I need help identifying this coin.

Old February 2nd 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheGreek

Default I need help identifying this coin.

On Feb 1, 5:01*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 1, 3:26?pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
TheGreek wrote:
The date is 1684 and I have no idea where it is from. ?Any help
would be appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tdinouli...eat=directlink

I believe it is a 6 stuiver coin made of .583 silver, dated 1684,
not 1664. The catalog number is KM50, and the type was made from
1672 through 1738 for the Dutch state of Zeeland.

James

James,

I believe you're correct. *I finally found something that makes
sense. *Check this out:

http://de.mimi.hu/numismatik/hoedjesschelling.html

"Hoedjesschelling
Niederl?ndische Schillingm?nze (Hutschilling) zu 6 Stuiver, die
zwischen 1672 und 1783 von der Provinz Seeland ausgegeben wurde. Die
Rs. zeigt einen L?wen mit Speer, auf dessen Spitze die Freiheitsm?tze
zu sehen ist."

Translated, this is:

Netherlandish schilling coin (hat schilling) 6 stuivers, were spent
between 1672 and 1783 in the province of Zeeland . *The obverse shows
a lion with a spear, on its the point can be seen a liberty cap.

I would assume that the date 1783 is a typo, as that date is not meaningful
to the catalog listings available to me. *Transpose the last two digits to
1738, though, and you have the last known date of issue for the reclining
lion with spear motif.

James- Hide quoted text -

Awesome info guys.. I really appreciate it. It's been bothering me
for the longest time. Out of curiousity.. is it worth anything?
Old February 2nd 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
TheGreek wrote:
[...]

For openers, your coin is bent, which has been partially responsible for its
uneven wear pattern. Secondly, it appears that there is a punch mark of
some sort beneath the lion's body, which has made a raised area on the
opposite side, making the uneven wear worse yet. If the coin were in
original Fine condition, which is indicated by the stronger part of the
design, it might retail for $25-$50, but with the damage and subsequent
uneven wear, its value is reduced, perhaps to the sentimental level. If I
owned the coin I would flatten out the bend as best I could, and keep it as
part of my collection. It's not everybody in your neighborhood who owns a
coin over 300 years old!

James

Old February 2nd 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheGreek

wrote:
TheGreek wrote:
[...]

I didn;t think it was worth much. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Need help identifying this coin Ed Goldberg Coins 5 March 17th 07 09:17 PM
Need help identifying a coin WheatPenny Coins 3 June 21st 06 05:01 PM
Help Identifying coin [email protected] Coins 8 March 14th 05 09:32 PM
Help identifying a coin? Snicker Coins 4 February 25th 04 06:21 AM
Help identifying this coin PLEASE?!? Alex Martindale Coins 6 December 26th 03 07:19 PM