Seeburg redheads - the next 345-03D?

Old October 18th 03, 08:20 PM
mike

Default Seeburg redheads - the next 345-03D?

I got into a conversation a few weeks back with a guy on this board about
the current value of a Seeburg redhead mono cartridge. At the time, I
believed their value to be around $35-$45USD ea or so. Since then, I have
seen at least two redhead auctions with starting bids of $100! Just a few
mins ago while browsing thru the VG online catalog, I was surprised to see
used redheads listed for $100ea with a new set of the cantilever needles.

Are redheads getting so scarce that they are now bringing this kind of $?

Mike in Dallas

Old October 19th 03, 02:01 AM
Ken G.

I posted an OD3 topic a while back about how they were not all that
special . In fact they sound about the same as a red head .
I was just today talking to a juke guy who has been in the buy - restore
- sell for many years . He used to go to shows and buy new in tube OD3
cartridges for 35$ each and red heads were 3$ .
As he is still buying & selling jukes he still goes to shows to buy
parts .. he has a hard time finding any used seeburg cartridge anymore .

I have an odd Pickering cartrige in my G that blows the doors off a OD3

Old October 19th 03, 06:12 AM
Tony Miklos

Ken G. wrote:
I posted an OD3 topic a while back about how they were not all that
special . In fact they sound about the same as a red head .
I was just today talking to a juke guy who has been in the buy - restore
- sell for many years . He used to go to shows and buy new in tube OD3
cartridges for 35$ each and red heads were 3$

That was the good ol' days when pickering was still pickering. Well
near the end the original pickering company was getting pretty sneaky.
They claimed the dies for I think the T shaped needles was worn out so
the needles would be NLA. They couldn't afford to have a new die made
for just the stylus, but they spent the money to have an entire new
cartridge made to replace it for about $150! For normal price
increases, (like 10 to 30%) they would send me a letter letting me know
in advance of the increases. But when they more than doubled the price
of the O3D's, they gave no advance warning. Then the company was sold
and things *really* went downhill.

And also, I have a couple redheads around if people are really paying
$100 for them! I really should learn to eBay stuff.
--
Tony