Looking for distinctive coin

Old August 15th 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall

Default Looking for distinctive coin

The only really interesting WW2 US coin fitting the category would probably
be a Walking Liberty half dollar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking...ty_Half_Dollar

which were made from 1916-1947. It's about half an ounce in weight, mostly
silver and a nice worn one can usually be purchased for slightly more than
the silver value from most coin dealers. If you like the design and would
like something heavier, you can get a 1 oz. Silver American Eagle made by
the U. S. mint from 1986-present.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...n_eagle_silver

These are bullion coins that can be purchased for slightly more than the
silver value.from most dealers.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

"Steve McQueen" wrote in message
Hi guys,

This question may be a little out of the ordinary but I was wondering if
I could tap your collective intelligence on a coin-related question :-)

I'm not actually a coin collector but I'm a poker player and I've been
trying to think of an idea for a card protector for a while and I hit on
the idea of using an old coin. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing
about coin collecting so I was wondering if you guys could give me some
ideas?

Basically, what I'm looking for is a coin that's:

- Relatively inexpensive
- Interesting in some way, maybe some historical interest or from an
unusual/interesting time/place - ideas I had were maybe old U.S., maybe
war-era German or perhaps some kind of native american indian coin?
- Slightly on the large & heavy side for a coin
- Pretty readily available (e.g. through eBay or something like that)

As I said, I'm looking for a coin protector so it's really not important
to me to have an uncirculated coin as this thing's going to get bashed
around a lot.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate your ideas :-)

Best regards,
Steve

Old August 15th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Aug 14, 10:32*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Aug 14, 7:17 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Peter wrote:
On Aug 14, 3:16 pm, Steve McQueen wrote:
[...]

:-)

Best regards,
Steve

If you want an even bigger one, try a Russian 5 Kopek similar to eBay
item #330352318595

Oh heck, why not go for broke with a piece of Yap stone money?

James the Yapper- Hide quoted text -

Oh, stop picking on the guy. *I recommend a Pan-Pac $50.

Jerry
Dreaming- Hide quoted text -

It is quite distinctive and also very attractive. It is substantially
smaller than the 5 Kopeks (esp. the copper version of the 1700s), and
either is very substantially smaller than the Yap stones.
Old August 15th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

[...]

I can send you an "Ike" for face = postage. What year were you born? Get a
dollar coin of your birth year.
mk
I'd like to use a St Gaudens for a card protector

Old August 16th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On 14 Aug 2009 19:16:41 GMT, Steve McQueen wrote:
Basically, what I'm looking for is a coin that's:

- Relatively inexpensive

Does $20-$150, depending on condition, meet your budget?

- Interesting in some way, maybe some historical interest or from an
unusual/interesting time/place - ideas I had were maybe old U.S., maybe
war-era German or perhaps some kind of native american indian coin?

How about a 100+ year old coin which only got minted after the U.S.
fought two wars in quick succession?

- Slightly on the large & heavy side for a coin

38mm in diameter, 26.3 grams total weight, and 90% silver OK?

- Pretty readily available (e.g. through eBay or something like that)

Currently, there are about 10 of them offered on eBay.

The coin I'm suggesting is a 1903-1905 United States of America Peso,
minted for circulation in the Phillipines. At the end of the Spanish
American War, Spain ceded the archipelago to the U.S. in 1898, but the
U.S. also faced an Filipino uprising. The insurrection supposedly
ended in 1902, but there was sporadic fighting through 1913 or so.

During WWII, large numbers of Silver Pesos were dumped into the waters
of Manila bay into to prevent them from falling into Japanese hands.

Opinions and tastes vary, but I even find it to be an attractive
design.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
Old August 16th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
beekeep

[...]

I play texas holdem 3+ times a week and use an old silver dollar as my card
holder. 1883-O to be exact. It works great and has become my trademark at the
table. They can be bought very close to melt so they really don't cost you
anything. If you wanted something a little more interesting perhaps a trade
dollar?

beekeep

Old September 21st 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve McQueen

Hi guys,

This question may be a little out of the ordinary but I was wondering if
I could tap your collective intelligence on a coin-related question :-)

Many thanks for all your replies - they were all great. I particularly
liked the one about the bawdy house tokens - I'd never heard of those
before but I love the concept :-)

In the end, I decided to go for a slight variation on what I was
originally thinking. Instead of getting a real coin, I found a company
that sells giant (3" diameter) replicas of vintage coins.

