The Value of a Pound?

Old November 21st 03, 01:46 PM
Darren

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:18:04 -0500, Padraic Brown
wrote:

I have in front of me pound and 10/- notes from various places around
the world: England, Scotland, Ireland, Gibraltar, Malta, West Africa,
Palestine, New Zealand and Australia (I'm sure there are others, I
just don't have any to hand). Mostly they are from Imperial or early
Commonwealth times.

Just got back from Cyprus and I have a couple of the 2001 issue one
pound notes if you wanted to add to your collection.

Drop me an email with your mail address if you're interested.

Thanks
Darren

Old November 21st 03, 02:01 PM
Darren

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:32:17 -0500, Padraic Brown
wrote:

Malta, Cypriot,
Palestinian(later Israeli) £ notes started varying with independence in
those countries. I know the Maltese £ became the Lira, and retained more of
it's value in relation to sterling, however the Cypriot £ has lost some.

Yeah. The Maltese pound is $US2.74, while sterling is about $1.60 or
so.

Cypriot pounds are currently at around $2.00 although there was talk
while I was there about them maybe devaluing the pound as part of
their preparations for joining the EU.

Ireland tied it's pound to sterling until 1978, when after concerns about
the British Pounds variations caused the Central Bank of Ireland to break
the tie. For a very short period, the Irish £ was worth more than sterling,
however since that time sterling was worth more than the Irish £. You can
read a rather lengthy narrative on this on the Central Bank of Ireland's
website, I found the whole discussion rather interesting as you could gain
some insight on how currencies are valued.

I'll look into that.

I have a 1937 Irish One Pound issued by the Irish free state currency
commission which shows itself as One Pound Sterling and only
redeemable in London. Don't know if this persisted when the free state
became Eire which was around about the same time. Any one know the
reasons?

BTW Scottish Pounds are valued the same as BoE pounds, however some exchange
places in continental Europe will attempt to devalue them by 1-2% in
relation to BoE notes if you don't protest.

That's crap!

I know but they still keep printing 'em :]

Darren

Old November 21st 03, 03:09 PM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:46:27 +0000 (UTC), Darren
wrote:

Just got back from Cyprus and I have a couple of the 2001 issue one
pound notes if you wanted to add to your collection.

Drop me an email with your mail address if you're interested.

Thanks! I'll do that!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old November 25th 03, 03:49 AM
Serenus Zeitblom

Padraic Brown wrote in message . ..
The question is this: what was the relationship between all those
pounds? Were they all equal to the pound sterling or were there
different valuations? (Obviously, the Scottish pounds are.) Were they
at all interchangeable? - could an English pound be spent anywhere or
could a West African pound be readily exhanged if not spent in
England?

And what about the Iraqi and Kuwaiti dinars? Were they really
just "pounds" by another name?

In a similar vein: I am told that the Indian rupee was fixed
at 15 to the pound for many years. What about the other
colonial currencies like the dollars of HongKong and
Malaya, and the east african shilling?

Buying crusty ole ancients by the pound - advisable? Scot Kamins Coins 17 June 7th 04 04:20 AM
Those Plastic One Pound Round Containers Larry Louks Coins 4 February 11th 04 11:35 PM
A Pound of Paper... James Calhoun Books 7 January 12th 04 02:36 PM
British Pound Notes Arwel Parry Coins 2 November 21st 03 01:22 AM
Colonial One Pound Note Darren Paper Money 4 August 7th 03 06:04 PM