Ebay Pulled my ICCS coins!

Old January 9th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

Default Ebay Pulled my ICCS coins!

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
. ..
"L. HOULLEVICQUE" wrote in message

Since when are Canadians subject to the rules of the American Numismatic
Association

The last time I looked at a map, Canada was still part of North America.
Canadians are as much Americans as anyone living in the US or any other
country in either North, Central, or South America. The citizens of the
United States don't have sole claim to the name "American".

And yes, I will continue my pedantic musings. I can do so because of
teachers. I can do it in English because of our soldiers.

Bob

I have been asked in several foreign countries if I am an American and the
meaning is "Are you from the United States?" and not "Are you from the US,
Canada, Mexico, etc, etc.?"

Old January 10th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

I can't help the geographic ignorance of the residents of other countries.
Every resident/citizen of any North, Central, or South American country has
the right to be called an American, just as those who live in one of many of
the countries of Europe are called Europeans. They also are called by the
name of their country (French, Spanish, German, etc.). I guess USAn's never
caught on... It is awkward to say as well....

Bob

Old January 10th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
. ..
I can't help the geographic ignorance of the residents of other countries.
Every resident/citizen of any North, Central, or South American country has
the right to be called an American, just as those who live in one of many
of the countries of Europe are called Europeans. They also are called by
the name of their country (French, Spanish, German, etc.). I guess USAn's
never caught on... It is awkward to say as well....

Ignorance has nothing to do with it. These same people are quite aware that
American may apply to other countries.
The most common use for the term "American" is "a citizen of the United
States". Yes there are other meanings and yes everyone who lives on the
continent can call themselves an American. Most people realize this. Sit
down and clean out your drawers - this is not a big deal. Get over it.

Old January 11th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"PC" wrote in message

[...]

Also, the USA is the only country in North, South, or Central America to
have "America" as part of its name. Thus, a logical nickname for US
citizens abroad took hold. Regardless, many citizens of South and Central
America do take umbrage if we describe ourselves as Americans in their
presence. They consider themselves just as "American" as we do. So saying
"North Americans" seems to be okay instead, from my experience. Outside of
the Americas, there seems to be no confusion as to who the term applies to.

Old January 11th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

[...] many citizens of South and Central America do take umbrage if we
describe ourselves as Americans in their presence. They consider
themselves just as "American" as we do. So saying "North Americans" seems
to be okay instead, from my experience. Outside of the Americas, there
seems to be no confusion as to who the term applies to.

Out of habit I do identify myself as "from the United States" to avoid any
possible ambiguity.

Old January 11th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"PC" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

[...] many citizens of South and Central America do take umbrage if we
describe ourselves as Americans in their presence. They consider
themselves just as "American" as we do. So saying "North Americans"
seems to be okay instead, from my experience. Outside of the Americas,
there seems to be no confusion as to who the term applies to.

Out of habit I do identify myself as "from the United States" to avoid any
possible ambiguity.

In Central America I found it less awkward to simply say I was a Norté
Americano than to say I was from the United States. Most knew what I meant
and seemed to appreciate my choice of words. They knew I was either from
the States or Canada, and if I were Canadian I would have said so.

Old January 11th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"PC" wrote in message

[...]

In my experience if a Canadian is asked if they are American, because of
their accent, they always reply, no I'm Canadian. Billy

Old January 12th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"PC" wrote in message

[...]

If I were a Canadian, I would always reply "Canadian", too. I don't recall
ever hearing a Canadian refer to himself as an "American". If I were
visiting in Canada and someone asked me where I was from, I would probably
either say Virginia or "the States", never "America". I would say the same
thing most anywhere in the world, except maybe in Baluchistan in which case
I would say "Canadian". I presume that would be okay.

Bruce

eBay & ICCS listings RF Coins 29 October 8th 07 11:46 PM
Many sets pulled out of safe and placed on ebay csbrickyhicks Coins 6 January 26th 06 03:45 AM
Pack Pulled Don Mattingly Autograph Cards On eBay Shlbygt Baseball 0 November 7th 04 11:18 PM
Don Mattingly Autograph Cards all Pack-Pulled on eBay Shlbygt Baseball 0 October 16th 04 01:32 AM
My Ebay Item pulled......please read. Mr Black Autographs 37 March 10th 04 12:58 AM