PCGS Problem With There Dipping Process

Old January 5th 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Grade-It

Default PCGS Problem With There Dipping Process

I sent to PCGS coins for bulk submission 108 came back in a ms66 and higher
grade...

I glassed them all and found 75 have major hairlines.

I contacted pcgs around December 17,2010..about this since I had 288 in
slabs waiting for shipment and another 100 not finalized to a ms66 minimum
grade

I asked them to look at my slabs before shipment because I thought the cause
might be there "dipping" process just a heads up with no treat ...

Because of my questioning there grading ability, I am now not allowed to
submit to PCGS As this quote states in there letter.. "Mr XXXX you are no
longer a customer of PCGS"

I was given the chose have them send the holdered coins to me or they would
crack them and send back the raw coins. I chose them to send back the coins
in the holder..

The 288 I warned them, there might be a problem of massive hairlines, and to
check them before shipment. I glassed last night and 131 had massive
hairlines in holders.

Old January 5th 11, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Grade-It

"Beanie" wrote in message ...
Sounds like troll talk..

Come to the FUN SHOW and see for yourself. Table 126

All over the place on these graded coins is exactly the problem.

Can not be more direct than that or honest.

You realize that the final say is from PCGS. ( perhaps massive hairlines are
acceptable for a ms66 grade ?..)

My comments can only be factual. (chain of letter to and from PCGS on this
issue) (original submission forms) ( PCGS grade form with serial numbers of
these coins) (The coins in PCGS holders) All available at the FUN show

Old January 5th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Grade-It" wrote in message

"Beanie" wrote in message ...
Sounds like troll talk..

Come to the FUN SHOW and see for yourself. Table 126

All over the place on these graded coins is exactly the problem.

Ah, so that explains it perfectly.

Can not be more direct than that or honest.

I believe there is indeed more room for directness on your part. At least
enough to keep us from scratching our heads.

You realize that the final say is from PCGS. ( perhaps massive hairlines
are acceptable for a ms66 grade ?..)

Many of us at 66 or higher consider massive hairlines to be acceptible and
actually quite attractive.

My comments can only be factual. (chain of letter to and from PCGS on this
issue) (original submission forms) ( PCGS grade form with serial numbers
of these coins) (The coins in PCGS holders) All available at the FUN show

So what would you have rcc readers do for you?

Old January 5th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"Grade-It" wrote in message

"Beanie" wrote in message ...
Sounds like troll talk..

Come to the FUN SHOW and see for yourself. Table 126

All over the place on these graded coins is exactly the problem.

Can not be more direct than that or honest.

You realize that the final say is from PCGS. ( perhaps massive hairlines are
acceptable for a ms66 grade ?..)

My comments can only be factual. (chain of letter to and from PCGS on this
issue) (original submission forms) ( PCGS grade form with serial numbers of
these coins) (The coins in PCGS holders) All available at the FUN show

Your semi-literate initial post made wild accustaions that PCGS was "dipping"
coins and/or somehow caused the damage to you coins.

Old January 6th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

I am not aware that PCGS bulk dips coins, and I have been an
authorized dealer for 19 years. I get all their monthly mailouts and
newsletters about all their new services over the years and occasional
binders of information and rules, never once have I seen them offer
dipping services.
Old January 6th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Jan 5, 7:33*am, "Grade-It" wrote:
"Beanie" wrote in ....
Sounds like troll talk..

Come to the FUN SHOW and see for yourself. Table 126

All over the place on these graded coins is exactly the problem.

Can not be more direct than that or honest.

You realize that the final say is from PCGS. ( perhaps massive hairlines are
acceptable for a ms66 grade ?..)

My comments can only be factual. (chain of letter to and from PCGS on this
issue) (original submission forms) ( PCGS grade form with serial numbers of
these coins) (The coins in PCGS holders) All available at the FUN show

Anybody at FUN stopped by this table? It's listed to Mike Ellis,
former ANACS and ICG grader...who knows the difference between "their"
and "there."
Old January 7th 11, 08:50 AM
anaconda anaconda is offline
Junior Member

Location: Colorado and Costa Rica

PCGS dips coins?
Old January 7th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

Default Do you really think that only the bottom 5% of PCGS and NGC coins are ugly?

"anaconda" wrote in message

There was a thread that I loosely interpret as essentially stating or
intimating that CAC is around to protect buyers from buying the bottom
5% of the coins out there in holders.

Do you really believe that only the bottom 5% of the coin are either
overgraded or more importantly ugly....coins that buyers should be
protected from?

I believe that probably about 80% or 90% of the coins I have seen in
holders are coins that I absolutely would not recommend for anyone.
Sorry but that's how I see it.

I wouldn't go so far as 80-90% but there are clearly some very ugly coins with
high grades from PCGS & NGC.
Technically, I suppose the coins merit their grade level based purely on
technical standards that obviously do not include "eye appeal".
Hence "+", "*" and CAC try to pick up the slack for this.
Just remember the old adage "Buy the coin, not the slab".
This is even true on high grade modern issues.
I bought a PCGS MS69 1998S Kennedy Matte Finish Half from a well known dealer
that advertises extensively in the major trade publications and had to return
the coin and its replacement 3 times before I got a sample that actually made
the grade (IMO).
Nicks, ugly discoloration and other flaws seem to pass muster by PCGS for MS69.
Eventually I got a coin that looked good but not until after I spent almost $20
in return postage!

Old January 8th 11, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
anaconda wrote:

There was a thread that I loosely interpret as essentially stating or
intimating that CAC is around to protect buyers from buying the bottom
5% of the coins out there in holders.

Do you really believe that only the bottom 5% of the coin are either
overgraded or more importantly ugly....coins that buyers should be
protected from?

I believe that probably about 80% or 90% of the coins I have seen in
holders are coins that I absolutely would not recommend for anyone.
Sorry but that's how I see it.

YO, Adrian! (Sorry, always wanted to do that somewhere ...).
Nice to have you back.

I must be quite a bit less picky than you ... I consider about fifteen
or twenny perzent of the top-tier slabs I look at as "good for the
grade" or better, about thirty or forty perzent as "yeah, I can see how
they gave it that grade but I sure wouldn't buy it as that" and the rest
"how in the hell did THAT ever get into that holder?".

I always encourage my customers to "buy the coin and not the slab", but
I still see many of them buying some pretty ugly cr*p from other deelers
a lot of the time ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com

PCGS...problem...what to do? MKW Coins 2 February 8th 09 06:29 AM
Dipping Dennis G. Rears Coins 225 August 4th 07 12:58 PM
Problem with the PCGS web site?? Wes Chormicle Coins 1 June 19th 06 02:13 PM
What is dipping, exactly Lyntoy1 Coins 11 August 14th 03 03:41 AM
Dipping John Coins 5 July 31st 03 03:30 AM