Missing my friends here -- so an attempt to get discussion going

Old November 21st 10, 11:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Missing my friends here -- so an attempt to get discussion going

On Nov 20, 6:26*pm, jim wrote:
On Nov 19, 8:20*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

jim found these unused words:

On Nov 18, 1:20*pm, Joshua McGee wrote:
On Nov 18, 8:32*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

There's a specialized catalogue for just the Machins - you'll have to google
for it as I don't collect past 1971.

There are several, but the most highly renowned is probably Deegam,
which we've been discussing in this thread.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Los Angeles, California, USA,

Hello:

I thought I would leave my thoughts with you, and I have checked the
MACHIN Sites and like what I see, and I
will be back more often than not. To keep this thread going is a great
idea, and I have enjoyed your comments
and I have been busy as well.
I have got my show-guard mounts out and mounted all my Russian Space
collection, so that I can enjoy it for the rest
of my life. I know it is trivial, but I have over 200 space stamps and
as you already know Russia(Soviet Union) is no more.
I like what I do for it, I would never think of selling it, but I know
the feelings of stamp collectors that put thier life into
thier works. I am glad I am counted on this thread.
jim

Did you get the join cover issue for the Soyuz-Gemini? [I think that's
right] Came in a fancy wallet 'presentation'.- Hide quoted text -

Hello:

I have only a whole page of the Soyuz-Apollo mission, I dont remember
Gemini ever getting to the Soyuz at all.
I have a large collection of space related stamps from all over the
world, and know a lot about flights that I remember, seeing I was a
teen-ager back then, and money was plentiful. Now I try to keep what I
have, make things last and get to a large show once every year. ROPEX
in Rochester is pretty big, and in the 80's I went to one in Toronto.
Sputnik was pretty big, Soviet's were always out doing us, and as soon
as we got to the moon, thier stamps for space slowly ended.
I could go on and on for this exciting part of my life,
jim- Hide quoted text -

The Apollo Soyuz (US) stamps are Scott #1569 and #1570.
They were issued on July 15, 1975. They were printed in plates of 96
and broken down into sheets of 24 for sale to the public.

A full sheet of 24 in mint condition would list for $4.80.
Hehttp://cjoint.com/data2/2lvmkz5quuS.htmre is the FDC :

RUSSIAN APOLLO/SOYUZ (ASTP) MISSION
FIRST DAY COVER (#4339-4340),

with a black pictorial first day of issue hand cancel
of Moscow, July 15, 1975, showing the ASTP emblem,
on a vertic al pair of 12k stamps, one showing the
Soyuz spacecraft and the Apollo spacecraft before link up,
& the other stamp showing the Soyuz and the Apollo
spacecrafts linked up. With SPACE VOYAGE
printed cachet: multicolored multipicture cachet
showing the Soyuz and the Apollo spacecraft in orbit
before link up, the ASTP emblem, the two USSR
cosmonauts A. Leonov and V. Kubasov and the
3 USA astronauts T. Stafford, V. Brand, D. Slayton,
with printed text all in russian except this text
in English: "First Day of Issue".

http://cjoint.com/data2/2lvlSghezfP.htm

RUSSIAN APOLLO/SOYUZ (ASTP) MISSION
FIRST DAY COVER (#4338, 4341),
with a black pictorial first day of issue hand cancel
of Moscow, July 15, 1975, showing the ASTP emblem,
on two stamps: 10k value showing the 2 Soyus
cosmonauts and the 3 apollo astronauts with the
USSR and USA flags in the background; the 16k value
shows the Soyuz launch. With SPACE VOYAGE
printed cachet: multicolored multipicture cachet showing
the Soyuz 19 launch, the flags of the USA & USSR,
the ASTP emblem and the two USSR cosmonauts
and the 3 USA astronauts. In Russian except in English:
"First Day of Issue. Baikonur Launch July 15, 1975".

http://cjoint.com/data2/2lvl6K7fPkC.htm
Old November 21st 10, 11:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 20, 6:26*pm, jim wrote:
[...]