From their whole catalogue, I chose a really beautiful coin that I'd
never seen before - a 1907 St Gauden's $20 coin with the flying eagle on
one side and lady liberty on the other. Actually, it seems from what I've
read to be a very rare coin (well, the original is at least :-) in that
it was mistakenly produced without "In God We Trust" on it (rectified in
later issues) and the date is printed in Roman numerals rather than
Arabic ones as is usual on U.S. coins.

So, I managed to get a really beautiful coin that I'd never seen before
which is big & heavy enough to be used for a card protector but is also
really, really cheap and really, really good quality so in the end I'm
really happy with it. And I learned something about coins along the
way :-)

Thank you all for your help,
Steve
Old September 21st 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

"Steve McQueen" wrote in message
Hi guys,

This question may be a little out of the ordinary but I was wondering if
I could tap your collective intelligence on a coin-related question :-)

Many thanks for all your replies - they were all great. I particularly
liked the one about the bawdy house tokens - I'd never heard of those
before but I love the concept :-)

In the end, I decided to go for a slight variation on what I was
originally thinking. Instead of getting a real coin, I found a company
that sells giant (3" diameter) replicas of vintage coins.

From their whole catalogue, I chose a really beautiful coin that I'd
never seen before - a 1907 St Gauden's $20 coin with the flying eagle on
one side and lady liberty on the other. Actually, it seems from what I've
read to be a very rare coin (well, the original is at least :-) in that
it was mistakenly produced without "In God We Trust" on it (rectified in
later issues) and the date is printed in Roman numerals rather than
Arabic ones as is usual on U.S. coins.

So, I managed to get a really beautiful coin that I'd never seen before
which is big & heavy enough to be used for a card protector but is also
really, really cheap and really, really good quality so in the end I'm
really happy with it. And I learned something about coins along the
way :-)

Thank you all for your help,
Steve

It was deliberately produced without IGWT.

Old September 24th 09, 11:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve McQueen

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:26:15 -0500, Terry wrote:

From their whole catalogue, I chose a really beautiful coin that I'd
never seen before - a 1907 St Gauden's $20 coin with the flying eagle
on one side and lady liberty on the other. Actually, it seems from what
I've read to be a very rare coin (well, the original is at least :-) in
that it was mistakenly produced without "In God We Trust" on it
(rectified in later issues) and the date is printed in Roman numerals
rather than Arabic ones as is usual on U.S. coins.

It was deliberately produced without IGWT.

Well, I guess you can say it either way, I guess. The story as I heard it
was that the artist designed it that way (so, in that sense it was
deliberate) but that it was the U.S. Mint's policy & custom to include
"In God We Trust" on all coins, just nobody happened to tell the artist
that (so, in that sense it was mistaken). And, of course, from 1908
onwards, the coins had the phrasing re-instated.

I still do find the inclusion of "In God We Trust" on U.S. coins a bit of
a puzzler as the U.S. is still one of the only countries in the world
founded as a secular nation. Slightly bizarre :-)

Best regards,
Steve
Old September 24th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On 24 Sep 2009 10:32:06 GMT, Steve McQueen wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:26:15 -0500, Terry wrote:

From their whole catalogue, I chose a really beautiful coin that I'd
never seen before - a 1907 St Gauden's $20 coin with the flying eagle
on one side and lady liberty on the other. Actually, it seems from what
I've read to be a very rare coin (well, the original is at least :-) in
that it was mistakenly produced without "In God We Trust" on it
(rectified in later issues) and the date is printed in Roman numerals
rather than Arabic ones as is usual on U.S. coins.

It was deliberately produced without IGWT.

Well, I guess you can say it either way, I guess. The story as I heard it
was that the artist designed it that way (so, in that sense it was
deliberate) but that it was the U.S. Mint's policy & custom to include
"In God We Trust" on all coins, just nobody happened to tell the artist
that (so, in that sense it was mistaken). And, of course, from 1908
onwards, the coins had the phrasing re-instated.

It was more than somebody "forgetting" to tell Augustus St. Gaudens,
who designed the coin. Teddy Roosevelt, who was president at the
time, specifically didn't want it included on coins, because he felt
it cheapened the motto to have it on something like money.

take care,
Scott
Old September 24th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Thomas A.[_2_]

Steve McQueen wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:26:15 -0500, Terry wrote:

From their whole catalogue, I chose a really beautiful coin that I'd
[...]

Actually, the U.S. wasn't founded as secular. That would be worldly as
opposed to spiritual. It was founded where one of the tenets was freedom
from religious persecution. So, you could worship as you wish, as there was
no state-sanctioned religious flavor. The U.S. acknowledges a diety as in
IGWT or ...one nation under God....