Rowe CD-100 - help

Old September 2nd 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Rowe CD-100 - help

People are coming tomorrow to hopefully buy the one i have - but i have
no sound and are these lights suppose to be blinking - the Rowe link
response light and the RS485 status light - as you can tell i dont know
much about this machine

Old September 2nd 06, 07:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Kr

On 1 Sep 2006 17:42:39 -0700, "
wrote:

People are coming tomorrow to hopefully buy the one i have - but i have
no sound and are these lights suppose to be blinking - the Rowe link
response light and the RS485 status light - as you can tell i dont know
much about this machine

The Rowelink command/response lights are supposed to blink pretty much
all the time.
You must know more than most to know that its run on a 485 bus.

As for the sound, I cant tell you a thing based on what you have told
of it. We need to know everything else thats relevant, and what you
have tried so far
Old September 2nd 06, 12:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

its easy to know about the lights - they have labels by them but
as for the sound i really havent tried anything - dont even know where
to start - also when i pick a selection the arm retrives it and come
down but only stays for a couple of seconds then puts the cd back in
place ?

Old September 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

Are all three of the LED's lit on the power supply?

What model of laser player is installed in this juke? Philips CDM3
(doesn't have any label to state model number--just a warning label
about laser safety), Philips CDM4 (says model on a paper label),
Phillips CDM-12 (says model number embossed in the aluminum frame),
Philips CD PRO (cast into aluminum frame), or Philips CD PRO-2?

All models except the PRO-2 are obsolete and unrepairable.

What exact jukebox model number of the CD-100 do you have? Plain 100,
100A, 100B, 100C, etc?

If early CD-100 (plain) or 100A, has the power supply board and Central
Control Computer (CCC) had all the upgrades performed on them?

What level of software chip is installed in the Central Control
Computer? There's a rectangular hole cutout at the very top left where
you can see the label on that chip. Should be at least version 3.2 for
stabile and proper operation. If it's earlier than 3.2 then telephone
your local authorized Rowe distributor's parts department and purchase
a new software chip (preprogrammed ready to install) for yours.

Judging by the fact that the mechanism put the cd down for just a few
seconds, either the laser player couldn't read the disc (due to the
laser player going bad) or the reject ("cancel") switch or the wiring
to it being stuck closed.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

If you don't have the full manuals set, then check out ebay seller,
"jeffwager". He has tons of excellent reproduction jukebox manuals. The
CD 100 series generally sells for around $28.95 plus $4.50 to ship from
him.

If the board is blinking board errors, flip the normal-service switch
into the service mode and navigate thru the menu to find out what error
code(s) the board is reporting. That'll help narrow down the problem.

Old September 2nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Thomas Teeter

Obsolete , perhaps. Unrepairable? I'm not sure where you get this
inaccurate information? All Phillips players from CDM3 on up are
repairable. Perhaps you do not know of a source?
Bruce Wentworth repairs all models of the Phillips players. If I recall
correctly, about $100 plus shipping. And a warranty on top of that...

Old September 3rd 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

Thomas Teeter wrote:
Obsolete , perhaps. Unrepairable? I'm not sure where you get this
inaccurate information?

Several years ago I contacted Philips and they told me they no longer
support anything before the PRO player. They said there were zero parts
available and would not support these old players---period! That was
also the reason Rowe gave me as to the change in players over the
years. Rowe could also not get parts to repair the players hence they
had to switch to a newer model.

Old September 3rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Kr

On 2 Sep 2006 16:54:28 -0700, "Ken Layton" wrote:

Thomas Teeter wrote:
Obsolete , perhaps. Unrepairable? I'm not sure where you get this
inaccurate information?

Several years ago I contacted Philips and they told me they no longer
support anything before the PRO player. They said there were zero parts
available and would not support these old players---period! That was
also the reason Rowe gave me as to the change in players over the
years. Rowe could also not get parts to repair the players hence they
had to switch to a newer model.

I was told that there was a specific precision mechanical part (made
by a 3rd party) that philips could no longer source for the CDM - 3
and that finished them.

Shame, I dont mind the old CDM 3
Old September 3rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Kr

On 2 Sep 2006 08:26:17 -0700, "Ken Layton" wrote:

[...]

If the cancel switch on the CCC is stuck closed, the juke simply logs
it as a switch error and continues working. (of course you cant use
the cancel button) Had one on location like this for some months
before I found the error, and the short in the cancel switchwiring
that was causing it.

I would put my money on a faulty CD player, or power supplying it.
Old September 6th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Thomas Teeter

Hmmmm... What Phillips told you sounds EXACTLY like the same thing the
Chevrolet and my Chevy dealership told me about 10 years ago when I was
looking for parts for my old 1966 pickup. Think of it this way... The
manufacturer is looking to market new product, NOT SUPPORT THE OLD.
Think of it as planned obsolescence to make an owner think, "Gee, since
parts aren't available, I MUST buy the newest model." Just because the
manufacturer says that they won't support a product *DOES NOT* mean
that parts or service are not available to fix older product.
BTW, Rowe NEVER serviced nor stocked parts for these Phillips players-
these units were sent to Phillips for repair. That is why your local
distributor could never provide you with schematics and/or parts lists.
I learned this from a tech seminar sponsored from my local Rowe
distributor. So naturally when Phillips tells Rowe there is no longer
service or parts available, what do you think your local distributor is
going to tell you...
These units are still serviceable. Don't believe everything you are
told...