How would you improve Krause catalogs?

Old July 26th 05, 08:57 PM
Owen Linzmayer

Default How would you improve Krause catalogs?

I was at a recent banknote show in Santa Clara, CA and I got to discussing
the current Krause Standard Catalog of World Paper Money with several other
dealers and collectors.

It seems nobody is entirely thrilled (putting it mildly) with the current
catalog. What would you like to see changed if you were in charge of the
banknote catalogs? Are there any errors you've spotted that are repeated
every year?

Old July 27th 05, 12:41 AM
San_Miguel98

Just a few...

Taiwan currency listed as Yuan instead of Dollars.

Tajikistan catalog values are under face value.
(P-19 value: $25.00, exchange rate value: $36.00)

North Korea 5000 Won (P-46) is listed at $300.00, which is more than $200
over actual value.

Egypt 1 Pound (P-50) shows the world-famous abu simbel temple listed as just
"archaic statues"

Fed. Rep. Germany 50 DM (P-21) front listed as a "male portrait with cap
painted by an unknown swabian painter." The portrait is of Hans Urmiller
painted by Barthel Beham.

and of course, all of Somalia is missing!

Old July 27th 05, 02:36 PM
CoinDude

Owen Linzmayer wrote in
:

I was at a recent banknote show in Santa Clara, CA and I got to
discussing the current Krause Standard Catalog of World Paper Money
with several other dealers and collectors.

It seems nobody is entirely thrilled (putting it mildly) with the
current catalog. What would you like to see changed if you were in
charge of the banknote catalogs? Are there any errors you've spotted
that are repeated every year?

If I was in charge I would switch to 100% full color glossy pages and
publish it in a big binder of some sort. You would only have to buy it
once. There would be quarterly updates you can buy and put into the binder.
The catalog values would be in a separate section in the back that you
could also update quarterly. In addition to the normal catalog values I
would list each note's current legal-tender status, it's face value at the
current exchange rates (both official rate and street rate), and some
indication of how it's value has been trending. I'd also list the current
rate of inflation for each country. I think collectors would get a lot of
use from a book like that.
Old July 28th 05, 02:29 AM
Padraic Brown

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:36:23 -0500, CoinDude wrote:

Owen Linzmayer wrote in
:

[...]

Hm. Care to take bets on how likely it would be for Krause to ever
even consider such a useful book?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old July 28th 05, 03:37 AM
Scottishmoney

"Padraic Brown" wrote in Hm. Care to take
bets on how likely it would be for Krause to ever
even consider such a useful book?

Padraic.

An easy bet to make with a fat wager, never!

Old July 28th 05, 04:31 AM
Nooker

offer a CD version !

Mark

(hey Owen, we must have just missed each other at SC again . . . I'm going
to the ANA show Saturday , you?)

Old July 28th 05, 06:15 AM
Owen Linzmayer

Mark,

I was at the SC show for only an hour or so, and blew through the ANA today.
Will definitely be going back, but perhaps on Thursday instead of Saturday.
Picked up a number of nice notes at Gary Snover's booth, and one really nice
older Madagascar from Mel & Jeremy Steinberg. Drop me a line via email with
your current contact info, OK?

Old July 28th 05, 07:42 AM
Owen Linzmayer

On 7/26/05 4:41 PM, in article
, "San_Miguel98"
wrote:

Just a few...

Taiwan currency listed as Yuan instead of Dollars.

Tajikistan catalog values are under face value.
(P-19 value: $25.00, exchange rate value: $36.00)

North Korea 5000 Won (P-46) is listed at $300.00, which is more than $200
over actual value.

Egypt 1 Pound (P-50) shows the world-famous abu simbel temple listed as just
"archaic statues"

Fed. Rep. Germany 50 DM (P-21) front listed as a "male portrait with cap
painted by an unknown swabian painter." The portrait is of Hans Urmiller
painted by Barthel Beham.

and of course, all of Somalia is missing!

Thanks for your suggestions. Good ones each and every one. I stopped by
Krause's booth at the ANA show today in SF, hoping to find an editor for the
catalog there so that I could ask about missing Somalia. Will let you know
if I find out anything promising.

If you think of anything else that's screwed up and needs fixing, do shareŠ

Old July 28th 05, 07:46 AM
Owen Linzmayer

On 7/27/05 6:36 AM, in article ,
"CoinDude" wrote:

Owen Linzmayer wrote in
:

[...]

I, too, thought it would be neat if you could buy updates instead of
entirely new books every year. Obviously Krause prefers to sell new books
every year, but who knows what the economics are of publishing a
higher-quality newsletter of the sort you suggest?

Perhaps the trick is to sell individual countries as self-contained eBooks,
with updates posted online?

When you say you'd like legal tender status, do you mean if a note is still
redeemable? So it sounds like you'd like a sort of MRI Banker's Guide to
Foreign Currency.

As for exchange rates, would it be sufficient to show against US dollar
only?

Old July 29th 05, 12:08 AM
CoinDude

Owen Linzmayer wrote in
:

I, too, thought it would be neat if you could buy updates instead of
entirely new books every year. Obviously Krause prefers to sell new
books every year, but who knows what the economics are of publishing a
higher-quality newsletter of the sort you suggest?

Perhaps the trick is to sell individual countries as self-contained
eBooks, with updates posted online?

When you say you'd like legal tender status, do you mean if a note is
still redeemable? So it sounds like you'd like a sort of MRI Banker's
Guide to Foreign Currency.

As for exchange rates, would it be sufficient to show against US
dollar only?

Yes, I like the MRI guide. Would be nice to mix that info with the Krause
book. If they made online version available like Greensheet does the
exchange rates would be no problem. The computer could easily deliver a
price guide based on any currency in the world. They could limit the
printed version to 4 or 5 leading currencies. I'm sure someone will do this
someday.