DEFECTIVE COINS FROM THE U.S. MINT

Old December 2nd 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default DEFECTIVE COINS FROM THE U.S. MINT

The U.S. Mint stamped out almost 10,000, 2007 Presidental
coins missing the Moto "E PLURIEUS UNUM" and
"IN GOD WE TRUST".

Did any of the 2007 Presidental Coins ever get issued?

You see the Moto on THE EDGE of the coins, with
either the letter "D" or "P", and year minted.

P= Philidelphia U.S. Mint
D= Denver U.S. Mint

How does one go about getting these defective
coins?

Old December 3rd 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
The U.S. Mint stamped out almost 10,000, 2007 Presidental
coins missing the Moto "E PLURIEUS UNUM" and
"IN GOD WE TRUST".

I believe every one of the presidential dollars was missing E
PLURIEUS UNUM.

Did any of the 2007 Presidental Coins ever get issued?

You know? I think they may have forgotten !!

You see the Moto on THE EDGE of the coins, with
either the letter "D" or "P", and year minted.

P= Philidelphia U.S. Mint
D= Denver U.S. Mint

Hmmm. I haven't seen Moto on any of the coins. But then I
recall he was a Chinese detective, not a US president.

How does one go about getting these defective
coins?

Wait until they're issued.

Old December 3rd 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:17:18 -0700, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:

The U.S. Mint stamped out almost 10,000, 2007 Presidental
coins missing the Moto "E PLURIEUS UNUM" and
"IN GOD WE TRUST".

Did any of the 2007 Presidental Coins ever get issued?

You see the Moto on THE EDGE of the coins, with
either the letter "D" or "P", and year minted.

P= Philidelphia U.S. Mint
D= Denver U.S. Mint

How does one go about getting these defective
coins?

eBay or many coin dealers have them if you have the $$$!

Where did you see the 10,000 figure?

Old December 3rd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Dec 2, 8:09 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in ...

The U.S. Mint stamped out almost 10,000, 2007 Presidental
coins missing the Moto "E PLURIEUS UNUM" and
"IN GOD WE TRUST".

I believe every one of the presidential dollars was missing E
PLURIEUS UNUM.

Did any of the 2007 Presidental Coins ever get issued?

You know? I think they may have forgotten !!

You see the Moto on THE EDGE of the coins, with
either the letter "D" or "P", and year minted.

P= Philidelphia U.S. Mint
D= Denver U.S. Mint

Hmmm. I haven't seen Moto on any of the coins. But then I
recall he was a Chinese detective, not a US president.

Maybe we can get him and Charlie Chan to solve this mystery for us!

Old December 3rd 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Hello Jon Purkey

some of the text.

FROM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_$1_Coin_Program

Minting errors

On March 8, 2007, the United States Mint announced
that, on February 15, 2007, an unknown number of
George Washington Presidential $1 Coins were
released into circulation without their edge
inscriptions (the U.S. mottoes, "In God we trust"
and "E pluribus unum", the coin's mint mark, and
its year of issuance; i.e. E PLURIBUS UNUM .
IN GOD WE TRUST . 2007 X, where X is either
P or D).[7] Ron Guth, of the Professional Coin
Grading Service, estimates that at least 50,000
coins were released without the edge inscriptions.
The first such coin discovered was sold on eBay
for $600, while later coins were selling $40-$60,
as of late March 8, 2007.[8][9] Because one of
the inscriptions missing from the coins is the
motto "In God we trust", some articles on the
subject have referred to them as "Godless
dollars." [10] [11] Counterfeit "Godless
dollars" have been produced with the edge
lettering filed off. These specimens are worth
face value.[12]

Also, John Adams Presidential Dollars have been
discovered with plain edges. They are lesser in
quantity than George Washington plain edge
dollars, making them rarer, thus more expensive.
Other errors on Adams dollars include doubled
edge lettering and moderate die cracks.

In early March, a Colorado couple found a
George Washington dollar coin missing
stamping on both sides of the coin.[13]

Some of the coins have the words on the rim
struck upside down (president face up). These
are not minting errors, but rather a variation
created by the minting process. Such "upside-down"
coins have been sold on auction websites for
greater than their face value, even though they
represent roughly 50% of the minted
population.[14]

"Jon Purkey" wrote in
message news

Old December 4th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"newsgroup" wrote in message

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
. ..
Mr. Moto was played by Peter Lorre and not Warner Oland or Sidney

Toler....

Bob

=============

And he was Japanese, not Chinese! Sheesh!!
(If anyone says "Whatever", I'll scream.)
Aram.

Heh, that's tempting...

James

Old December 4th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

How does one go about getting these defective coins?

I can't imagine why you'd want one, but just check with any of the
grading services or coin shows. They've been having themselves a cash
cow field day hawking the stupid things as "rare mint treasures" and
the reason is readily apparent. Shop At Home had this one to offer:

2007 George Washington Presidential Dollar
NGC Cert. MS66 Mint Error
No. 12024321 -- $679.99

Question is, do you really want one bad enough to pay a bullion price
for a piece of useless trash?
Old December 4th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:59:28 -0700, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:

Grading Service, estimates that at least 50,000
coins were released without the edge inscriptions.

Good to know. Maybe the price will drop below $30 so I can get one. A
search of completed auctions shows it is getting close, even for
certified coins. Though I'd still prefer a significant die rotation
error.