just got my first jukebox

Old March 12th 12, 02:34 AM
jcricket jcricket is offline
Junior Member

Smile just got my first jukebox

Hey Folks, I am in Denver. I was refered here by friends from another audio/music site.

I got an AMI/rowe MM4 jukebox today. Iti s from 1969/1970. It is in working condition, barely, but has a huge amount of potential. I am going to do most of a basic restorations to it.

I am a techy kind of person, worked in industrial machenicsa nd electronics for a good part of my life. I have already located and ordered the service manual for hte model 1100 record changer that is in the unit.

ANyone here familiar with this record changer or jukebox? I have several issues with it that need corrected. The firstbeing that is doesn't track well - it holds a track a lot and goes into that infinite repeat mode. I did also order a new stylus as well - I hope this helps, but I think thre my be more to itthan that.

So, can anyone give me a tip or pointer as to where to look for hte issues with this changer?

I am brand new to this site with this beinghte first post of mine - so thanks to everyone in advance. When I get a little more comfortable with the site I will post picutres too if I can.

More too come.......................

Jcricket - the small voice no one listens to.
Old March 12th 12, 07:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Oldtimejuker

Default just got my first jukebox

--
jcricket

Is the needle getting "stuck in a groove" ? Check for the tone arm
wires (or the rear of the tone arm) rubbing on something. Also lift
the tone arm from the brass post , lay it on the turntable and remove
the white grease. Clean the brass post out with a Q-tip. Put a few
drops of light oil on the tone arm post & re-assemble. Post back
with results/questions. Ray
Old March 12th 12, 10:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim[_4_]

On Mar 12, 2:55*pm, Oldtimejuker wrote:
On Mar 11, 10:34*pm, jcricket
wrote:

[...]

Just wondering-You did try several records on the playback issue?
A new needle always helps!!
Like Ray said-report back.The folks here can give some good info and
are always helpful.
I'm not an ace when it comes to JB.I'm a pinball guy myself,but have
gotten some good help here.
Thanks All !!!!!!
Good luck---
Old March 13th 12, 06:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

Hi "Mr Cricket" and so-on...The 1100 changer series were the best AMI/
Rowe made as far as tone arms. I have two MM1 hideaways in service
using Shure carts and they track reliably at 2 grams.

So things to check:

Look for any signs of tone arm wires binding. There are two extra
wires that trip the reject if the arm finds no record. I remove these
as they add extra drag. Those are connected to a plate on the arm that
the height adjustment screw hits if no record is present.

take a look at the action of the crescent shaped flag at the lower
rear of the arm assembly. It's purpose is to lift the arm but
sometimes it doesn't properly clear due to the tonearm cam not
reaching the proper point on the lift lobe profile or occasionally,
misadjustment. Heavy wear on the lift cam or motor assembly can cause
a need for readjustment.

Another problem in this area can result if the pickup cart is changed
to one with a lower profile. The original was a Shure M44. You can
use any pickup, but the lift adjustment will need to be redone in some
cases -there isn't much tolerance in clearing the gripper bow while
lowering enough to contact the record freely.

---Do not adjust anything here until you know for sure that this is
needed.--

Secondary causes a Dirt particles or dried, gummy oil in the arm
pivot nearing. When washing these mechs, I remove the bearing post
and flush out all old oil. Also clean the arm shaft that fits there
and lube with 10-20 wt oil.

If you are using a 'copy' stylus on the original Shure cart, some of
these have very flimsy stylus cantilevers and thus the stylus bottoms
against the record or hops the groove if it meets any lateral
resistance. Using the steps above, you should be able to use these
styli (I do) but the arm must be completely free.

Original tracking weight was on the order of 5 grams but that is
excessive by today's 'civilized' standards.

Rob/NYC
Old March 13th 12, 06:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 3/11/2012 10:34 PM, jcricket wrote:
Hey Folks, I am in Denver. I was refered here by friends from another
audio/music site.

I got an AMI/rowe MM4 jukebox today. Iti s from 1969/1970. It is in
working condition, barely, but has a huge amount of potential. I am
going to do most of a basic restorations to it.

I am a techy kind of person, worked in industrial machenicsa nd
electronics for a good part of my life. I have already located and
ordered the service manual for hte model 1100 record changer that is in
the unit.

ANyone here familiar with this record changer or jukebox? I have several
issues with it that need corrected. The firstbeing that is doesn't track
well - it holds a track a lot and goes into that infinite repeat mode. I
did also order a new stylus as well - I hope this helps, but I think
thre my be more to itthan that.

Check to see if the cartridge is installed backwards. Some people look
at them and think they are fixing a problem but instead cause one. The
cartridge should "look" like it's in backwards compared to most
turntables but because the tone arm is on the left side instead of the
right side the needle should face the rear not the front.

I've also seen some really bad needles for those boxes that have
practically no compliance. Watch to see if the needle moves upward
somewhat when setting it on the record. It should give a little. Seen
some that are so stiff that they bounce out of the groove when hitting a
loud note!

Need a Jukebox Part for my 1954 AMI F-80 Jukebox woodrails Juke Boxes 1 June 8th 10 12:40 PM
Jukebox technician or jukebox hobbyist in las vegas Joe Weiss Juke Boxes 3 January 27th 08 04:09 AM
Jukebox Dukes Juke Boxes 4 July 12th 06 12:48 AM
Is this a Good Jukebox? Crosley Full Size Jukebox CR-12-10 [email protected] Juke Boxes 1 May 31st 06 11:18 AM
A1 jukebox Ken G. Juke Boxes 4 July 27th 04 12:44 AM