ANA is not the World's largest numismatic group

Old October 4th 03, 07:49 PM
oly2059

Default ANA is not the World's largest numismatic group

The ANA is not the World's largest numismatic group, not by a long
shot. The World's largest numismatic group are THE FORMER LIVING
MEMBERS OF THE ANA, which must total at least 175,000 persons. That's
approximately twice the number of persons who subscribe to Coin World,
nearly six times the number of persons who subscribe to Numismatic
News and also nearly six times the number of Living Current Members of
the ANA!!! Can 175,000 persons be entirely wrong?

The fact the C. Cipoletti and the ANA Board don't recognize this and
try to do something about it is the biggest reason to be pessimistic
about the future of the ANA.

Bob Olson, ANA member since 1978.
Old October 4th 03, 08:22 PM
R. M. Craig

While lost memberships do represent a large number, and for the sake of
discussion I'll accept 175,000, they do not make a universal statement that
the ANA is failing to the degree suggested by that number.

A high number of those members are not really serious about collecting or
lost the interest indpendent of any ANA influence.
Some, but not all are a considered vote against membership.

The CNA has similar stats ......gift memberships courtesy R C Mint promos
too often die after one year, but I suggest many of those could not be saved
even with a "perfect" parent association.........not everyone who
experiments with our hobby sticks to it.

Please note I lost my 2 favourite columns in the new Numismatist, so I have
my disenchantment too, but to use one rather off the wall statistic to make
a universal conclusion is I think a bit much........

If I may express a personal reaction to both ANA and CNA memberships where
"value received" is concerned, I stay with them almost purely for social
reasons.......being in contact through a common medium with others who share
my obsessions.

rmc

Old October 5th 03, 04:44 PM
AnswerMan2

The fact the C. Cipoletti and the ANA Board don't recognize this and
try to do something about it is the biggest reason to be pessimistic
about the future of the ANA.

If this really were a fact you would have ample grounds for pessimism. However,
it is not a fact because the board has been doing battle with this problem
almost since the ANA was first organized. The current board would welcome
ideas from the members that could improve member retention, but before you
offer suggestions consider that they probably already have been tried and have
failed. It would be great if we could wave a magic wand and get those 175,000
ex-members back - less the large number that have died in the meantime - but I
don't know of any numismatic group - large or small - that isn't having similar
membership problems.

Lastly, let's modify my statement to meet your complaint by saying that the ANA
is the largest organized numismatic group in the world. That is a fact.
Alan Herbert
ANA Governor
Old October 5th 03, 05:14 PM
JSTONE9352

The fact the C. Cipoletti and the ANA Board don't recognize this and
try to do something about it is the biggest reason to be pessimistic
about the future of the ANA.

I think he recognizes it but he and the
board haven't figured out a way to turn
around the situation. It is a serious issue of course. The average age of
an ANA member is somewhere around the
mid 50's. In 30 years most will probably
be gone. Unless the ANA can attract
younger members...well you can see where things might be headed.
Old October 5th 03, 05:38 PM
Bob Peterson

This is a problem for coin clubs all over, and for the coin industry.
Younger people typically do not have the time and money to put into coin
collections, as they are spending it on other things (like educating their
children). The only solution I have heard is to try and interest younger
collectors in less expensive coins, but its hard to convince people to
collect wheatbacks that are not interested in them. I like foreign coins
and tokens (and other forms of exonumia such as wooden nickels) because
there is a wide variety of interesting stuff out there, and its far more
affordable.

A lot of collectors started collecting in the 40s and 50s when you could get
really neat coins out of circulation. Now, most coins are pretty blah,
until the state quarter program came along. I think maybe a redesign of our
coinage is in order. Personally, I would like to go back to allegorical
figures, rather than the politically charged issue of what political hack to
put on a coin.

Wouldn't it be neat to have barber quarters again in circulation? Or
buffalo nickels? How about WL halves? All of these were great coin
designs, and I think maybe its time to bring them back. How about we start
by bring back the IHC?

Old October 5th 03, 07:03 PM
JSTONE9352

This seems to be true of many special interest/hobby organizations
these days. Will the kids and 20-somethings be playing computer games
and IMing their friends to the exclusion of all other interests for
the rest of their lives?
Barry

Yes, its a problem in many areas. Fraternal organizations like the Eagles
and the Elks are also having problems
attracting younger members as are many
hobby organizations.

I think the structured format of many
organizations are a turnoff to many younger people who like things more
informal.
Old October 5th 03, 07:08 PM
Harv

"AnswerMan2" wrote in message
[...]

Well let's see.. what have I gotten for my membership so far, which I think
cost me either $30.00 when I signed up at the ANA table at the first Long
Beach Show this year..

In no particular order -

a) Monthly issues of The Numismatist..
b) A big 3" bronze ANA oil lamp / 2000 Calendar Medal which was promised to
me as a signup spiff since I already had a loupe and didn't want the video
tape which I'd already seen..
c) A small 1" bronze ANA oil lamp Medal which was first sent to me and then
I complained that I was promised the big 3" bronze medal.. I complained, the
ANA woman who had made the promise made good on it and the big metal was
sent to me..
d) A $2.00 discount twice on admission to the Long Beach Coin Show..
e) Ability to submit directly to NGC.. which I have taken advantage of..
f) Ability to purchase coin collection insurance at a decent rate through
the ANA's carrier on which I had to submit a claim a month later when a
shipment of valuable coins was rifled and stolen in transit to me.. the
insurance carrier was dragging their feet until I called the ANA and got an
executive to rattle their cage, and then I got very prompt and satisfactory
settlement including the check FEDEXed to me..
g) Ability to vote in the recent ANA election (in which I voted for you

So far, that's it. I would say that being a member for half a year, I have
more than gotten value for my $30.00 membership fee.. and with all this in
mind, I am quite likely to renew my membership next year..

Harv

Old October 5th 03, 07:29 PM
Bob Peterson

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message
This seems to be true of many special interest/hobby organizations
these days. Will the kids and 20-somethings be playing computer games
and IMing their friends to the exclusion of all other interests for
the rest of their lives?
Barry

Yes, its a problem in many areas. Fraternal organizations like the Eagles
and the Elks are also having problems
attracting younger members as are many
hobby organizations.

I think the structured format of many
organizations are a turnoff to many younger people who like things more
informal.

There is also the problem that many such organizations have a definite clich
structure that is very hard to break into. Some organizations realize this
is a problem and work to deal with it, others don't and tend to wither on
the vine. Look at all the local moose clubs, masons lodges, fraternal
groups, and similar organizations that have died off in the last couple of
decades. Its hard to sustain a club like that with ten or twenty 70ish
geezers who do nothing but complain about the rest of the members, a few
50ish members who do the work, and a few dozen newbies who leave after a
year or two because they are never part of the group.