AMI R-82 basket never stops rotating....ever!

Old November 18th 06, 02:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default AMI R-82 basket never stops rotating....ever!

Hi group,
I'm working on an AMI R-82. The basket will not stop rotating. Scan LED
is on all the time, and manual says "trouble is a bad memory unit or
encoder.".
I see five circuit boards around the mech and inside the
cabinet......which one is the encoder (I think I have the memory unit
one figured out)?
If the encoder (board) is bad, and the memory unit also, where should I
look as a plausible cause for this. While I know some out there will
recommend sending the boards to Bruce Wentworth, he hasn't answered my
last seven or eight e-mails/telephone messages, even I though I once
did send some boards to him......Yes, they turned out fine!
Thank you for any help you may be able to offer on this problem, Rob

Old November 18th 06, 12:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Thomas Teeter

It is the large unit to the the right of the mech. Has a visible window
where you will see a set of wiper contacts. More than likely a problem
with a broken wire, bad contacts, or poor contact with the wiper board.
Hope this helps...

Thomas

Old November 18th 06, 01:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Grauwulf

When my R-82 was doing that it was a bad memory module.

Old November 19th 06, 04:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tenpin

Did the machine work properly since you have had it and all of a sudden the
record magazine does not stop rotating ? If you never saw it working
properly it may be possible that the encoder unit was removed and not
re-installed properly. There is a mark on the gear that lines up with the
opening in the metal bracket on the mechanism. See service manual for
proper allignment.

Yes, it could also be a bad memory module. Does the record now playing
indicator on the front of the machine do anything while the machine is
scanning ? That could be a clue.

If the main chip in the memory module is bad it miy not be easy to get
another one unless you can buy a complete replacement memory module.

The Mech Control Module on the lower front left of the mech frame could also
be at fault if the Triac for the magazine motor has shorted and wants to run
the scan circuit all the time.

Check the allignment of the encoder unit, check the resistance of the
resistors on it, view the condition of the wipers on the encoder. Do Not
try to turn the encoder gear in the reverse direction as it will bend the
wipers out of shape. One way clutch type bearings were used in the encoders
to prevent this.

A scource for parts may be John Durfee I think his website addy is
www.jukeboxparts.com give him a call if you dont see the parts you need on
the website.

Don't forget to check for the obvious things as well like poor connections
on interconnecting plugs etc.

The R-83 is a great machine when working properly. I used to un-crate these
when they were new from the factory. It was a poopular model along with the
prior model R-82 which used the same cabinet and for the most part the same
components inside.
oups.com...

Old November 19th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tenpin

AMI used the same operating system from models R-80 S thru R-83,
electronic modules should be interchangeable. There were two types of
memory units, one with the external battery & charger and the later one with
internal battery pack and charger. The later one also included timed
auto-play and a continuous play feature that played B sides only . Both
memory units are interchangable and would suggest anyone having these
replace the batteries or remove them so corrosion from old batteries does
not contaminate other components.

mech parts on these models should be interchangable as well. There were
variations in amplifiers although that has nothing to do with this problem.
Good Luck !

2600 record stops paw Juke Boxes 6 September 13th 06 01:51 PM
2600 record stops paw Juke Boxes 0 September 11th 06 05:08 PM
FA: WWI German Officers Basket Hilted Sword, Exc fishnet General 0 March 19th 05 08:00 PM
Hummingbird Birdbath,Blue Willow Egg Plate, Basket, Head Vase gracings General 0 February 27th 04 12:03 AM
FS "Basket of Love" #7622 lladro peterazz General 0 September 20th 03 01:53 AM