Interesting WWII Cover...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 18th 03, 11:01 AM
Bob Watson

Default Interesting WWII Cover...

I know that some of you are interested in WW2 covers and a member of our
stamp club brought in one tonight that even caught my attention!

It was an Australian airmail cover with a Japanese stamp surrounded by
Australian stamps and postmarked "HMAS Hobart". Posted on the day of the
signing of the armistice in 1945, the included letter described the
massive show of naval strength put on by the US Navy for the occasion. I
gather that HMAS Hobart was there as the Australian representative.

The member said that he was given the letter some years ago and that was
what got him started on the hobby. He said he was relieved that he
didn't soak the stamps off as he did with so much else he was given at
the time....

I am trying to persuade him to put together an album page for the Golden
Tongs Award, but just in case he doesn't, I thought I would pass it on.
There probably aren't too many Penny Blacks or Cape Triangles still
hanging around in closets or attics, but I'm sure letters like this will
be coming to light for years yet.

All the best,
Bob Watson