India to mint 10 rupee coin

Old September 29th 04, 08:39 PM
John Stone

Default India to mint 10 rupee coin

http://sify.com/news/othernews/fulls...hp?id=13578270
Old September 30th 04, 02:46 PM
Dave Allured

John Stone wrote:

http://sify.com/news/othernews/fulls...hp?id=13578270

FYI

FXConverter - 164 Currency Converter Results
http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
Thursday, September 30, 2004

1 US Dollar = 46.03000 Indian Rupee
1 Indian Rupee (INR) = 0.02172 US Dollar (USD)
Old September 30th 04, 03:51 PM
Michael E. Marotta

I don't know if this is still true, but my information is less than 10
years old. People in India do not like dirty money. There are money
launderies that clean old banknotes.

Also, I have had a heck of time finding R1 notes without staple holes
in them. My interest is in the communication satellite shown in them.
Apparently, they are stapled into packs somewhere along the lanes of
commerce, most likely in banks.

I don't know if the coins will be easier to wash or less likely to be
sent in for washing.

Finally, it will be interesting to monitor this over time to see if
the coins circulate against paper money in the same denomination.

Michael
Old September 30th 04, 04:14 PM
Mame

I was under the impression it was the mint that stapled the notes together
to keep them in bundles???

Mame

om...

Old September 30th 04, 05:53 PM
Jeff R.

"Mame" wrote in message
I was under the impression it was the mint that stapled the notes together
to keep them in bundles???

Mame

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...

Also, I have had a heck of time finding R1 notes without staple holes
in them. My interest is in the communication satellite shown in them.
Apparently, they are stapled into packs somewhere along the lanes of
commerce, most likely in banks.

I have a stapled "pad" of 100 x 2 Rupee note, sealed inside a plastic bag
which sure *seems* to be "official" (i.e. Reserve bank) issue. Of course it
could be after-market, but I had always assumed it was bank issue.

ISTR (did I read it here?) that the practice had been curtailed.

--
Jeff
(not adding much, sorry)

Old September 30th 04, 07:33 PM
note.boy

I think that the printing works or the bank staples the notes together
as when any are offered by dealers it always says, "with the usual
staple holes".

It's a very odd practice, does any other country do it? Billy

Old September 30th 04, 10:02 PM
Andrew

Yes noteds from India are stapled together from the printing works
This has now been stopped but it was only about 1999 that the practice was
ceased
Some other countries in that regeon also staple banknotes together
Regards
Andrew

Old September 30th 04, 10:12 PM
Padraic Brown

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:33:24 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

I think that the printing works or the bank staples the notes together
as when any are offered by dealers it always says, "with the usual
staple holes".

It's a very odd practice, does any other country do it? Billy

TIbet did. I saw a tied packet of Tibetan notes at a show once. Sorry
I didn't enquire further, though!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.