what if an old USD bill is NOT collectible

Old May 9th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

Default what if an old USD bill is NOT collectible

Hi all,

I've got an old one hundred dollar bill from 1934, "series of 1934 A".

It's probably not worth anything more than it's face value (from what
I've read in this group, I see they're still very common) but I still
have
a question to all the collectors out there.

It's in bad shape, it has apparently circulated a lot (but not a lot
in
these last 50 years as I found it at my old aunt's place and nothing
there really moved these last 50 years

Very bad photograph here (taken with my MacBook's internal camera :

http://users.skynet.be/fa287483/usdBill1.jpg

and here too:

http://users.skynet.be/fa287483/usdBill2.jpg

Are bills like this one in the U.S. always worth at least their face
value?

Can I pay with that 1934 bill in a shop ?

And will they ever be worth at least their face value? By that, I
mean, will
I always be able to trade this $100 bill from 1934 for a more recent
bill?

(I ask because here, in Europe, we're now all using Euros and our
'old'
bills, from the various local countries, were only 'valid' up to some
point.
In my country I think I could still change old bills by going to the
'national bank' but that's it : they're not accepted anywhere else).

I also found quite some $100 bills from 1950 (some plain 'series
1950',
some 'series 1950 B', some C's and some D's). I'm going to the U.S.
now.

If I don't need the money, is there any point in changing them to
newer $100 bills or can I keep them for ever in a safe, knowing that
they'll always be worth at least $100 ?

I mean, without taking into the fact that I could put this on an
account
and earn interest

Also on the Wikipedia article on the one hundred dollar bill here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ed-dollar_bill

It says that the 'spikes' where added to the Federal Reserve seal in
1950.

However my bill states 'SERIES OF 1934 A' (hard to read on my bad
photograph but it's 1934) and the green seal has 'spikes' apparently.

Slight error on Wikipedia ?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Alex

Old May 9th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Michael G. Koerner

wrote:
[...]

Your note is likely real and yes, has its full USA$100 face value. The BIG
question is "Will the merchant accept it?". 'Small head' USA$100 notes have
been disdained in recent years due to the very real threat of international
counterfeiting. Also, if it is in the condition you state, it likely has a
collector value of only a few dollars above 'face'.

You could always try eBay if you want to sell it - OR, you have a neat family
heirloom. :-)

BTW, the 'green' seal is the US Treasury seal and the 'black' one is the
Federal Reserve seal.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old May 9th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

On 9 mai, 18:36, "Michael G. Koerner" wrote:
Your note is likely real and yes, has its full USA$100 face value. The BIG
question is "Will the merchant accept it?". 'Small head' USA$100 notes have
been disdained in recent years due to the very real threat of international
counterfeiting.

What if I go with my several 1950 $100 'small head' (series B, C and
D's, I've
got quite some of them) to a bank?

Bah, I'll try : plane is leaving soon for the U.S. and I'll be there
for quite some
time.

You could always try eBay if you want to sell it - OR, you have a neat family
heirloom. :-)

excellent, I'm not a native english speaker so I just learned what
"family heirloom" means

And, yup, that old one from 1934 found in some random european cave,
I'll
keep it as a family heirloom.

hehe.

BTW, the 'green' seal is the US Treasury seal and the 'black' one is the
Federal Reserve seal.

gotcha

Thanks for your quick answer.
Old May 9th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

I got a Series 1934 $100 at the bank just this afternoon, my oldest in a
couple of years. In circulated condition they don't have much of a market,
my local dealer sells them for about $105 or so.

--
My Website on Numismatics - Scottish in Particular:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney

Old May 10th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Michael G. Koerner

wrote:
On 9 mai, 18:36, "Michael G. Koerner" wrote:
Your note is likely real and yes, has its full USA$100 face value. The BIG
question is "Will the merchant accept it?". 'Small head' USA$100 notes have
been disdained in recent years due to the very real threat of international
counterfeiting.

What if I go with my several 1950 $100 'small head' (series B, C and
D's, I've
got quite some of them) to a bank?

USA banks should take them with little difficulty. When you do change them,
get mainly $20s, as merchants in the USA often don't like giving more than a
few dollars in cash for change - it has to do with security and a desire to
keep as little cash at the ready as possible for robbery prevention and not
necessarily any leeriness regarding counterfeiting.

Bah, I'll try : plane is leaving soon for the U.S. and I'll be there
for quite some
time.

Enjoy the USA, it is an incomprehendably vast and varied nation, far more so
than the European Union.

You could always try eBay if you want to sell it - OR, you have a neat family
heirloom. :-)

excellent, I'm not a native english speaker so I just learned what
"family heirloom" means

And, yup, that old one from 1934 found in some random european cave,
I'll
keep it as a family heirloom.

hehe.

:-)

BTW, the 'green' seal is the US Treasury seal and the 'black' one is the
Federal Reserve seal.

gotcha

Thanks for your quick answer.

You're welcome. :-)