Bank charges for rolled coin deposits

Old August 21st 03, 02:22 AM
Ric Burney

Default Bank charges for rolled coin deposits

I recently made a deposit in my bank that included ten rolls of coins.
The teller told me that they normally charge a fee of ten cents per
roll of coin for any rolls above 4 accepted for deposit. He said that
he wouldn't charge me the fees this time... I felt sooo lucky
I wouldn't want to name names but the initials of this bank are WM.
Anyone elses bank charging them a fee to deposit coin into their own
account? I would like to know as I am looking for a bank (Dallas
area) that won't so I can start searching rolls again.
Old August 21st 03, 02:58 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Ric Burney wrote:

I recently made a deposit in my bank that included ten rolls of coins.
The teller told me that they normally charge a fee of ten cents per
roll of coin for any rolls above 4 accepted for deposit. He said that
he wouldn't charge me the fees this time... I felt sooo lucky
I wouldn't want to name names but the initials of this bank are WM.
Anyone elses bank charging them a fee to deposit coin into their own
account? I would like to know as I am looking for a bank (Dallas
area) that won't so I can start searching rolls again.

Nope, no such fee ever leveled at me! (And there better not ever be one
or I'll yank my account quicker than you can drop a dime!)

What next? A charge for counting $1,000 in twenties?

Alan
'legally tender'
Old August 21st 03, 11:26 AM
Fred

I had a bank charge me for cashing in half dollar rolls. It was a $2 fee up
to $100 counted. I said,"No thanks, and the bank should be ashamed of
itself!" and then I walked out. Luckily, this was not my bank.

Fred
"the nerve"

Old August 21st 03, 12:24 PM
Scottishmoney

"Ric Burney" wrote in message
om...
I recently made a deposit in my bank that included ten rolls of coins.
The teller told me that they normally charge a fee of ten cents per
roll of coin for any rolls above 4 accepted for deposit. He said that
he wouldn't charge me the fees this time... I felt sooo lucky
I wouldn't want to name names but the initials of this bank are WM.
Anyone elses bank charging them a fee to deposit coin into their own
account? I would like to know as I am looking for a bank (Dallas
area) that won't so I can start searching rolls again.

My bank has one of the Coinstar style machines that spits out a receipt you
take to the teller, they do charge something like 9% for non customers and
credit the fee back for customers.

With no fee for customers I find it much easier than rolling coins, except
it culls out the ****** Canadian coins which I have to pawn off on the
teller.

Dave

Old August 21st 03, 12:46 PM
Edward McGrath

It's funny how you can get rolls of pennies from the bank and find
canadian pennies inside the rolls and when you try to return the
canadian pennies you got from that bank they won't accept them. The bank
can give them out but can't take them back : )

Old August 21st 03, 02:38 PM
Fred Shecter

Incorrect.

If they sell you rolls of coins and there are slugs/foreign coins/tokens in the rolls, you
can take them back ALONG WITH THE WRAPPER and get your missing real coins. They need the
wrapper to determine who attempted to steal from them/you. If it's a hand rolled wrapper
it should have the account number of the depositor and they will have their account
debited. If it's a machine wrapped roll, the armored car company that delivers coins to
the bank should be charged AND they need to look at their quality control. They often just
use machines that count and roll instead of sorting (checking weight/electromagnetic
characteristics/diameter/thickness). That's how alien coins end up in machine wrapped
rolls of circulated coins.

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Old August 21st 03, 02:41 PM
Scottishmoney

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
It's funny how you can get rolls of pennies from the bank and find
canadian pennies inside the rolls and when you try to return the
canadian pennies you got from that bank they won't accept them. The bank
can give them out but can't take them back : )

My fave teller will take them back, but then she owes me, I take her $2
bills and pre 1970 half dollars she cannot unload.

Dave

Old August 21st 03, 10:57 PM

I worked for a bank that charged for rolled coins. Actually they
charged for everything; deposits, withdrawals, money orders, bank
checks, and list goes on.

Some people, once you had opened their account, you would never see
again. They were forever using ATM's. Other people you would see every
day of the week and then complain at the end of the month when their
statements arrived showing what their fees were.

I am fortunate that I don't have to pay for these fees, but I can see
the look on the tellers faces when I ask them for customer wrapped coins
only.....Oh, if looks could kill, I wonder how many times I would be
dead. lol.

bob

Old August 21st 03, 11:10 PM
Arthur Hardy

So play their stupid game. Deposit the 4 rolls. Then get back in line

and
depost 4 more. Repeat as needed. At the end, remind them how stupid

their
rules are.

Or really play there stupid game and open up all the rolled coins and dump
them on the counter