Influx of Talers from China!

Old February 14th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

Default Influx of Talers from China!

I've been watching more and more talers being listed on eBay by Chinese
sources. Some are rarer examples, some are more common. However, there has
apparently been a hoard of Hog Mouth talers recently uncovered there. These
3 turned up this morning, looking very similar to others I noticed earlier:

Interestingly, on the last 2, the reverses have the same odd wavyness I
noticed on a piece from an earlier listing. Roller dies can cause some
wavyness, but to have them look so similar is unusual.

I'm just not that much of an expert to prove to anyone (eBay in particular)
that these are bogus. I just know I'd never bother even at the starting
bids.

Nick
Old February 14th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

� �http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270344544527

� �http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120378400392

� �http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120378400718

Interestingly, on the last 2, the reverses have the same odd wavyness I
noticed on a piece from an earlier listing. �Roller dies can cause some
wavyness, but to have them look so similar is unusual.

I'm just not that much of an expert to prove to anyone (eBay in particular)
that these are bogus. �I just know I'd never bother even at the starting
bids.

Nick

Not only is the wavyness the same, the wear is identical also. These
coins are certainly fakes, as I'm sure are all the other offerings
from this seller.

I hope that our local eBay cops will take time off from harassing
Frank Provosek to jump on this guy.

Bob
Old February 14th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on
02/14/2009
at 07:39 AM, Bob said:

On Feb 14, 9:22 am, "Nick Knight" wrote: I've been
[...]

Sorry for over-quoting. It seems to be "the norm" here now, so I thought
I'd be a bit abusive myself to say so.

The forth for today just popped up. Same reverse oddness, and another 3 day
auction. Wild:

Nick
Old February 17th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 02/14/2009
at 12:18 PM, "Nick Knight" said:

The forth for today just popped up. Same reverse oddness, and another 3
day auction. Wild:

And just today, yet-another one with the same reverse:

Unfortunately, while I reported 3 of the previous 4 pieces to eBay as fakes,
they are still listed. Even worse, there are multiple bidders.

Check out the feedback on the latest seller. Apparently he sold someone a
"false" coin. With all of 10 feedbacks and 1 is a neg, it seems odd that
this seller would list a bogo and hope to get bids. Well, let's see how
silly my comments are when he sells it

Nick

Beware of Buying Coin Sets on Trips to China if DOS Approves China Request Goldbug Coins 1 September 24th 06 04:46 PM
Question re Talers Jim McGlashan Coins 2 September 22nd 06 11:30 AM
Transylvanian Uniface Talers? Anyone Familiar with These? Nick Knight Coins 17 November 14th 04 07:13 PM
German Talers at the 2004 ANA Nick Knight Coins 6 August 22nd 04 06:24 PM