Questions

Old March 10th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste

Default Questions

"Jim Menning" wrote:

That's funny, were you around back then? I remember taking business
law classes that covered the differences in minor/adult contract
status, and that was well over 30 years ago.

It's changed a little bit in 30 years. Mississippi was the last state
to lower the "capacity to contract" age to 18, and that was in the late
1980's. (D.C. also sets the age at 18).

But what still varies from state to state is "emancipation" of minors.
Emancipated minors can be legally bound by many contracts, but both
the process and the limits are a matter of state law. Some states
don't recognize emancipation at all. Others require an explicit court
order, and still others recognize some emancipation rights automatically
as a result of marriage or pregnancy.

Some of these changes are quite recent; for example Arizona didn't have
an emancipation statute until 2005.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old March 11th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

The year I turned 21 was the year that the 18 yr olds were allowed to vote
in the general elections. That was more than 30 years ago. There were lots
of laws back then and that was MORE than 30 years ago.

Bob

"sgt23" wrote in message
I know in a few states once you hit 16 or 17 under some laws your not
covered as underage. I know the smoking law is the same in all states.
But I know the sex laws, marriage laws, and weather you can enter in
to a contract a certain age without a co-signer varies. Hell I think
even the age of weather you can get drivers licsens is different each
state. But think about this I know most of this stuff didn't even
exist 30 years ago.

Old March 11th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks[_2_]

sgt23 wrote:
I know in a few states once you hit 16 or 17 under some laws your not
covered as underage. I know the smoking law is the same in all states.
But I know the sex laws, marriage laws, and weather you can enter in
to a contract a certain age without a co-signer varies. Hell I think
even the age of weather you can get drivers licsens is different each
state. But think about this I know most of this stuff didn't even
exist 30 years ago.

Couples in Missouri have been "running off" (eloping) to Arkansas to get married for
over 50 years that I know of (and probably a lot longer) because the legal age to
marry in Arkansas was 14, I think. Also there was no waiting period for a marriage
license. My brother did that in 1951. He was 16 and she was 15. They were married
for 53 years (until her death did they part).

--
©¿©¬
~

Old March 11th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Yeah its 14 in mississippi also, here in Georgia it 16, thats also age
of concent here. Found all this out last year in a law class I took.

Old March 11th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
sgt23 wrote:
[...]

For a very long time the minimum age for getting married in England is 18
while is Scotland it's 16.

Gretna in Scotland near the border with England has been the marriage
capital of the UK for what seems like forever. Billy

3WA Questions Moondog Juke Boxes 1 August 1st 07 01:10 PM
2 questions! Joe Autographs 2 June 3rd 07 03:05 PM
What happens when...(and a few questions also duh!) Lorena R.L Autographs 12 February 5th 06 12:47 AM
Questions for everyone Sue H Autographs 14 December 20th 05 03:22 AM
NSM 240-I questions... ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 0 October 11th 03 11:26 PM