Rock-ola 2000X Laser ( 100 CD )

Old July 9th 12, 05:29 PM
Riyka Riyka is offline
Junior Member

Red face Rock-ola 2000X Laser ( 100 CD )

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have the above jukebox , i bought it with the CD "Jammed" in play.

It looks like it has loaded the CD onto the laser , and stopped. The arm is still down and CD on player.

I have power to the mech board , but the highest voltage to it from the main board is 5-6V which i dont "think" is enough to power the cd loading mech....?

I might be wrong , if so , does anyone have an idea how to make it eject the cd on the player?

Thanks !!

Richard
Old July 9th 12, 06:40 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Richard,

Most likely, the gripper and trunion assembly is bound up due to dried out grease / lubricant. The gripper is the "bow" shaped arm that grips the CD as it transfers to and from the CD magazine (big wheel with lots-a-slots).

First, REMOVE ALL POWER TO THE MACHINE.

Second, locate the gripper motor by looking at the base of the gripper assembly and you will find a set of gears meshing with each other. On the underside of the mechanism shelf, you will see the gripper motor. On the end opposite the gearbox and output shaft, there will be the end of the motor armature sticking out of the housing. It will have a knurled texture.
Try turning this armature shaft in either direction as see if you can "unload" or "eject" the CD from the player and clamp assembly. You will probably need to try both clockwise and counter-clockwise rotation.

IF, you cannot do that, the culprit is either a gummed up trunion OR, in the rarest of cases, a stripped gear. In the event you are quite the mechanic (not electronic tech) you can disassemble the trunion, clean, lubricate and reassemble it to resolve the problem. SOME PEOPLE would advise you to shower-soak the trunion in WD-40 to get it to turn loose. This may work, or not, and will only delay the inevitable of cleaning and lubricating the assembly.
However, if you do decide to do the complete tear-down and cleaning job, pay careful attention to how it is all put together. Some of the gears will operate only when in a certain configuration.

At any rate, you should always operate the gripper/trunion by hand until you have sufficiently gotten it to work. I think you might also find a blown fuse somewhere in the power supply or on the mechanism control board.

BTW, this gripper assembly is identical in operation to the earlier 45 rpm units, but with the gripper bow downsized for CD's and the alternating stop for A side vs. B side removed and a "permanent" one put in its place. Ergo, someone with vinyl Rock-Ola jukes could probably help you out in the event you need it.

Respectfully,

David Rebber
Old July 9th 12, 08:48 PM
Riyka Riyka is offline
Junior Member

Thanks David for your quick reply, Will try that tomorrow and let you know.

Regards

Richard
Old July 10th 12, 05:55 PM
Riyka Riyka is offline
Junior Member

Unfortunatly this did not work..... :-(

I got the CD back into the carousel but not much else happened....

If you put it onto "Scan" nothing happens , and no lights on the mech board.

I have "Re-set" the memory chip ( U22 ) and noticed that a chip at U59 is missing ? dont know what that does...

You can put money in and get credits , put in song selections , but that is it !

From what i can see the Mech board is getting only 5v max into it. The Relay on the board ( I asume the reversing relay for the mech ) has 24V on it.

As such I have gone back to where the ribbon cable comes from the "System 4 " control unit and found a couple of inputs from the Power Distributer to the Control unit are 12V DC , a couple are 5V . All outputs are only 5V

So , next is the Power Distributer , The +26VDC regulator gets very hot , the +5.7VDC regulator get hot , but not as near as the +26VDC one.....

This is where i am stuck , i think the power distributer may be the issue but unfortunatly Electrics are not really my thing , but im learning !!

Any help would be great !

Thanks

Richard
Old July 12th 12, 11:37 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Richard,

Quick lesson:
When the computer decides the magazine should scan around (i.e. going to home on power up, scanning to find selection or home, or the scan button is activated) it sends a logic level signal to the power supply. The circuitry in the power supply biases the regulator for the +24VDC circuit and it conducts. The only thing the Mechanism Control Board does is direct which motor (magazine or gripper) gets that voltage.

My second guess, being armed with your new info, is that regulator has failed or something else is shorting the +24VDC and causing the excessive heat. Make sure some other person has not over-fused the +24VDC power supply inputs OR that a fuse has blown OR that the bridge rectifier circuit for that voltage supply has failed. IF memory serves me, you can disconnect the input to the Mechanism Control Board from the Power Distribution Assembly and still get a +24 volt potential on the outputs of the PDA. You can also eliminate a bound up motor, mech, gripper, etc. by "de-meshing" the output gear from it's counterpart and seeing if the motor runs.

The B-I-G-G-E-S-T problem with used equipment, is that you never know what someone else has done as a "fix", found it didn't work, and just left it as-is and sold it. You might need to start with the assumption of just such a situation and check all components in the +24 circuitry. (I found a 32V zener in place of the 24V one in a similar juke and it caused the magazine to scan continuously)

Just as with the gripper assembly, the power supply and logic are very similar to the last generation of vinyl jukes made by Rock-Ola. Ergo, if you know someone who is knowledgeable of later Rock-Olas, you might get some help from a "vinyl" mechanic.

BTW, I looked on my schema's and did not find a U59 in the circuitry. It may have been omitted for some reason like not needing to invert a series of signals or something.

I realize that all this is not much help, but my crystal ball is in the shop and my magic wand was chewed up by the dog. Curiously, though, I haven't seen any cats in the neighborhood for a while..... ;-)

Let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Respectfully,

David
Old July 13th 12, 09:13 PM
Riyka Riyka is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRebber View Post
Richard,

I realize that all this is not much help, but my crystal ball is in the shop and my magic wand was chewed up by the dog. Curiously, though, I haven't seen any cats in the neighborhood for a while..... ;-)

David
LOL !! I know its hard to try and trouble shoot online , but your advise really does help point me in the right direction. The Mech is not badly "Gummed" up and moves ok (ish)

Thanks for looking at the schema's about U59, that is one thing off my list.....

My collection of Rock-ola's are from 50's-70's , i was offered this and as there are not many of these over here so thought it would be an interesting project..... But this is always the problem ......why someone else would sell something when its not working and not fix it themselves.
I will replace the regulator next and see if that helps.

thanks again for your help