"French Printed" banknotes?

Old June 28th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Dave

Default "French Printed" banknotes?

I'm in the process of updating my website with notes that I consider "French
Printed". I realized I'm not sure if that definition corresponds with my
collection, though. For early notes (say pre-1970) it's my understanding
that Banque de France printed many notes for the various colonies, and even
some notes from Greece, Belgium, Yugoslavia, etc. If that's correct (could
someone confirm?) then these certainly would fall under a category of
"French Printed".

Then after 1970 or so (I'm making that date up, perhaps I'm off by a decade
or so) as these colonies were independent (yes, I realize Greece and others
were never French colonies), the notes from these countries remain with a
similar "look" in their designs, though they're a bit more modern and not on
paper that feels quite as much like cloth as the earlier French notes. A
good example are all the notes from West African States, potentially up to
the current notes (though I don't have any from about the last 10 years to
verify).

I'm curious as to whether there is a strict definition of the term "French
Printed" (as used on eBay, etc) that actually does correspond to notes that
are printed in France, and whether the current notes from W.A.S and other ex
colonies are actually printed in France? Or has the term been used pretty
losely, simply as a visual cue to this "look" that started with Banque de
France?

Thanks
Dave

Old June 28th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Greece really only had the "French printed" notes for the 1935 issue, they
were replaced in 1939 with notes printed by Bradbury Wilkinson. Belgium did
have very close notes to those of France, but they were usually designed by
Belgian artists, such as Emile Vloors.

The nation that had notes influenced by French artists, and or printing in
some cases the most was Romania. Their note history goes back to the 1877
issue, which followed the notes of France remarkably closely. Subsequent
notes, with the exception of the small change notes of 1917, were designed
by French graphic artists, such as Clement Serveau and were circulated until
rendered valueless in 1947.

Here are some Romanian notes:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...a/romania.html

And:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...niaindex2.html

But even with the strong French influence, the notes occasionally had
designs by Romanian artists such as Nicolae Grigorescu, designer of the 1000
Lei note, and current subject of the 10 Lei note of 2005.

Curiously some French influenced notes, seemed to have spawned influences of
their own:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...laos/laos.html

Notice the similarity to the French Indochina 100 Piastres of 1950?

With regards Africa, there are numerous countries there still using French
influenced notes, see Madasgascar, Togo, Cameroun etc.

Old June 28th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Dave

"scottishmoney" wrote in message

Greece really only had the "French printed" notes for the 1935 issue, they
were replaced in 1939 with notes printed by Bradbury Wilkinson. Belgium
did have very close notes to those of France, but they were usually
designed by Belgian artists, such as Emile Vloors.

The nation that had notes influenced by French artists, and or printing in
some cases the most was Romania. Their note history goes back to the 1877
issue, which followed the notes of France remarkably closely. Subsequent
notes, with the exception of the small change notes of 1917, were designed
by French graphic artists, such as Clement Serveau and were circulated
until rendered valueless in 1947.

Here are some Romanian notes:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...a/romania.html

You've got a wonderful website there David. I've been spending my Saturday
morning with a cup of coffee looking at all the lovely notes and reading
about them.

Thanks for the info, too.

Dave