Here is the USA FDC :

Old November 21st 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jim

On Nov 21, 6:17*am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Nov 20, 6:26*pm, jim wrote:

[...]

http://cjoint.com/data2/2lvl6K7fPkC.htm- Hide quoted text -

Hello:

I saved the wonderful scans of this famous issue and I am going to
search for them. With no stamp shops in my area, I only have large
shows to do any shopping, and I stopped getting Linns Stamp News years
ago. But there is a lot of
this type of stamp out there. My next ??? question ??? would be how
many were made, and is it worth chasing?
With that I thank you for giving more knowledge of this great area of
stamp collecting.

I take my hat off,
jim
Old November 22nd 10, 09:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Nov 21, 2:44*am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
I also collected during my young years space stamps, and I had every USSR
stamp that was available. I stopped collecting them after I learned that:

I think one would be hard-pressed to find a stamp collector who was
young while space stamps were being issued who did not collect space
stamps for a time. :-) It is a very "romantic" pursuit for a young
boy to imagine.

Being rather young myself even now, when I was collecting as a boy in
the 1980s (while living in Japan and then the U.S.) packets from the
discount stores contained very very many "CTO" Russian space stamps.
They were lovely but, of course, worth utterly nothing. I'd contend
today, though, that they were excellent to ignite the spark of
philately, and perfect for teaching one how to hinge and mount
properly. One needn't worry about ruining a stamp, as it was likely
the hinge was worth more than it! (Probably not literally -- at that
point, hinges were ten-a-penny if I recall correctly -- but certainly
close.)

- The over-expensive Soviet space program, a part of a military one, was
"financed" by a very poor and sometimes even starving population.

Indeed. I don't want to start a long political excursion, but it was
sometimes remarked in the U.S. that the USSR was "a third-world nation
with a first-world military." There is a lot of jingoism to that, but
not an infinite amount.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old November 22nd 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jim

On Nov 22, 4:49*am, Joshua McGee wrote:
[...]

Hello Joshua:

I am not into political things with nations I collect stamps from. I
was introduced to stamp collecting with a free for all
in a upstairs hallway, when a kid says, I have stamps and anyone can
have them. So he tossed the stamps in the air and we all jumped for
them. His father was in US Army in Italy and had a lot of stamps from
that time he was there. I had two sisters with a old Harris book and
collected stamps because two kids down the street was doing it. To
make a story short, I got most of the Italian stamps, and the Harris
book as well. I had a small album but I had nothing to put my
collection in. So I have eight or nine albums with mostly pictures( a
old man's collecting habit) and here I am today.
My Soviet Stamp collection is just that, most or all are CTO's of
Soviet Space, speclial sheets, and some other space stamps from the
soviet block nations. I look back at my life with stamp collecting,
and I want every kid to start thier collection. Today I have stopped
looking, now its taking care of what I own. I am trying to consolidate
my books and stay with Europe upto 1965. But I love my collection and
want to know more.
I like posting here, so that others can learn from me. I have written
for Philatelic Database. COM amd got prizes for my additions to that
site. Try going there. and see what goes on there, I do and enjoy any
inforation on my collecting habits.

Any good Stamp Collecting blogs out ? Why I ask is I am trying to
restart my interests and enhance me retirement.

jim

Missing old friends Jud Coins 19 December 22nd 08 07:37 AM
That attempt pretty much sucked wolfb General Discussion 5 June 18th 05 05:04 PM
FA. GB and BC on eBay inluding GB missing colour, IOM missing phosphor klokken Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 01:16 PM
FA. GB and BC on eBay inluding GB missing colour, IOM missing phosphor klokken Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 01:16 PM
"Phishing" Attempt John Ray General Discussion 7 August 24th 04 10:13 PM