Tape Repair Questions

Old December 7th 05, 02:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default Tape Repair Questions

I played an old Carvan tape today and it turns out it needs some attention.
There is a squeak coming from the reel; how is this fixed?
The tape doesn't change channels, so I replaced the sensing foil, but it
still doesn't work. Could this be because of worn pads?
Also, is 'accordioned' tape fixable?
Lastly, is sensing foil still available?
Thanks for any info!

Old December 7th 05, 04:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 02:28:09 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

I played an old Carvan tape today and it turns out it needs some attention.
There is a squeak coming from the reel; how is this fixed? snip

Carts usually don't "squeak," usually they scrape or make other
friction related noises, but this surely isn't impossible. Part of my
cart repair regimen is to lubricate the hub spindle, the pinch roller
post and any point in the bottom of the cartridge shell that the reel
table might touch with DuPont Multi-Use PTFE lube...goes on liquid,
sets as a semi-dry Teflon-bearing grease, and eventually dries to a
very low friction surface.

The tape doesn't change channels, so I replaced the sensing foil, but it
still doesn't work. Could this be because of worn pads? snip

Yes.

Also, is 'accordioned' tape fixable? snip

Only if you're VERY patient and are good with a heated spoon. Mylar
and subsitutes has a plastic state between about 85 and 110°C, so
getting the heat right is paramount if you're going to "iron out the
kinks" in a tape. I tried using a flat iron; the energized heating
coil or grid in an electric iron also makes a fair degausser, so I
use gas heated tools, including a simple teaspoon, to fix many creased
or accordioned tapes, with a high rate of success.

Lastly, is sensing foil still available? snip

Yes. http://www.katestrackshack.com Get a baggie of Win-Gibs® while
you're there!

Thanks for any info! snip

Remember...avoid Charlie Nudo's crap at ALL costs. He's an
unintelligent fraudster.
Old December 7th 05, 11:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

tape it apart, put a tiny smear of oil on the center reel post and
roller post.

change the pads- if it still does not switch tracks, it's a deck
problem- what deck do you have ?

accordioned tape- iron it with an iron, the wrinkles will come out

yes, many sources exist for the sensing foil- so a net search

Old December 8th 05, 01:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Maybe I should pop the whole tape into the oven for a few minutes to get the
wrinkles out...

Old December 8th 05, 01:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:31:01 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Maybe I should pop the whole tape into the oven for a few minutes to get the
wrinkles out... snip

Don't do this. It will warp the shell and doesn't do much to get rid
of the tape damage.
Old December 8th 05, 04:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

(laughter...)

just iron it

Old December 8th 05, 09:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

This spray, is it the blue or orange can, and is it better to have the
liquid or aerosol?

Old December 8th 05, 10:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:31:18 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

This spray, is it the blue or orange can, and is it better to have the
liquid or aerosol? snip

Huh?? What??
Old December 8th 05, 10:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Part of my
cart repair regimen is to lubricate the hub spindle, the pinch roller
post and any point in the bottom of the cartridge shell that the reel
table might touch with DuPont Multi-Use PTFE lube...goes on liquid,
sets as a semi-dry Teflon-bearing grease, and eventually dries to a
very low friction surface.

Which color is the can?

Old December 8th 05, 10:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:36:05 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Part of my

cart repair regimen is to lubricate the hub spindle, the pinch roller
post and any point in the bottom of the cartridge shell that the reel
table might touch with DuPont Multi-Use PTFE lube...goes on liquid,
sets as a semi-dry Teflon-bearing grease, and eventually dries to a
very low friction surface.

Which color is the can? snip

Ah, OK. Sorry, I was lost there for a bit.

I currently use the blue bottle...liquid form. To apply, shake the
bottle VERY well, then simply turn the cart bottom upside down and
apply the nozzle of the bottle to the bottom (now the top) of the post
and let the liquid cover the entire post. Immediately thereafter, do
the capstan post. You can then turn the cart bottom right side up,
and a little of the liquid will pool at the bottom of the posts. If
your casting has one of those little "bumps" in the bottom where the
reel will sometimes ride, use your finger and tranfer a dab there,
too. I usually install the reel and pinch roller as the lube is
setting up, so it's still somewhat liquid. Be sure not to get any on
the tape or the pinch roller surface itself.

One caveat if you use a little too much. When it dries, sometimes
you'll have a little resistance. Once the cart starts moving and it
evenly distributes the PTFE on the bearing surface and squeezes out
any excess, things will be fine. With this stuff, a little dab'll do
ya every time.

dB