Got A Counterfeit At The Bank

Old September 25th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Default Got A Counterfeit At The Bank

scottishmoney wrote:
This morning I went to the bank and made the weekly withdrawl. One of the
$100's just didn't quite look right the ink was a bit off. I looked at it up
against the overhead light, and sure enough, it was Abraham Lincoln's
watermark, not Ben Franklin's.

Someone had apparently bleached a $5 and printed the $100 over it. The crazy
thing was handing it back to the teller and telling her it was a
counterfeit, she did not believe me and used the counterfeit detector pen on
it. Of course it appeared authentic according to the detector pen, because
the paper was real. I had her look at the watermark, and sure enough she
verified she saw Lincoln too. The pen thing would have thrown her, because
this was a bleached $5 bill that was used, so the paper was good, but not
for a $100 bill.

If it had been up to a $20 I would have kept it as a curiousity, but a $100
is a bit much to swallow. I subsequently found out that there have been a
rash of them circulating in our area lately. The teller had purchased it
from another teller earlier whom had taken it in from a deposit. Somebody
was not careful when they took in money today.

I have always thought counterfeits were something I woudl never find -
surprise!

That is precisely why the $5 was recently redesigned - to improve the security
of the $100.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old September 25th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Jim Menning

"Michael G. Koerner"

That is precisely why the $5 was recently redesigned - to improve the security of
the $100.

Documentation, please.

Old September 30th 08, 12:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

"Michael G. Koerner"

That is precisely why the $5 was recently redesigned - to improve the
security of the $100.

Documentation, please.

The BEP replaced the watermark of Abraham Lincoln with the numeral 5 on the
Series 2006 notes, the colourised ones at least. So if you have a couple of
fivers, one say 2001 or 2003, and then one of the colourised 2006's you will
notice the change.

Old October 1st 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Jim Menning

"scottishmoney" wrote in message

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

"Michael G. Koerner"

That is precisely why the $5 was recently redesigned - to improve the security of
the $100.

Documentation, please.

The BEP replaced the watermark of Abraham Lincoln with the numeral 5 on the Series
2006 notes, the colourised ones at least. So if you have a couple of fivers, one
say 2001 or 2003, and then one of the colourised 2006's you will notice the change.

Wrong answer. Where does the government say they did this "to improve the security
of the $100" bill?

The link provided earlier only mentioned this to make it more visible to vision
impaired persons.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney.../currency/new5

"Other Features:

Low-Vision Featu The large, easy-to-read number "5" in the lower right corner on
the back of the bill, which helps those with visual impairments distinguish the
denomination, is now enlarged in the new $5 bill design and printed in high-contrast
purple ink."

Old October 1st 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 09/30/2008
at 06:26 PM, "Jim Menning" said:

Wrong answer. Where does the government say they did this "to improve the
security of the $100" bill?

It took me about 45 seconds of googling to find this:

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2006...-094637-3384r/

"But officials said changed their minds in part so they can respond to a new
scam in which counterfeiters are bleaching the ink off $5 notes and then
printing counterfeit $100 bills on the bleached paper. 'We have to stay
ahead of any threats we see evolving," said Larry Felix, director of the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing'"

Nick
Old October 1st 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Jim Menning

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on 09/30/2008
at 06:26 PM, "Jim Menning" said:

Wrong answer. Where does the government say they did this "to improve the
security of the $100" bill?

It took me about 45 seconds of googling to find this:

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2006...-094637-3384r/

"But officials said changed their minds in part so they can respond to a new
scam in which counterfeiters are bleaching the ink off $5 notes and then
printing counterfeit $100 bills on the bleached paper. 'We have to stay
ahead of any threats we see evolving," said Larry Felix, director of the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing'"

Nick

Thanks Nick.

I'd still like to see more posters here back up their statements with documentation
rather than just assuming everyone will take their statements to be absolute fact.

The official government declaration to the public for the redesign of the $5 bill
made no mention of the bleaching $5 bills and printing over them. That's why I asked
for supporting evidence, which Michael seemed unable to do.

Even the article you quote mentions the issuance of the redesigned $5 bill to be only
"in part" due to the bill bleaching, not "precisely why the $5 was recently
redesigned" as Mr. Koerner suggests.

I would suggest the reason for the almost full redesign of the $5 bill was to make it
itself less duplicable, rather than to prevent them from being used to create fake
$100 bills out of. Not surprising to me, that is what the official government link I
quoted earlier stated.

Old October 1st 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

at 06:26 PM, "Jim Menning" said:

Wrong answer. Where does the government say they did this "to improve
the
security of the $100" bill?

It took me about 45 seconds of googling to find this:

Wow, Nick is so cool. Only 45 seconds! I bow to his greatness.

Old October 1st 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"But officials said changed their minds in part so they can respond to a
new
scam in which counterfeiters are bleaching the ink off $5 notes and then
printing counterfeit $100 bills on the bleached paper. 'We have to stay
ahead of any threats we see evolving," said Larry Felix, director of the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing'"

Nick

Thanks Nick.

I'd still like to see more posters here back up their statements with
documentation rather than just assuming everyone will take their
statements to be absolute fact.

It's not like everyone is going to believe what's said on USENET and take it
back to the coffee shop and repeat it. Yeah, some are, and I get a kick out
of them sometimes.

The official government declaration to the public for the redesign of the
$5 bill made no mention of the bleaching $5 bills and printing over them.
That's why I asked for supporting evidence, which Michael seemed unable to
do.

Even the article you quote mentions the issuance of the redesigned $5 bill
to be only "in part" due to the bill bleaching, not "precisely why the $5
was recently redesigned" as Mr. Koerner suggests.

I would suggest the reason for the almost full redesign of the $5 bill was
to make it itself less duplicable, rather than to prevent them from being
used to create fake $100 bills out of.

Are you sure? If you were going to counterfeit a bill would you do a $5 or
a $100?

Not surprising to me, that is what the official government link I
quoted earlier stated.

mk
stuck at the coffee shop trying to earn a hunert dollar bill.

Old October 1st 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money,rec.collecting.coins
Jim Menning

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message
owncomputing...

I would suggest the reason for the almost full redesign of the $5 bill was to make
it itself less duplicable, rather than to prevent them from being used to create
fake $100 bills out of.

Are you sure? If you were going to counterfeit a bill would you do a $5 or a $100?

Ask Francis Leroy Henning.

$5 bills pass without much scrutiny. I've never seen a store clerk use the detector
pen on anything less than a $20 bill.