Tape Repair Questions

Old December 9th 05, 12:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default Tape Repair Questions

take some mineral oil or even sewing machine/3 in one oil, on a Qtip-
and oil the posts for the tape reel and pinchroller

take some alcohol on a paper towel, and clean all the excess graphite
off the roller also

put new pads in- either cut your own or buy them- I sell bags of 100
for $10 on Ebay, they fix 50 tapes

Old December 9th 05, 12:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

spray is a sure formula to have your tape get all gummy and oily in the
future- I gave up on the silicon sprays back in 1982

oil works better

Old December 9th 05, 01:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

table might touch with DuPont Multi-Use PTFE lube...goes on liquid,
I use Lubriplate No. 110 Brake Lubricant.

Old December 9th 05, 01:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

good choice- but not too much

Old December 9th 05, 03:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 01:10:49 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

table might touch with DuPont Multi-Use PTFE lube...goes on liquid,

I use Lubriplate No. 110 Brake Lubricant. snip

Lubriplate is a lithium base "white" grease in most of its forms.
Lithium grease works well in many situations, but still has a
petroleum (oil) carrier, and will dry out over time. You still have
the problem of a petroleum product attacking various plastics. I've
gotten a few carts in where someone has used oil or petro-based grease
to lube the posts, and in all but one case, the post was either
showing signs of cracking or just fell off. I use PTFE because it is
thermoplastic-friendly, is a "dry" lube and lessens friction even
better than traditional grease or oil.

dB