Banks tellers don't like.......

Old December 10th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

Default Banks tellers don't like.......

Banks tellers don't like $2s, halves, sacs, SBAs, Prezi bucks, or even Ikes.
I was getting change today and Jane asked me if I wanted the "dollars" she
had. I she knows I like coins. I aid sure and the got out about $40 in
sacs, SBAs and Prezi bucks. Then she got out almost 3 rolls of 50 cent
pieces. Then she got out a few $2 and then came out $18 in Ikes. I took
it all. 4 halves were silver clad. Nothing looked really good but it was
neat to see all that stuff together.
mk

Old December 10th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "MJKolodziej" wrote:
Banks tellers don't like $2s, halves, sacs, SBAs, Prezi bucks, or even Ikes.
I was getting change today and Jane asked me if I wanted the "dollars" she
had. I she knows I like coins. I aid sure and the got out about $40 in
sacs, SBAs and Prezi bucks. Then she got out almost 3 rolls of 50 cent
pieces. Then she got out a few $2 and then came out $18 in Ikes. I took
it all. 4 halves were silver clad. Nothing looked really good but it was
neat to see all that stuff together.
mk

bank tellers often have a small hoard or one thing the sit on.
a teller in boston sat on a $5 she got in the 60's until i showed her a
redbook and offered her a fair price. she told me of the people who tried to
buy ti including a clown who was going to sue her is he didn't get it at face.
he wasn't even a bank customer, came in for meter change. i gues security got
him out.
most people offered her 25-50 bucks. i paid $150 for a vf in the early 90's. i
still have it because it plugged a hole.
most have some small silver pile, usually from some poor shlub or a drunk.
i've bought many single peace and morgan's, usually by offering a fair price.
sometimes they get psycho and know that you're out to screw them and that book
is a fake or blah blah. like the people who think the grandkids will retire on
that set of state quarters. got them all for "free" too. glad i won't be
around for the wailing and whining. bicentennial revisted and amplifief by a
zillion.
my fave was still the bank teller in the late 80's who sold me 40 mixed
dollars for face. wouldn't tkae more, but did let me buy her a bottle of wine.
she was married and didn't give off any lust vibes, so i'll never figure it
out.
Old December 11th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Lorrie S." wrote in message
"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
Banks tellers don't like $2s, halves, sacs, SBAs, Prezi bucks, or even

Ikes.

They don't like masked men either.

Or veiled old ladies with 50 rolls of pennies to cash in.

Old December 11th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Lorrie S." wrote in message
"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
Banks tellers don't like $2s, halves, sacs, SBAs, Prezi bucks, or even

Ikes.

They don't like masked men either.

Or veiled old ladies with 50 rolls of pennies to cash in.

or 60 rolls of halves.
Old December 11th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article ,
"MJKolodziej" wrote:

Banks tellers don't like $2s, halves, sacs, SBAs, Prezi bucks, or even Ikes.

I can't imagine they like pennies either, but since those are "normal"
coins they probably don't think about what a pain in the butt they are.
At least the other denominations you mention have some value.

But I agree with them about SBAs and, although "I like Ike" they are
probably a pain because of their size.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old December 11th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:08:48 -0500, Paul Anderson
wrote:

But I agree with them about SBAs and, although "I like Ike" they are
probably a pain because of their size.

I would prefer the Mint went back to a coin with the composition of
the SBA's as they do not tone and get ugly as quickly. I have 1979
SBA's which look brighter than Presidential Dollars from last year.
Should they start to actually circulate I can't imagine how they will
look in 5-10 years, let alone the 30 years the Mint claims Dollar
coinis would last.

Old December 11th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article ,
Jon Purkey wrote:

I would prefer the Mint went back to a coin with the composition of
the SBA's as they do not tone and get ugly as quickly. I have 1979
SBA's which look brighter than Presidential Dollars from last year.
Should they start to actually circulate I can't imagine how they will
look in 5-10 years, let alone the 30 years the Mint claims Dollar
coinis would last.

I agree the toning is unattractive, but I never heard anyone complain
about how shiny new pennies turn dark brown after a time.

The Canadian dollar coin looks much better after years of circulation.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old December 11th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shreadvector

On Dec 11, 10:08*am, Paul Anderson wrote:
In article ,
*Jon Purkey wrote:

I would prefer the Mint went back to a coin with the composition of
the SBA's as they do not tone and get ugly as quickly. I have 1979
SBA's which look brighter than Presidential Dollars from last year.
Should they start to actually circulate I can't imagine how they will
look in 5-10 years, let alone the 30 years the Mint claims Dollar
coinis would last.

I agree the toning is unattractive, but I never heard anyone complain
about how shiny new pennies turn dark brown after a time.

The Canadian dollar coin looks much better after years of circulation.

Paul

--
*Paul Anderson
* OpenVMS Engineering
* Hewlett-Packard Company

As I have said before, the reason they are dull looking is that they
are NOT circualting fast enough. Once they are used more frequently,
they will be buffed slightly as they jingle around in pockets or
register slots or in coin handling equipment.

JUST like silver coins did. Remember how they wouold turn black if you
touched them and then left them alone? Yet if you circulateed them,
the silver coins would buff up nicely.

The Canadian Loon Dollar gets jingled and buffed because it is used.
Old December 11th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Jon Purkey wrote:

[...]

So who are you scolding for not circulating these coins fast enough?
Everyone along the chain? Seems to me that most of the golden dollar coin
mintage is sitting around in bags and rolls and shouldn't turn ugly for
quite a while. If you DO encounter an ugly buck, it's likely in
circulation. So to keep it pretty are you supposed to carry it in your
pocket or hurry up and spend it? BTW, to me "jingling" doesn't equate to
"buffing". More like nicking and scratching, which I guess will keep them
shiny, too.

JUST like silver coins did. Remember how they wouold turn black if you
touched them and then left them alone? Yet if you circulateed them,
the silver coins would buff up nicely.

Never heard of that one. I grew up with silver coins and rarely encountered
a black one except for some Unc quarters that were kept in those little coin
envelopes for decades. People are claiming that golden dollars are turning
ugly in a year or two, maybe BECAUSE of the handling. I have had a couple
of GW dollars sitting in the open on my desk for two years now and they
still look pretty much like they did when new. Maybe if I had handled them
more often......