not adjusted properly. Any ideas?
thanks, Brad

--
* * (Please post followups or tech enquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9

Seeburg wall box russ omer Juke Boxes 4 April 13th 10 12:34 PM
Auctions ends today : 1950 Seeburg M100B Jukebox and 1950's Seeburgh Wall-o-matic 100, Wall Box , Rochester, NY woodrails General 0 August 21st 06 07:58 PM
Auctions ends today : 1950 Seeburg M100B and 1950's Seeburgh Wall-o-matic 100, Wall Box , Rochester, NY woodrails Juke Boxes 0 August 21st 06 07:50 PM
Connecting up a wall box to Rowe R-86 scunny01 Juke Boxes 1 May 2nd 06 12:11 AM
Wall Box Seeburg Nicola Tv Juke Boxes 0 August 28th 03 10:43 PM