Barroso says crisis has brought Britain closer to euro

Old December 1st 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Barroso says crisis has brought Britain closer to euro

Hello

I have not been back to the United Kingdom since
1999. Much has change.

FROM:
http://www.todayonline.com/articles/290024.asp

Business - Monday, December 1, 2008

Barroso says crisis has brought Britain closer to euro

Time is GMT + 8 hours

Euro coins. Britain is considering joining the
eurozone as a direct consequence of global
financial turmoil, European Commission President
Jose Manuel Barroso said Sunday.

The international financial crisis has set off a
radical change in thinking in Britain about the
euro, EU commission chief Jose Manuel Barroso
said Sunday.
..
While acknowledging the majority opposition in
Britain to embracing the euro, Barroso told
French radio: "We are now closer than ever before."
..
He added: "I'm not going to break the
confidentiality of certain conversations, but
some British politicians have already told
me: 'If we had the euro, we would have been
better off'."
..
Sterling has suffered major falls in the credit
crunch which has seen Britain, like other
governments, spend massively in recent months to
support the banking system.
..
"The British have an enormous quality one of
many, that is they are pragmatic," Barroso said
on an RTL radio/LCI television broadcast. "This
crisis has emphasised the importance of the
euro, in Britain as well."
..
"I don't mean this will happen tomorrow, I know
that the majority (of British people) are still
opposed, but there is a period of consideration
underway and the people who matter in Britain
are currently thinking about it," the former
Portuguese prime minister said.
..
Barroso pointed to the case of Denmark, another
EU state which has so far refused to accept the
euro but is considering holding a new referendum
on the single currency. The Danish voted against
joining in 2000. - AFP The international

Old December 1st 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

Completely of topic, have you seen London Bridge?
mk

Old December 1st 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
owncomputing...

Completely of topic, have you seen London Bridge?
mk

Hello

Yes to both London Bridges.

I have walk over the old London Bridge, in Lake Havasu
City, Arizona.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...ke_Havasu_City)

I have also walk over the London Bridge in London. I also
walked over Tower Bridge as well. Love London, the city and
it's people. Love the underground to get around. The Tims River
was much bigger than I though.

Old December 1st 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:04:31 -0700, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
towncomputing...

Completely of topic, have you seen London Bridge?
mk

Hello

Yes to both London Bridges.

I have walk over the old London Bridge, in Lake Havasu
City, Arizona.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...ke_Havasu_City)

I have also walk over the London Bridge in London. I also
walked over Tower Bridge as well. Love London, the city and
it's people. Love the underground to get around. The Tims River
was much bigger than I though.

Not much compared to the River Themes, though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 1st 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

wrote:

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
etowncomputing...

Completely of topic, have you seen London Bridge?
mk

Hello

Yes to both London Bridges.

I have walk over the old London Bridge, in Lake Havasu
City, Arizona.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...ke_Havasu_City)

I have also walk over the London Bridge in London. I also
walked over Tower Bridge as well. Love London, the city and
it's people. Love the underground to get around. The Tims River
was much bigger than I though.

Not much compared to the River Themes, though.

Even that's much compared to the River Thames.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 1st 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

It would not be the best of ideas for the UK to change to the euro when the
pound is very low against it. Billy

m...

Old December 1st 08, 10:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
owncomputing...

Completely of topic, have you seen London Bridge?
mk

Hello

Yes to both London Bridges.

I have walk over the old London Bridge, in Lake Havasu
City, Arizona.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...ke_Havasu_City)

I have also walk over the London Bridge in London. I also
walked over Tower Bridge as well. Love London, the city and
it's people. Love the underground to get around. The Tims River
was much bigger than I though.

Londoners are widely regarded by UK residents as the least nice people in
the UK, they have no manners, I may be bias however being Scottish, by far
the nicest of course. :-) Billy

Old December 1st 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 1, 4:25*am, "note.boy" wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in messagenews:KL6dne3KWvfO_67UnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@earth link.com...

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
towncomputing...

Completely of topic, have you seen London Bridge?
mk

Hello

Yes to both London Bridges.

I have walk over the old London Bridge, in Lake Havasu
City, Arizona.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...ke_Havasu_City)

I have also walk over the London Bridge in London. I also
walked over Tower Bridge as well. Love London, the city and
it's people. Love the underground to get around. The Tims River
was much bigger than I though.

Londoners are widely regarded by UK residents as the least nice people in
the UK, they have no manners, I may be bias however being Scottish, by far
the nicest of course. *:-) *Billy- Hide quoted text -

Yep, you're a walking advertisement for all things Scotch, that's fer
sure.

oly
Old December 1st 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

note.boy wrote:
It would not be the best of ideas for the UK to change to the euro when the
pound is very low against it. Billy

Let's say that the UK does go with the Euro, how will the Royal Mint do their
coins - a single set of designs for all of the UK or separate sets of designs
for England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, along with all of those
other lesser places that also use the Pound?

(I can just imagine going into a pub in Dublin, ordering a Guinness or whisky
and paying for it with a €2 coin or two with King Chuck's mug on the back....)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
Old December 1st 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

The eurocrats being what they are I imagine that the UK would be allowed
just one design of euro coin. Billy

Regards, | |\ ____