How do I find out the value of my cards ?

Old July 15th 03, 11:34 PM
HOCKEYCARDDEPOT

Default How do I find out the value of my cards ?

Yeah go to www.ebay.com
Old July 15th 03, 11:56 PM
Kevin Jeffers

"HOCKEYCARDDEPOT" wrote in message

Yeah go to www.ebay.com

That's different. What a card is worth and what people are willing to
pay are two different things. I use ebay a lot and I see people refer to
the 'book value' of the card. What is the book ?

Old July 16th 03, 03:46 AM
HOCKEYCARDDEPOT

Actually its the same thing. everycard is really worth less than a penny based
on paper value, but what people will pay for it on the market (ebay) is what
its worth.
Old July 16th 03, 03:59 AM
Larry St. Cyr

Kevin, the book that everyone refers to is the Beckett high value. You can
either purchase the magazine monthly or go to beckett.com. I think you can
look up one or two free or subscribe to the online pricing. Hope that helps.
Larry

news:1d30bc1f898a4ae735115ac23094cd4e.58564@mygate .mailgate.org...

Old July 16th 03, 06:02 AM
HOCKEYCARDDEPOT

Why give a new collector the Beckett illusion? So he can get his hopes up and
never sell his cards for 10% of it? The truth hurts but let him hurt him now it
will be an easier blow.
Old July 16th 03, 12:51 PM
Walt

"Larry St. Cyr" wrote in

Kevin, the book that everyone refers to is the Beckett high value.

You can either purchase the magazine monthly or go to beckett.com. I
think you can look up one or two free or subscribe to the online
pricing.

Actually you can look up as many as you want at no charge. It is
painfully slow as you can only do one card at a time BUT if you have
the time and patience you can look up as many as you want. It is a
LOT easier of course to purchase the magazine.

Old July 17th 03, 03:23 AM
JSokol1626

Ron
Thats the most ridiculous statement I've heard in a long time. Do you really
believe this hobby and the value of its cards are based solely on EBAY? What
makes you think everyone in the hobby has an EBAY account and that those who do
are constantly scanning for cards?

Very true that if you don't market a product well on EBAY, the price will
suffer. It has little to do with the appeal of a card. Look how many people
post auctions and then misspell the player's name.

If it doesn't sell on EBAY its worth nothing? And EBAY prices are what we
should all charge? I think theres a few thousand shop and show dealers that
might strongly disagree with that.

Theres lots of cards out there that sell low on EBAY but still get a good buck
in local markets.

Hockey always gets murdered on EBAY, but it does well at shows.

And yes Beckett is not perfect, but its a guide, not a bible. Its certainly
useful.

Old July 17th 03, 08:23 AM
HOCKEYCARDDEPOT

Wah wah Js at it again. Of course everything is worth what beckett says big
guy, thats why hobby shops cant stay in business. The ones who do like yourself
hold onto this illusion and bash ebay, but I am sure you dont mind buying off
the site.
Old July 18th 03, 12:48 AM
yoeleven

JS,

I don't think what I said is off the mark. Card shows, here in
Colorado, are all but extinct. Card shops? I'm not sure where to
find one anymore. Like it or not, the internet has impacted this
hobby greatly. I used to break a lot of stuff keep what I liked and
sold stuff off in shows. Than along came the internet. Suddenly I
was hooked up with guys all over the country. I was sending all of my
Wings stuff to a guy in Detroit and my Flyer stuff to a guy in Philly
and so on and so on. Then, in turn, they sent me all their Avalanche
stuff. Sadly, no more set building. That seemed to be a good idea
for a while. Than came Ebay. Once most everyone got hooked up, it
was just about over for the shows and greatly impacted trading with
guys in other cities. They just kept the stuff and posted it on ebay.
If you do well at shows or over the counter god bless you. There sure
aren't many of you left. Keep up the good work.